Albert Brown came to Colorado from Woodston Kansas with his three brothers in 1907. In 1911 he filed on a 320 acre homestead 8 miles southeast of Yuma. Shortly after he received his patent his future wife Thelma arrived from Haddam, Kansas in 1918. She attended Greeley Teachers College and taught school for one year in the Yuma County District 17 until she and Albert married in 1919. Together they worked the land and raised four children into adulthood. Principle crops were dryland corn, wheat, cereal rye, black amber cane for seed and livestock feed and Fremont cane for livestock feed. The homestead survived grasshopper invasions, jackrabbits devouring crops, cutworms, severe hailstorms, ever constant lack of rain, and the dirty thirties. Albert and Thelma continued to add acreage and upon Albert’s death, sold the entire ranch to her grandsons Don and Duane. Duane would later sell his half to sister-in-law Peggy with whom Donald continues to operate the farm today.