Commandant of Cadets Building, U.S. Air Force Academy
1016 Boston St.
National Register 4/24/2007, 5AH.2908
The Commandant of Cadets Building is the most intact remaining resource associated with the original site of the U.S. Air Force Academy at Lowry Air Force Base from 1955 to 1958. Founding of the academy followed the designation of the U.S. Air Force as a separate branch of the military in 1947 and recognized the importance of air power in the Cold War. The Air Force is the only branch of the military that had an interim site for its service academy. The three-year operation of the Academy at Lowry enabled the Air Force to gain a head start in the commissioning of officers before the permanent facility opened near Colorado Springs. The Lowry building actually dates to World War II. Put up quickly in an effort to rapidly mobilize the nation’s defense in the months after the Pearl Harbor attack, the military never intended these temporary buildings to remain in place for long. Although once plentiful at military bases throughout the region, base closures and demolitions have severely depleted their numbers. This building is a rare surviving example of temporary WWII era military construction. (2006 and 1955 photographs.) More information (PDF, 1.38 MB).
170 S. Chambers Rd.
National Register 2/9/1989, 5AH.457
This may be the only round barn in Colorado today. Round barns and silos were popular in the first decade of the 20th century, largely in the Midwest. The rafters on the interior converge toward the center with an impressive dizzying effect. The barn is an example of new techniques used by dry land farmers on Colorado’s plains; it was originally built to be a silo but was later converted for use as a barn.
200 S. Chambers Rd.
National Register 1/9/1986, 5AH.204
This house, moved to its present site in 1983, has been restored to its earliest known date of construction - 1871. The dwelling is associated with Aurora’s agricultural beginnings. Thomas Gully, an Irish immigrant, ran a ranching operation out of his home, as did his descendants until the 1950s. The house was a center for community activity, serving as a polling place for local school district elections.
Jamaica Primary School
800 Jamaica St.
National Register 5/1/2017, 5AH.3602
Located in the Havana Park subdivision, the Jamaica Primary School was completed in 1958. Situated at the center of a neighborhood of mid-twentieth century Ranch houses, the school was originally designed as a small community school with eight classrooms for kindergarten through third grade students. The school was one of twenty-five new schools constructed by Aurora Public Schools between 1945 and 1970 as the district struggled to keep up with the city’s booming population. Twenty-one of these schools, including Jamaica Primary, were built by the Denver-based architectural firm of Atchison & Kloverstrom. The Jamaica Primary School features a flat-roofed, single-story design, irregular layout planned around a courtyard, steel-frame construction with brick facing, large bands of windows, minimal ornamentation, exterior doors to individual classrooms, and a multi-purpose room. Colorado Springs-based firm Lamar & Kelsey designed the small addition at the rear in 1970. Jamaica Primary School is locally significant in the area of Education and Architecture. The property meets the registration requirements outlined in the Colorado’s Mid-Century Schools, 1945-1970 Multiple Property Documentation Form. More information (PDF, 4.5 MB)
4950 S. Laredo St.
National Register 1/5/1984, 5AH.164
A frame schoolhouse built in 1922, Melvin now stands three miles from its original location. Its exterior white clapboard and square belfry reflect the school’s time and purpose. The belfry was recreated using photo documentation. Most of the interior has also been authentically restored; one classroom demonstrates the furnishings of a 1920s rural schoolhouse, while a second is now a museum and library. The property is associated with the Rural School Buildings in Colorado Multiple Property Submission.
Seventeen Mile House
8181 S. Parker Rd., Aurora vicinity
National Register 10/6/1983, 5AH.17
The Seventeen Mile House, a squared log, one-story structure covered with clapboard, typifies early construction in a western frontier community. It served as a stopping place for gold-seekers and settlers traveling along the Smoky Hill Trail into the Rocky Mountains. The trail stop is one of the last two remaining mile houses along the immigrant trail. Mary Hightower, the earliest known owner of record, moved onto the property in 1866, using a military bounty land warrant originally issued to James Baron in the early 1850s. Adjoining the house is the original stage barn, built by Nelson Doud in the mid to late 1870s, with its high roof and sturdy interlocking wood-pegged beams.
William Smith House
412 Oswego Ct.
National Register 9/26/1985, 5AH.280
William Smith was prominent in the development of Aurora’s public schools in the late 19th century and served 50 years as secretary of the school board. Denver architect Joseph Wilson designed the house in the Foursquare style. It remains largely as constructed in 1910. However, the farms that once dominated the surrounding landscape have been replaced by residential neighborhoods.
Foster Buell Estate
2700 E. Hampden Ave.
National Register 4/1/1998, 5AH.222
The Foster Buell Estate is an excellent example of Colonial Revival residential architecture as expressed by the prominent Denver architectural firm of brothers William and Arthur Fisher. The landscaping is credited to the celebrated landscape architect, Saco DeBoer. The estate, completed in 1920, served first as the residence of prominent banker and businessman Alexis C. Foster and later became the home of architect Temple Buell.
3200 E. Quincy Ave.
State Register 6/25/2015, 5AH.2906
Architect Edwin Francis designed the 1952 Francis-Petry House for himself and his family. The home is a good example of an eclectic Tudor Revival home from the mid-twentieth century. Character-defining features include the irregular floor plan, the steep roof pitch, the massive chimneys with multiple flues and elaborate chimney pots, the use of grouped tall windows, and the use of running bond brick with half-timbering as the main exterior wall material. More information (PDF, 658 kb).
1 Littleridge Ln.
National Register 5/29/1998, 5AH.1432
The 1941 estate, designed by Denver architects Gordon Jamieson and Ewing Stiffler, is a good example of the Tudor Revival style in a residential building.
9 Sunset Dr.
National Register 9/3/1998, 5AH.1431
The 1925 Maitland Estate is a good local example of the Tudor Revival style, designed by two of Colorado’s most prominent architects, brothers Merrill and Burnham Hoyt. The estate was the home of Denver business leader James Maitland who operated the Colorado Builders’ Supply which, during World War II, he converted into a major munitions manufacturing plant for the U.S. Army.
3901 S. Gilpin St.
National Register 9/17/1999, 5AH.1569
Dating from 1923, the Owen Estate is located on approximately five acres of extensively landscaped grounds. Overall, the feeling is of an English country manor. Designed by Denver architect Merrill H. Hoyt, the large brick Tudor Revival style residence and the associated outbuildings exhibit quality in their design and craftsmanship.
Roughly bounded by E. Bates & E. Dartmouth Aves., and S. Marion & S. Franklin Sts.
National Register 11/3/1998, 5AH.1434
Arapahoe Acres, built from 1949 to 1957, represents new patterns of residential development after World War II. The neighborhood forms an excellent collection of houses displaying the defining characteristics of the International and Usonian styles of architecture. Developer, designer and builder Edward Hawkins, a local pioneer in modern residential development and construction, was primarily responsible for the overall design of the neighborhood and most of the individual houses. Architects Eugene Sternberg, a regional master of mid 20th century modern architecture, and Joseph Dion, a prominent local modernist architect, also designed houses in the district. More information (PDF, 8.64 MB).
David W. Brown House
2303 E. Dartmouth
National Register 4/10/1980, 5AH.162
A rare example of the Prairie style in the Denver area, the house was built and occupied by David Brown, a founder of the Rocky Mountain Fuel Company. George Williamson, who also designed the Daniels and Fisher tower in downtown Denver, was the architect. A semi-octagonal turret acts as a focal point and intercepts the horizontal roof. The interior’s dark wood paneling, spiral staircase, and period chandeliers leave the impression of wealth and position. The house has 6 fireplaces and 18 rooms.
Cherry Creek Schoolhouse
9300 E. Union Ave.
State Register 12/8/1993, 5AH.168
Constructed in 1874, this wood frame rural schoolhouse served as a school until consolidation forced its closure in 1951. The building is now located on the campus of Cherry Creek High School.
3431-3435 South Broadway, Englewood
State Register 9/30/2016, 5AH.3564
Built in 1924 as part of the developing South Broadway commercial corridor in downtown Englewood, the two-storefront, single-story Dransfeldt Building was the long-time home (1924-53) of The Englewood Herald and Enterprise, the prominent local newspaper that emerged from the 1923 consolidation of The Englewood Enterprise (founded 1910) and The Englewood Herald (1920). More information (PDF, 2MB)
3090 S. Galapago St.
State Register 11/9/1994, 5AH.778
The 1915 depot is the last remaining wood framed and stuccoed Mission Revival style depot formerly operated by the Santa Fe Railroad in Colorado. The City of Englewood relocated the depot to its present site in 1994.
Englewood Post Office
3332 S. Broadway
National Register 7/7/2011, 5AH.269
The 1937 Englewood Post Office is significant in the area of Politics / Government, Community Planning and Development, architecture, and for its national significance in the area of Art for its 1940 mural by important American artist Boardman Robinson. Robinson played a prominent role in the national development of the American mural movement of the 1930s; in the creation of important New Deal murals in Washington D.C.; and, as Art Director of the Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center, in the creation of a mural-painting curriculum that resulted, between 1936 to 1940, in the award of forty federal mural commissions to his students and twenty to members of his teaching staff. The mural is one of only three major murals by Boardman Robinson to survive intact in its original location; it is one of only two examples of Robinson's work associated with the U.S. Treasury Department's Section of Fine Arts Program; it is Robinson's only United States Post Office mural; and it has distinction as the sole major Robinson mural to reflect the impact of Colorado regionalism on his stylistic evolution. More information (PDF, 4.41 MB).
4400 E. Quincy Ave.
National Register 4/24/2007, 5AH.2932
The Hopkins House, part of the Hopkins Farm, is an excellent local example of the high style Classic Cottage subtype. The house exhibits the various elements defining the high style variant, such as 1½-story height, multiple dormers, a Palladian style window with classical columns on the facade dormer, Tuscan porch columns, and bay windows on two sides. The farm itself is a rare extant example of a 1930s agricultural complex of a type that has all but disappeared from urban Arapahoe County. Architect Roland Linder designed the complex that consists of a large and a small barn, horse stables, and chicken coop in their original layout. Though the farm was one of many dairy operations along East Quincy Ave., it is now possibly the last remaining one able to convey this early farming history of the area. (2006 photographs.) More information (PDF, 1.94 MB).
Key Savings and Loan Association
3501 S. Broadway
National Register 7/18/2016, 5AH.2990
The 1967 Key Saving and Loan Association building represents the transformation of the previously conservative American banking industry into a consumer-oriented service business in the post-Depression and post-World War II period. To signify this transformation, the industry rapidly adopted modern architecture for its buildings. The building is the work of established Colorado modernist master architect and engineer Charles Deaton and is an excellent and rare example of post-war Sculptural Expressionist design in the state. More information (PDF, 7.3 MB).
2349 E. Orchard Rd.
National Register 6/25/1992, 5AH.459
This 1914 brick schoolhouse served children in the Greenwood Village area until 1967 and now houses a center for the arts. It became the focus of local community life and reflects the era before school district consolidation. The school retains its original brick walls, decorative wooden shingles in the gable ends, and stone trim. The property is associated with the Rural School Buildings in Colorado Multiple Property Submission.
Arapaho Hills Historic District
Bounded by Arrowhead (N) and W. Berry Rds. (S) and
S. Lowell Blvd. (E) and S. Manitou Rd. (W)
National Register 8/28/2012, AH.3316
The Arapaho Hills subdivision, constructed between 1955 and 1964, reflects new patterns in the post-World War II period and their influence on the development of new forms of suburban residential subdivisions. It is associated with a group of local Modernists in design, architecture and construction and for its demonstration of the distinctive characteristics of a unique type and period –Modernism in suburban residential development in the post-World War II period. This nomination falls within the historic contexts and registration requirements outlined in both the nationwide Historic Residential Suburbs MPDF and the Historic Residential Subdivisions of Metropolitan Denver 1940-1965 MPDF. Arapaho Hills can be considered a domestic subdivision among the subtypes developed in the latter. More information (PDF, 15.33 MB).
2305 W. Berry Ave.
National Register 1/21/1999, 5AH.729
From 1927 until 1973, the home was operated by an international association of hotel workers as a recuperative care facility for its members from throughout the United States. The International Geneva Association was founded in 1877 in Geneva, Switzerland and spread to the United States during the early 20th century. Additions, in 1941, to the wood frame Craftsman style building reflected the need for more space and the evolution in health care practices, while retaining the overall residential appearance of the property.
1860 W. Littleton Blvd.
National Register 10/6/2004, 5AH.1985
The circa 1925 Knight-Wood House, a one-and-a-half-story, side-gabled residential building with its associated garage, are excellent local examples of Craftsman style architecture. The house displays the defining characteristics of the style such as the low pitched gabled roof, overhanging eaves with exposed rafters, gabled dormers, a front porch with tapered porch supports, and multi-light over single-light windows. Original interior features include the wood staircase, oak window and door trim, baseboards, and fireplace mantel. In addition to the house, the property contains an intact Craftsman-style garage with its original vehicular doors, an increasingly rare resource. (2004 photograph.) More information (PDF, 1.50 MB).
Littleton Main Street Historic District
2299-2599 W. Main St. (except 2340, 2350, 2376), 5671, 5711 S. Nevada St., & 5686 S. Sycamore St.
National Register 4/8/1998, 5AH.1430
Beginning in 1890 and extending through the first half of the 20th century, the district’s history is associated with the development of politics and government, commerce, and transportation within Littleton’s commercial core. Constructed primarily of brick, the one and two-story buildings reflect an eclectic mix of architectural styles ranging from Italianate to Art Moderne. The National Register listed Littleton Town Hall, a 1920 terra cotta clad Italian Renaissance design by noted architect Jules J.B. Benedict, is located within the district.
Littleton Town Hall
2450 W. Main St.
National Register 9/4/1980, 5AH.161
Denver architect Jules J.B. Benedict designed this 1920 building to provide space for an assembly hall, town offices, and the fire department. Benedict’s work was inspired by the Palazzo della Ragione in Vicenza, Italy. Local expression in detail and materials includes the state flower, the columbine, sculpted into the incised ornamentation on the second story. The property is associated with The Architecture of Jules Jacques Benois Benedict in Colorado Multiple Property Submission.
East of Strasburg, near railroad mile post 602
National Register 8/10/1970, 5AH.163
At this site on August 15, 1870, the last spike was driven into the first continuous transcontinental railroad. The completion of railroad bridges over the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers allowed all rail transport over this route. An unpretentious white monument marks the spot which is named for a nearby creek crossed by the railroad. The property is associated with the Railroads in Colorado, 1858-1948 Multiple Property Submission. (1970 photograph.)
Denver & Rio Grande Railroad Baggage-RPO Car No. 624
Railroad & Monroe Sts.
State Register, 11/20/2008, 5AH.3006
An important example of an early 20th century railroad car type, the 1914 car was designed specifically to handle the collection and distribution of mail in regular passenger train service, while also providing space for passenger baggage handling and express freight. Its layout and design clearly convey its function. The car is also significant for its role in the important partnership of railroads and the U.S. government in the delivery of the mail in the first half of the 20th century. The railroads provided a fast, reliable, and efficient means of moving mail across the country. Many passenger trains survived after the 1950s only because of the mail contracts bringing in revenue. More information (PDF, 1.53 MB).