150 County Rd. 260
State Register 3/8/1995, National Register 3/1/1996, 5CC.654
The local community built the school in 1909, and it served the educational needs of the area until 1959. The impressive structure is an interesting local expression of the Italian Renaissance style. The property is associated with the Rural School Buildings in Colorado Multiple Property Submission.
Mill City House
247 County Rd. 308
National Register 4/30/2009, 5CC.313
The Mill City House represents a method and period of construction as a rare intact one and one-half story Pioneer Log building associated with Colorado's early mining settlements. Simple construction materials and techniques include the broad-axe hewn log walls that have squared-up exterior and interior faces, V-notched and half-dove tail notched corners, sawn wood chinking, lime composition daubing, and gable roofs, all of which exemplify the Pioneer Log method of construction employed by miners. It exhibits the readily available materials from nearby forests miners with limited means found quickly and inexpensively. The Mill City House reflects the evolution of the early Pioneer Log cabin constructed quickly for a mining settlement to a refined road house with clapboard covering the logs at one time. It began as two cabins constructed during the early mining period in Clear Creek County, possibly for miners and their families and were joined at an unknown date, likely in the mid-1860s.
Empire Town Hall
30 E. Park Ave.
State Register 9/9/1998, 5CC.684
Since its completion in 1898, the second floor of this two-story wood frame building has served as the local seat of government and as the social and cultural center for the town. Over the years, a variety of retail businesses have occupied the first floor.
Hoop Creek Stone Bridge
US Hwy. 40 on east side of Berthoud Pass, Empire vicinity
State Register 6/14/2000, 5CC.1006
Initially constructed in 1921, the bridge site also includes features added in 1935. Although the stone structures on the site are in deteriorating condition, the property continues to serve as an important visual reminder of the early automobile highways constructed to provide access over Colorado’s high mountain passes. A non-profit organization, Partners for Access to the Woods, is working toward rehabilitating the site as an accessible recreational area.
Mint Saloon (Empire Shop)
13 E. Park Ave. (US Hwy. 40)
State Register 12/9/1992, National Register 2/3/1993, 5CC.856
The small one-story, wood frame commercial building was constructed circa 1885, and the overall appearance of what was an important local gathering placed has changed very little. The establishment continued to meet the recreational and social need in this small mountain mining town until 1938, when it was converted from a saloon into a liquor store.
Peck House (Hotel Splendide)
83 Sunny Ave.
National Register 3/25/1993, 5CC.183
The Peck House is recognized as the oldest lodging establishment in Colorado. Members of the Peck family owned the property until 1945. The original 1862 Peck residence, a small 1½-story front gabled roof post and beam structure, is set on a rubble foundation. During 1862-63, a two-story 30-foot long addition was constructed to the east. In 1880, the addition was extended by 40 feet, and a veranda was added along the south and east sides of the hotel. In 1955, a compatible addition was constructed on the west.
The Dodge Ranch, which had its beginnings in 1890, is an important collection of buildings exhibiting the Rustic style of architecture popular in Colorado mountain communities after the beginning of the 20th century. It is also important for its association with the settlement and development of the Mount Evans Basin from the last decade of the 19th century through the immediate post-World War II period.
Anne Evans Mountain Home
Evergreen vicinity, address restricted
National Register 1/28/1992, 5CC.545
The 1910 Rustic style residence, designed by noted Denver architect Burnham Hoyt, is associated with Anne Evans, the daughter of the second Territorial Governor of Colorado, John Evans. Born in 1871, Miss Evans was instrumental in the creation of the Denver Art Museum and exhibited a strong interest in Native American art. Among her numerous civic endeavors was involvement with the development of the Denver Public Library.
Evans-Elbert Ranch / Elbert-Austin Ranch
Upper Bear Creek Rd., Evergreen vicinity
National Register 9/11/1980, 5CC.15
The property is associated with two prominent families important during Colorado’s territorial period. In 1868, John Evans and Samuel H. Elbert established a mountain cattle ranch that eventually covered much of the Vance, Metz, and Corral Creek valleys and uplands of Jefferson County. A 1908 log and stone Rustic style residence on the property was built for Louise Elbert Everett. It was designed by J. Christopher Jensen, an Iowa architect, and constructed by Jock Spence, a prominent local contractor. More information (PDF, 11.71 MB).(1980 photograph.)
Alpine Hose Company No. 2
507 5th St.
National Register 1/25/1973, 5CC.12
The 1875 two-story false front wood frame building housed the Alpine Hose Company No. 2, one of several volunteer fire companies organized during the late 1800s to protect the community. The distinctive 60-foot wood frame bell tower located at the rear of the building is a highly visible feature within the historic downtown area.
Georgetown Loop Railroad®
(Georgetown Loop Historic Mining & Railroad Park®)
Georgetown to Silver Plume
National Register 12/18/1970; Amended to include additional resources, State Register 3/9/1994, 5CC.9
Built in 1877 to haul silver ore, the Colorado Central Railroad also enjoyed popularity as a tourist attraction. The Devil’s Gate high bridge, considered to be an engineering feat and this most famous element of the route allowed climbing trains to circle back over the lower track as the railbed rose from Georgetown to Silver Plume. The bridge was dismantled in 1939. During the 1970s, the railroad resumed summer service over the rebuilt loop and 4.5 miles of track, the result of a restoration project coordinated by the Colorado Historical Society. The Society operates the railroad during the summer months. The property is associated with the Railroads in Colorado, 1858-1948 Multiple Property Submission.
Georgetown-Silver Plume Historic District
Off I-70 at Georgetown and Silver Plume, includes the entire commercial and residential areas of both communities, as well as the railroad grade connecting them.
National Historic Landmark 11/13/1966, National Register 11/13/1966, 5CC.3
Prior to the Leadville strike of 1878, the district was the most important silver camp in Colorado. The initial boom period dates from the discovery of gold by George and David Griffith in 1859. The Georgetown portion of the district includes a rich variety of substantial Late Victorian buildings. Because the wealth of the mining district was centered in Georgetown, the architecture reflects the attempt by families to reproduce the lifestyle of their more established home states. In contrast, Silver Plume developed as the work center where the ore, as well as the wealth, was mined. As a result, the surviving buildings tend to be of simple wood-frame construction. The reconstructed Georgetown Loop Railroad®, with its famous Devil’s Gate Viaduct rising more than 90-feet above Clear Creek, is also located within the district. In 2006, the Grace Episcopal Church received a Stephen H. Hart Award for the restoration of its church and the Snetzer Building. The People for Silver Plume, Inc., received a 2006 Hart Award for its efforts to preservation important historic buildings in Silver Plume. The property is associated with the Mining Industry in Colorado Multiple Property Submission.
Grace Episcopal Church
Taos St., between 4th & 5th Sts.
National Register 8/14/1973, 5CC.5
Built on a steep hill by Cornish miners in 1870, the wood frame church has a steeply pitched front gabled roof and a gabled roof vestibule with double doors and transom set in a gothic arch. The clapboard walls have corner boards, and gothic arched windows are evenly spaced on both sides of the building. The interior is notable for its open truss roof structure, carved pew ends, and an 1877 organ.
Argentine & 3rd Sts.
National Register 5/31/1972, 5CC.64
The Gothic Revival style Hamill House is a 2½-story gabled roof wood frame residence built on a stone foundation. William Hamill purchased what was a simple circa 1867 residence from his brother-in-law in 1874 and gradually transformed it into an elegant reflection of his increasing personal wealth and prestige. Two hipped roof stone buildings are located at the rear of the property. The more elaborate one, of cut coursed granite, served as Hamill’s office. The other, of rough cut uncoursed stone, served as a stable and carriage house. Since the 1970s, the property has been operated as a museum by the Georgetown Historical Society.
Hotel de Paris
National Register 4/28/1970, 5CC.8
The two-story brick building is stuccoed, and its symmetrical facade includes tall, narrow segmentally arched windows on both floors. The building is one of Georgetown’s most impressive commercial structures. Originally constructed as a bakery in the 1870s, Louis Dupuy, a native of France, subsequently purchased the building. Circa 1889 he created the present facade as part of the building’s conversion into a hotel/restaurant. The Hotel de Paris, with its elegant appointments and extensive assortment of imported wines, provided a bit of France in the Colorado Rockies. In 1953, the Colorado chapter of the National Society of Colonial Dames purchased the building for use as a museum.
Lebanon Mill / Ore Processing Mill & Dam
Off I-70, 1 mile southwest of Georgetown
National Register 5/6/1971, 5CC.68
Located on Republican Mountain, midway between Georgetown and Silver Plume, the facility was a key component in the early development and prosperity of Georgetown. The mill was patented in 1872 by Julius G. Pohle, Superintendent of the Lebanon Mining Company. Few mills of its size survived past 1880 due to the influx of eastern capital and the rise of large corporate mining complexes. The two-story wood frame structure contained machinery driven by a horizontal water wheel, and the mill dam spanned Clear Creek. The property is associated with the Mining Industry in Colorado Multiple Property Submission.
919 Taos St.
National Register 12/5/1972, 5CC.11
The circa 1875 residence is an unusual 1¾-story front gabled roof building with the main entrance located toward the front of a side wall. One of the earliest buildings in Georgetown, it was constructed with whip-sawed boards applied vertically. Window and door frames and the large wooden quoins were planed and shaped by Erskine McClellan in his wood-working shop that stood at the rear of the property. McClellan was an important local figure who served in a variety of civic posts. His McClellan Opera House was destroyed by fire in 1892.
Julius G. Pohle House / Mine Manager’s House / Toll House
Adjacent to I-70, south side of Georgetown
National Register 12/18/1970, 5CC.13
Although the exact date of construction is unknown, Julius G. Pohle, Superintendent of the Lebanon Mining Company purchased the Gothic Revival style residence in 1878. The 1½-story wood frame building has a brick veneer and a steeply pitched side gabled roof, with an intersecting gable that defines a central entry. During the 1960s, the building was moved several yards from its original location when it was threatened by demolition due to the construction of I-70.
Argo Tunnel & Mill
Idaho Springs to Central City
National Register 1/31/1978, 5CC.76
Begun in 1893, the Argo Tunnel extends approximately five miles toward Central City at an average depth of 1,800 feet. It was designed by local mining entrepreneur Sam Newhouse to transport ores from area gold mines. The Argo Mill dates from 1913. The hillside location of the sprawling complex’s interconnected structures is clearly visible from I-70. Primarily constructed with a steel frame surfaced with corrugated iron panels, portions of the mill rise to a height of nearly seven stories. The operation closed after a mine disaster in 1943, and the mill has been operated as a museum/tourist attraction since the late 1970s. The property is associated with the Mining Industry in Colorado Multiple Property Submission.
The 1907 brick building has been used for numerous social and community purposes. Designed by architects Wm. Redding & Son, the building is a rare local example of the Mission Style.
Bryan Hose House
Illinois & Virginia Sts.
National Register 3/19/1998, 5CC.966
Constructed in 1881, just to the east of Virginia Canyon Road, the small brick structure played an integral role in early fire fighting efforts within Idaho Springs.
Charlie Tayler Waterwheel
South of I-70, below Bridal Veil Falls
State Register 9/9/1998, 5CC.229
Originally a part of Tayler’s series of five stamp mills, the waterwheel was moved as a community project to its present location in 1948. Since then, it has served as an important visual landmark for Idaho Springs residents and for those traveling through the area. In 1988, volunteers donated an estimated 3,800 hours of labor to the rehabilitation/restoration of what is considered to be a valuable community resource.
Echo Lake Park
Colo. Hwy. 103 & Colo. Hwy. 5, Idaho Springs vicinity
National Register 2/24/1995, 5CC.646
Hose House No. 2
600 Colorado Blvd.
National Register 3/19/1998, 5CC.967
The circa 1882 Hose House No. 2 was constructed in order to store the fire wagon protecting the west end of town. A siren tower remains in place on the site.
Idaho Springs Downtown Commercial District
Bounded by Center Alley, Riverside Dr., Idaho St.
National Register 1/5/1984, 5CC.201
The district has been the commercial center of the community since its development in the late 19th century. The district’s superb collection of Late Victorian-Era structures, such as the Hanchett Building, Mining Exchange, and Queen Hotel, forms the core of a city that is historically significant as the site of the first major discovery of placer gold in Colorado, and as an important milling and supply center for the mining region which accelerated the settlement of Colorado. The property is associated with the Mining Industry in Colorado Multiple Property Submission.
Methodist Episcopal Church
1414 Colorado Blvd.
National Register 3/5/1998, 5CC.241
The building is a good local example of the Gothic Revival style. Originally constructed in 1880, additions date from 1905. Slight variations in the brick work serve as evidence of the building’s expansion to meet the changing needs of a growing congregation.
Miner Street Bridge
National Register 2/4/1985, 5CC.231
Completed in 1902 by Kuyes and Work to span Clear Creek on the east side of Idaho Springs, this skewed, pin-connected, five-panel steel Pratt pony truss features wide roadways and cantilevered sidewalks. One of the oldest pony trusses in Colorado still in use, it is significant for its skewed design. The property is associated with the Highway Bridges in Colorado Multiple Property Submission.
Squaw Mountain Lookout
Summit of Squaw Mountain, off Colo. Hwy. 103, Idaho Springs vicinity
State Register 9/9/1998, 5CC.194
Located at an altitude of over 11,000 feet, the property includes a good collection of primarily stone, Rustic style structures. Most date from 1940 and were constructed as part of the Civilian Conservation Corps program. The two-story lookout tower played an important role in the detection of forest fires.
Summit Lake Park
Mt. Evans Rd., Idaho Springs vicinity
National Register 2/24/1995, 5CC.645
Georgetown-Silver Plume Historic District
Off I-70 at Silver Plume and Georgetown, includes the entire commercial and residential areas of both communities, as well as the railroad grade connecting them
National Register 11/13/1966, National Historic Landmark 11/13/1966, 5CC.3
Prior to the Leadville strike of 1878, the district was the most important silver camp in Colorado. The initial boom period dates from the discovery of gold by George and David Griffith in 1859. The Georgetown portion of the district includes a rich variety of substantial Late Victorian buildings. Because the wealth of the mining district was centered in Georgetown, the architecture reflects the attempt by families to reproduce the lifestyle of their more established home states. In contrast, Silver Plume developed as the work center where the ore, as well as the wealth, was mined. As a result, the surviving buildings in Silver Plume tend to be simple wood-frame structures. The reconstructed Georgetown Loop Railroad®, with its famous Devil’s Gate Viaduct rising more than 90 feet above Clear Creek, is also located within the district. The property is associated with the Mining Industry in Colorado Multiple Property Submission.<