William Lang Townhouse
1626 Washington St.
National Register 8/18/1983, 5DV.1704
This 1890 residence is one of five townhouses constructed in the 1600 block of Washington St. designed by prolific Denver architect William Lang. Noted for his use of an eclectic mix of architectural detailing, Lang occupied this residence until the Silver Crash of 1893 apparently ended his Denver career. The symmetrical composition of the narrow sandstone facade includes two arched openings at the first level, a band of five tall windows at the second level, and an unusual stepped gable end with ornate carvings located above a band of three windows at the third level.
Larimer Square Historic District
1400 Block of Larimer St.
National Register 5/7/1973; Boundary Increase: 1404 Larimer St., National Register 3/7/1994, 5DV.104
The district is located where Denver’s development began in 1858. The original wood buildings in the area were destroyed during the fires of 1863, and the surviving second generation two and three-story brick buildings date from the late 19th century. They are representative of late Victorian era commercial architecture and incorporate a variety of Gothic Revival, Italianate, Renaissance Revival, and Neoclassical architectural elements. These buildings were spared from demolition during the sweeping urban renewal projects of the mid-1960s, primarily due to the efforts of Denver preservationist Dana Crawford. Through a for-profit corporation, the deteriorating buildings were rehabilitated to accommodate a thriving mix of retail, entertainment, and office uses. The project has been recognized nationally as one of the first successful preservation projects of its kind.
Leeman Auto Company Building
National Register 9/27/2001, 5DV.6140
The 1932 brick building, with its large 1934 addition, reflects the development of the automobile sales and service industry along Broadway, a main Denver thoroughfare since the 1800s. The use of the Art Deco style reflected an effort to impress prospective buyers with state-of-the-art showroom design for the sale of new DeSotos and Plymouths. By the 1940s, Leeman Auto Company was one of the largest automobile dealers in the Rocky Mountain region. Owner Harry B. Leeman served as president of the Denver Automobile Dealers’ Association and organized the Leeman Industrial Bank, which he located near his car dealership.
Owen E. Le Fevre House
1311 York St.
National Register 8/13/1976, 5DV.176
Constructed prior to 1896, the two-story brick residence has a raised basement and porch walls of stone. A large hipped roof dormer incorporating the attic level is located toward the front of the steeply pitched complex roof. The overall symmetry of the east facade is broken by the wrap around portion of the full width porch which extends along the south side. A three-story bay with a conical roof projects from the rear southwest corner. Judge Owen Le Fevre migrated to the Denver area from Dayton, Ohio in 1873. He was active in the Republican Party and served as a judge in a variety of courts until 1901.
A.T. Lewis New Building
1531 Stout St.
National Register 8/19/1994, 5DV.495
Constructed in 1917 to expand the retail space for the A.T. Lewis & Son Dry Goods Company, the six-story annex makes extensive use of sculptural terra cotta ornamentation reminiscent of the work of Chicago architect Louis Sullivan. Harry Willoughby J. Edbrooke, nephew of prominent Denver architect Frank Edbrooke, designed the building. The property is associated with the Historic Resources of Downtown Denver Multiple Property Submission.
A.T. Lewis & Son Department Store
800-816 16th St.
State Register 11/9/1994, National Register 12/23/1994, 5DV.494
The building housed a succession of dry goods and department stores from 1891 to 1970, including: Salomon’s Bazaar (1891-95); A.T. Lewis and Son Department Store (1896-1932); and W.T. Grant Company (1940-70). Prominent Denver architect Robert S. Roeschlaub designed both the original 1891 building and the 1902 expansion. The property is associated with the Historic Resources of Downtown Denver Multiple Property Submission.
The 1903 Littleton Creamery is a rare example of early 20th century industrial design and function. The building exhibits skillful masonry work in its brick polychromatic exterior and its successful functional design as a cold storage warehouse in continuous use for eighty years. The building is the work of prominent Denver architects Gove and Walsh. The same team designed the 1912 addition, while the final addition in 1916 is credited to Mountjoy and French.
Loretto Heights Academy
3001 S. Federal Blvd.
National Register 9/18/1975, 5DV.162
Founded by the Sisters of Loretto, under the direction of Mother Pancratia Bonfils, the college began as Loretto Heights Academy, a Catholic boarding school for girls. The campus, situated on high ground in southwest Denver, enjoys a commanding view of the mountains to the west. Frank E. Edbrooke & Co. designed the 86-room Romanesque style main building which opened in November 1891. The walls are of heavy red sandstone and the irregular plan of this imposing three-story structure includes a raised basement and an attic level. The gabled roof, with multiple dormers, is steeply pitched. On the façade, a central entry tower rises to a height of more than 160 feet.
Lowry Field Brick Barracks
200 N. Rampart Wy.
National Register 9/3/1998, 5DV.712.19
The barracks represents America’s militarization program in response to the increasing international military threats in the Pacific and Europe in the late 1930s and early 1940s. At the time of its construction in 1940, the building was one of the nation’s largest military barracks. It reflects the Spanish Revival style as interpreted by military architects and applied to a massive brick institutional housing facility late in the style’s period of popularity.
Masonic Temple Building
1614 Welton St.
National Register 11/22/1977, 5DV.136
This 1890 Romanesque Revival style building, located at the corner of 16th and Welton streets, served for many years as a center of activities for the Masonic Order in Colorado. As one of downtown Denver’s few surviving examples of the use of rockfaced Manitou sandstone as a building material, its warm red-orange walls provide an interesting contrast with the cool grey stone of the adjacent Kittredge Building. Denver architect Frank E. Edbrooke’s design for the five-story Masonic Temple Building incorporated numerous semicircular arches and intricately carved detailing. After a 1984 fire nearly destroyed the building, its walls were reinforced with a steel frame. The property is associated with the Historic Resources of Downtown Denver Multiple Property Submission.
1554 California St.
National Register 1/26/2005, 5DV.499
The 1911 McClintock Building is an example of a small-scale Denver commercial building which provided retail and office space for a variety of businesses during the first half of the 20th century. The storefronts provided space for small shops, including businesses offering drugs, shoes, and clothing. The upper floors housed offices for professionals such as doctors, dentists, and lawyers and those who provided special services, such as beauty salons, dressmakers, and watch repair shops. Although buildings with this combination of functions were not uncommon during the late 19th and early 20th centuries, few small-scale commercial/office buildings remain in Downtown Denver today. The building is also an early 20th century example of the application of lavish terra cotta ornamentation to a brick commercial building. This use of terra cotta includes features such as cartouches above the windows of the third story, accolades above the second-story windows, and parts of the entablature. The building is notable for its Gothic Revival style ornamentation. The building also retains several first-story, cast iron columns, elements rarely extant on commercial buildings in Downtown Denver today. The McClintock Building is significant for its representation of the early design work of the architectural partnership of Robert Willison and Montana S. Fallis. The firm established a reputation for its versatility in the use of glazed architectural terra cotta for building cladding and ornamentation. The property is associated with the Historic Resources of Downtown Denver Multiple Property Submission. More information (PDF, 1.96 MB).
Peter McCourt House
1471 High St.
National Register 5/9/1983, 5DV.1475
Built in 1896, the two-story brick residence is an unusual example of the Foursquare building type embellished with elaborate Colonial Revival style detailing. The facade is dominated by its balustraded porches and the two-story Ionic columns that support a balcony at the attic level. Peter McCourt was the brother of Baby Doe Tabor and for several years served as the manager of the Tabor Grand Opera House.
1390 Stuart St.
National Register 7/19/1982, 5DV.653
The McNulty House is one of a series of six designed by prominent Denver architects William Lang and Marshall Pugh for real estate developer Ralph Voorhees. For many years, the house was home to Elizabeth McNulty, a teacher at nearby Glen Park School, and her two aunts. The architects employed the Queen Anne style with several original touches. The most distinctive features of this 1891 brick residence are the facade dormer and the round corner tower. The property is associated with the West Colfax Subdivision Historic Structures Thematic Resource.
McPhee & McGinnity Building
2301 Blake St.
National Register 9/20/1984, 5DV.1490
Designed by the architectural firm of Fisher and Fisher, as the general office and warehouse for the McPhee & McGinnity Company, this flat roofed brick faced industrial building reflects the Second Renaissance Revival style in its numerous evenly spaced arched window openings. The original two-story portion was constructed in 1913, and there is a 1919 one-story addition. Founded in 1869 by Charles D. McPhee, John J. McGinnity joined the company in 1879. By the 1920s the company had become one of the leading building materials suppliers within fourteen western states. During the mid-1930s, the Denver Fire Clay Company relocated its offices to the building.
McPhee & McGinnity Paint Factory Building (Clocktower Building)
2519 Walnut St.
State Register 8/11/1999, National Register 8/21/2003, 5DV.4706
The 1923 McPhee & McGinnity Paint Factory Building functioned for six years as a manufacturing facility for the regionally important building supply company. The brick building, an important variation of Commercial Style architecture, is distinguished by its prominent clock tower.
Midland Savings Building (Midland Lofts)
444 17th St.
State Register 8/11/1999, National Register 2/2/2001, 5DV.1733
The 1925 building was the headquarters of Midland Savings and Loan. By the 1920s, the firm was the largest savings and loan in Colorado and one of the 45 largest in the nation. The building is an important example of Early Italian Renaissance Revival style design as adapted to a commercial building by the prominent architectural firm of Fisher and Fisher. Denver sculptor Robert Garrison created the distinctive terra cotta gargoyles which grace the penthouse. The property is associated with the Historic Resources of Downtown Denver Multiple Property Submission.
Midwest Steel & Iron Works Co. Complex
25 Larimer St.
National Register 4/10/1985, 5DV.339
Midwest Steel and Iron Works Company was one of Denver oldest and largest metal fabricators. Beginning in the late 19th century, Midwest produced structural and ornamental components for buildings and engineering structures throughout Colorado, Wyoming, and New Mexico. Midwest’s Larimer Street site served as the company’s headquarters between 1924 and 1983. The four-building industrial complex includes an architecturally significant Art Deco style office building designed in 1930 by Denver architect Roland L. Linder. More information (PDF, 4.57 MB).
2101 15th St.
National Register 10/22/1976, 5DV.195
The 1906 depot served as the Denver terminus of David Moffat’s railroad over Rollins Pass. The Denver, Northwestern and Pacific never reached any farther west than Craig, but in doing so it helped to establish an eastern market for the ranches, coal mines and oil fields of northwestern Colorado. A fire in 1995 destroyed the baggage and freight portion of the building. The property is associated with the Railroads in Colorado, 1858-1948 Multiple Property Submission.
Monaco Street Parkway
Monaco St. Pkwy. from E. 1st Ave. to Montview Blvd.
National Register 9/17/1986, 5DV.5323
This classic two-mile example of a parkway is clearly defined by four rows of street trees (a canopy of American Elms in this case) and a median planted with fine specimen plant material, varied in shape and scale, including local Rocky Mountain species such as the Colorado Blue Spruce. The property is associated with the Denver Park and Parkway System Thematic Resource.
Bounded by E. 12th Ave., Oneida St. & Richthofen Pkwy.
National Register 9/17/1986, 5DV.5324
This fine example of a small turn-of-the-century neighborhood block park combines passive space, designed in the English landscape tradition, with active facilities (including tennis courts, horseshoe courts, and a community center), and design features such as the perimeter street trees, which integrate the park into the design of the surrounding residential neighborhood. The designer of the 1887-1910 park is unknown. The property is associated with the Denver Park and Parkway System Thematic Resource.
215 E. 11th Ave.
National Register 10/2/1986, 5DV.1706
The 1908 Montgomery Court is one the first 20th century apartment buildings to be built in Denver’s affluent Capitol Hill neighborhood. The Renaissance Revival Style is rare for a Denver apartment, and it was one of the first fireproof, reinforced concrete residential buildings. It was also one of five Capitol Hill apartments that introduced the front light court in the city. More information (PDF, 4.5 MB).
Montview Blvd. from Colorado Blvd. to Monaco St. Pkwy.
National Register 10/1/1986, 5DV.5325
First laid out in 1892, 1.5-mile Montview Boulevard is a straightforward yet effective design, evidence of the fact that 19th century urban planning in Denver responded to the proposition that the new streetcar suburbs, like Park Hill, should be served and would be enhanced by tree-lined and city-maintained motorways. Planting took place between 1902-1911, and the design is attributed to Frederick W. Ameter. The property is associated with the Denver Park and Parkway System Thematic Resource.
Montview Boulevard Presbyterian Church
1980 Dahlia St.
State Register 9/10/2003, National Register 4/6/2004, 5DV.9034
The 1910 Montview Boulevard Presbyterian Church, with its additions of 1918, 1926 and 1958, is a well-preserved example of an early 20th century urban neighborhood church executed in a Richardsonian Romanesque style. The church represents the work of four master architects of Denver. Harry J. Manning and Frank W. Frewen, partners in the firm Manning and Frewen, designed a Richardsonian Romanesque style addition to the original tiny chapel in 1918. Burnham F. Hoyt and Merrill H. Hoyt, of the firm Hoyt and Hoyt, created the distinctive 1926 Richardsonian Romanesque educational wing.
Dora Moore School / Corona School
E. 9th Ave. at Corona St.
National Register 6/9/1978, 5DV.185
Robert Roeschlaub designed the original portion of this 1889 Capitol Hill neighborhood school. The distinctive 2½-story brick building features stone and terra cotta trim and four square corner entry towers topped by bell-shaped domes. On the interior, the classrooms radiate from a central open stairway. An adjacent two-story brick building, of much simpler design, was constructed in 1909. An early 1990s rehabilitation of the still functioning school included the construction of a new three-story connecting structure between the two buildings. Originally known as Corona School, the school board renamed the school in 1929 to honor Dora Moore, the school’s principal for thirty-five years.
2200 Champa St.
State Register 3/8/2000, 5DV.6966
Constructed in 1904, the building is associated with Frank Morrato, a businessman and important member of Denver’s turn-of-the-century Italian community. Among his several enterprises, Morrato operated a successful wine and liquor distributorship. He was instrumental in planning the first Columbus Day celebration.
Mosque of the El Jebel Shrine Temple (1770 Sherman Street Event Complex)
1770 Sherman St.
National Register 10/24/1997, 5DV.2892
This 1907 building, one of the best examples of Moorish-inspired architecture in Colorado, utilizes Middle Eastern architectural styles to create ceremonial spaces in keeping with the spirit and rituals of the Ancient Order of Nobles of the Mystic Shrine. The architects, the Baerresen Brothers, reached the pinnacle of their prolific practice with its design. The exterior is one of the best examples of Moorish-inspired architecture in Colorado, and the interior exhibits an incredible collection of architectural styles, ranging from Moorish and Egyptian to French Provincial, Elizabethan, and Arts and Crafts. No other interior space in the state surpasses the mosque for its high level of artistic detail and craftsmanship.
Motor Coach Division Building, Denver Tramway Company
3500 Gilpin St.
National Register 12/17/1998, 5DV.5337
The Motor Coach Division Building of the Denver Tramway Company played an important role in the transition from streetcars to gas and diesel powered, rubber-tired, motor coaches, or buses, in the Denver metropolitan region, from 1937 to 1950. The 1893 building began as a storage facility for electric streetcars, but a 1937 addition doubled the size of the facility and began its function as a bus garage and maintenance facility. An additional expansion occurred in 1947 to accommodate more buses necessitated by the expansion of public transportation to meet Denver’s post-World War II growth.
Frederick W. Neef House
2143 Grove St.
National Register 10/25/1979, 5DV.107
Built in 1886, the Neff House is a well-executed version of the Queen Anne / Eastlake style. The primary building material is brick, and there is a profusion of ornately decorated gables, roof forms, and window types. Although not substantiated, there are strong indications that the house was not designed by an architect, but by a builder using an architect’s pattern book. Frederick W. Neef was an early Denver businessman and owner of the Neef Brothers Brewery, a successful enterprise in early Denver.
720 16th St.
National Register 11/30/1987, 5DV.496
The Neusteter Building, a five-story flat roofed commercial building, consists of the 1924 original block and a smaller circa 1952 pre-cast concrete addition. Featuring a ribbon of black marble around its base and buff colored limestone, it is one of the finest examples of Commercial Style architecture in Denver. The architectural firm of Fisher and Fisher designed the retail facility for the department store of Max and Meyer Neusteter founded in 1911. The family-owned firm remained in operation until 1985. The property is associated with the Historic Resources of Downtown Denver Multiple Property Submission.
900-914 E. 20th Ave.
National Register 2/5/1987, 5DV.1481
This eclectic, Victorian era apartment was built in 1888-1889 and is a prominent neighborhood landmark at the south end of the San Rafael Historic District. The building represents a time when terraces and the concept of apartment living were relatively new to residents of Denver. The eight unit, two-story brick complex is characterized by recessed bays, front porches, and slightly advanced pavilions with various roof shapes - pyramidal, gabled, square bell-cast and stepped parapet - which rise above the main roof slope. (Photograph 2011.)
1301-1319 W. 35th Ave.
National Register 6/27/1986, 5DV.446
Constructed in 1891 by Isaac Percival for Thomas Niblock, an Irish immigrant, the terrace is divided in the middle by a stepped cornice and roof porch, which creates two five-unit sections with alternating wood stud and masonry party walls. The building is distinguished by a row of segmentally arched windows on the second floor facade. Berardino Yacovetta purchased the building in 1917 and leased apartments to many of the immigrants from Italy that he sponsored. The building provided housing for the three separate immigrant groups - Irish, Italian, and Hispanic - so important to the development of the North Denver neighborhood.
330 Birch St.
National Register 2/12/1998, 5DV.5245
Denver architect Eugene G. Groves designed and built the all concrete Nordlund House in 1938-39. Groves’ practice spanned five decades, during which he completed noteworthy commissions involving schools, college buildings, government offices, and commercial buildings. Widely recognized for his experimental and futuristic use of poured, cast and reinforced concrete, Groves utilized an innovative all concrete construction technique in the Nordlund House on which he received a patent in 1937.
99 S. Downing St.
National Register 12/22/1983, 5DV.1707
Built in 1924 by prominent Denver architect William Norman Bowman, the Norman is one of Denver’s best preserved examples of a luxury apartment building dating from the 1920s and 30s. Laid out as two six-story wings set at right angles, the complex contained 48 apartments with nine foot ceilings. Interior appointments included mahogany doors and wood trim, with marble floors in the main foyer and entrance hall. The exterior design is eclectic, reflecting the architect’s interpretation of the Spanish Colonial Revival and Colonial Revival styles.
935 E. Colfax Ave.
National Register 8/31/1995, 5DV.2609
The two-story brick Mediterranean style building was designed by Denver architect, Harry W.J. Edbrooke. It is one of three theaters constructed, owned, and operated by John Thompson and J.A. Goodridge, primary owners of the International Amusement Company, in the fashionable Capitol Hill neighborhood during the 1910s. An early example of the neighborhood motion picture theaters constructed nationwide during the first decades of the 20th century, it closed in 1990 and was renovated in 1994.
Old Highland Business District
15th & Boulder Sts.
National Register 7/17/1979, 5DV.106
The Old Highland Business District is comprised of six late 19th century commercial buildings, all that is left of a once thriving business area. Although the buildings are not outstanding architecturally, they are good examples of commercial architecture from the period and are nicely related to one another. This business district developed over a short period of time, from 1885 to 1890, and contained a convenient mix of stores and offices. Highland was one of the three original areas, clustered around the confluence of Cherry Creek and the South Platte River, which joined to become the City of Denver.
4329-39 W. 44th Ave.
State Register 9/10/1997, National Register 9/26/1997, 5DV.5141
The 1927 neighborhood movie theater provided several generations of north Denver citizens with an inexpensive local recreational opportunity. Architecturally, the building is a good example of neighborhood movie theater design, particularly of the type using Exotic Revival themes.
2330 Washington St.
National Register 2/16/1984, 5DV.2044
Constructed in the Five Points area by architect / builder John H. Barnes in 1892, Orlando Flats is one of Denver’s better surviving examples of late 19th century lower income housing. The city’s Householder’s Directories from the 1890s show residents as being exclusively employed in low wage labor positions. The first floor of the three-story brick building is faced with stone, and the building was originally divided into thirty-four small apartments.
Overland Cotton Mill
1314 W. Evans Ave.
National Register 4/3/2001, 5DV.2458
The 1891 building operated as Colorado’s only successful cotton mill until 1903. Utilizing load-bearing masonry walls to maximize natural illumination, its layout and fenestration typify large industrial buildings of the late 19th century. At its peak, the mill’s annual production reached 12 million yards of cloth in a variety of types and patterns. The mill also played a brief but important role in local labor history, particularly in relation to children in the work force. Operating as a munitions factory from 1941 to 1945, the plant was so important to World War II production efforts it was immediately repaired and restored to full operational status after a devastating fire in 1942.
Oxford Hotel & Oxford Annex
1612 17th St.
National Register 4/19/1979, 5DV.47.62
The grand opening of the Oxford Hotel occurred in 1891, and the new hotel quickly became popular due it its ideal location, a block from the Union Station railroad center, as well as its excellent service, fine cuisine, and moderate rates. In 1912, the owners erected an annex to provide 200 additional rooms. Prominent early Denver architect Frank Edbrooke designed the original building, while the team of Robert Willison and Montana Fallis created the white terra cotta annex.
Pacific Express Stable
2363 Blake St.
National Register 9/20/1984, 5DV.1489
The two-story red brick commercial style building was constructed in 1888 and used as a stable for the Pacific Express Company until circa 1910. The company delivered railroad freight and housed the company’s wagons on the first floor, with the horses at basement level and their hay and grain stored on the second. In 1913, Francis J. Fisher bought the building and remodeled it into a warehouse for his specialty building supply business. More information (PDF, 1.97 MB).
Judge Peter L. Palmer House
National Register 10/21/1982, 5DV.662
Completed in 1889 the house is a fine example of the upper middle class residences built on isolated plots east of the Capitol Hill area. Eclectic Queen Anne in its details, the walls are red brick, with the gable ends of the porch and attic painted white. Judge Peter L. Palmer contributed much to the progress of the reform and temperance movements in the city and state. He served as a Justice of the Peace and Federal Court Judge and was a leader of the Republican Party in Denver. More information (PDF, 9.48 MB).
1621 Glenarm Pl.
National Register 11/21/1980, 5DV.190
Temple H. Buell, a well-known Denver architect, designed the 1930 Paramount Theater. As a representative of the Art Deco style, the theater stands as the last remaining "movie palace" in the metropolitan area. Designed in the period of silent films, and opened as sound motion pictures became the rage, the theater bridges the gap between two entertainment eras. The Paramount also houses the only Publix One Wurlitzer theater organ to be equipped with twin consoles. The property is associated with the Historic Resources of Downtown Denver Multiple Property Submission.
Bounded by Colorado Blvd., E. 26th Ave., Dahlia St., and E. Montview Blvd.
National Register 12/16/2004, 5DV.9035
Park Hill United Methodist Church
5209 Montview Blvd.
State Register 6/9/2004, 5DV.9152
The 1924 Park Hill United Methodist Church is the best example of Mission Revival style architecture in the body of work created by Denver architect William N. Bowman. In active practice from 1910 through the 1930s, Bowman designed in a variety of revival architectural styles, as well as contemporary modern styles.
1880 Gaylord St.
National Register 6/20/1972, 5DV.126
This circa 1900 brick house was designed by Frederick J. Sterner. Its gambrel roof is indicative of Dutch Colonial architecture. The house was a wedding present for Mr. and Mrs. Harold Pearce. Henry McAllister, general consul for the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad, purchased the house about 1907 and it remained in family ownership until 1971. The property is owned by History Colorado.
Peters Paper Company Warehouse
1625-31 Wazee St.
National Register 6/16/1988, 5DV.2853
Designed by Gove and Walsh, this four-story beige brick warehouse was constructed in 1899, with a five-story wing added in 1915. The first floor facade features large storefront windows that were designed to showcase the paper products on display in the showroom. The upper stories were used for storage, and the building continued to serve as a paper company warehouse until 1942.
Photography & Armament School Building, Lowry Air Force Base
125 & 130 Rampart Way and 7600 E. 1st Pl.
National Register 4/2/2002, 5DV.8165
The 1942 buildings, located on the grounds of the former Lowry Air Force Base, played an important role in military history through the 1953 end of the Korean War. The Armament School was the only such Army facility in the western United States. The Photography School was the Army’s only such facility before serving as the only Army Air Corps photography school in the western United States. Good examples of the International Style, the buildings are associated with the period when military architecture reflected the growing technological power of the United States Army, particularly in the Air Corps.
857 Grant St.
National Register 10/3/1984, 5DV.1486
This house is located in what was once the impressive residential area known as Quality Hill, located within the Capitol Hill neighborhood. Built in 1910, the exterior of the buff brick house exhibits a typical Foursquare design, but the interior is rich in ornamentation influenced by the Arts and Craft Movement. The house was built on speculation by Robert Ansel Pierce and Thaddeus A. Cage. It was purchased by Ora Ben Haley, a rancher from Wyoming, and remained in the family until 1936. More information (PDF, 7 MB).
Potter Highlands Historic District
Bounded by W. 38th, Zuni, W. 32nd & Federal Blvd.
National Register 1/22/1986, 5DV.85
Potter Highlands is a residential neighborhood located across the South Platte River in the hills northwest of downtown Denver. The Reverend Walter M. Potter bequeathed the land to the Baptist Home Mission Society which sold it for development in the early 1870s. The independent town of Highlands was incorporated in 1875 and annexed by the city of Denver in 1896. Of the nearly 700 buildings located within the district’s 276 acres, 571 contribute to its historic and architectural character. There are examples of Foursquares, Mission Revival, and Victorian styles built before the silver crash of 1893, and later examples of Prairie, Colonial Revival, Dutch Colonial Revival and Craftsman style residences.
Pride of the Rockies Flour Mill / Longmont Farmers Mill (Flour Mill Lofts)
2100 20th St.
National Register 12/7/1995, 5DV.1940
The mill is associated with the once important flour milling activities in downtown Denver’s Platte River valley. Although only the mill building and three storage bins survive from the large grain processing complex, the 1920 mill is the last surviving structure of its type representing this aspect of Denver’s early 20th century milling industry.
Railway Exchange Addition & Railway Exchange New Building (Hotel Monaco)
1715 Champa St. & 909 17th St.
National Register 10/17/1997, 5DV.525 / 5DV.526
The 1909/1913 Railway Exchange Addition and its interconnected companion, the 1937 New Building, were designed by the Fisher & Fisher architectural firm. The buildings provide a rare opportunity to view in one location the 30-year stylistic evolution of the firm and represent a good solution to the challenge of joining a new building to an older structure both functionally and stylistically. The New Building is Denver’s finest example of Art Moderne commercial architecture. The property is associated with the Historic Resources of Downtown Denver Multiple Property Submission.
Ray Apartment Buildings
1550 and 1560 Ogden St.
National Register 2/2/2001, 5DV.7138
The 1906 Ray Apartment Buildings are good local examples of the Neoclassical Revival style and are the finest surviving examples of work by designer and master builder Daniel Wells Wood. They were built early in the era of luxury apartment construction in Denver which began circa 1900. Located in Denver’s prestigious Park Avenue Addition in North Capitol Hill, the apartments attracted prominent Denver citizens as tenants. The buildings have been in continuous use as multiple dwellings. A Colorado designer and builder from 1891 to 1945, Wood practiced primarily in Denver and Cripple Creek, and he is mentioned as the builder of several Colorado school buildings and courthouses.
Wilbur S. Raymond House / The Marne (Castle Marne)
National Register 11/21/1974, 5DV.123
Dating from 1890, the massive three-story residence was designed by noted Denver architect William Lang for investment banker William Raymond. Clearly reflecting the eclecticism associated with Lang’s work, Late Victorian era architectural details include walls of rusticated stone, round arches, asymmetrical massing, elaborate cornices, a steeply pitched roof; and a prominent five-sided corner bay. Known as The Marne during the ownership of the Edwin Van Cise family from 1918 to 1938, they divided the house into apartments and added a wing in 1920. Vacant and boarded up for much of the 1980s, the property opened as a bed and breakfast in 1989.
7020 E. 12th Ave.
National Register 4/21/1975, 5DV.158
Completed in 1887, the 21-room residence was built on the prairie fifteen miles east of downtown Denver by real estate promoter Baron Walter von Richthofen as a show home for his Montclair development. Originally fortress-like in style, additions and modifications designed by Maurice Biscoe in 1910 and Jules J.B. Benedict in 1924, resulted in an English Tudor appearance. The walls, towers and parapet are of Castle Rock rhyolite, and the estate is contained within an acre of walled gardens.
Richthofen Pkwy. at Oneida St.
National Register 9/17/1986, 5DV.5326
The monument is a good example of a small park situated and embellished so as to provide a distinctive entryway to a residential neighborhood. The designer of the circa 1900 park is not known; however, Harlan Thomas designed the monument itself. The property is associated with the Denver Park and Parkway System Thematic Resource.
Richthofen Place Parkway
Richthofen Place Pkwy., Monaco Street Pkwy., to Oneida St.
National Register 9/17/1986, 5DV.5327
The quarter-mile parkway serves as an entry to the Montclair neighborhood from the Monaco Street Parkway. It varies in design from all other Denver parkways in its narrow evergreen-filled median. Deciduous street trees are confined to the peripheral parking strips. Construction took place in 1911-12 from a design by Frederick W. Ameter. The property is associated with the Denver Park and Parkway System Thematic Resource.
3435 Albion St.
National Register 2/12/2003, 5DV.8271
The 1890 Robinson House embodies the defining characteristics of the Queen Anne style in residential construction. The avoidance of flat exterior wall surfaces and the presence of an asymmetrical facade are typical. Roof lines are complex, exterior walls are made of more than one type of material, decorative porches are present, window shapes and sizes vary. In the Robinson House, a two-story house with attic, distinctive characteristics include a prominent front gable, patterned masonry exterior walls with several belt courses of brick and stone, recessed first and second story porches in the facade with spindlework porch supports, decorative balustrades and brackets.
Rocky Mountain Bank Note Company Building (P.S. 1)
1080 Delaware St.
National Register 7/1/1999, 5DV.5338
The 1929 building is associated with the development of the part of the printing industry that created, developed, and distributed bank forms to support the expanding needs of the statewide banking industry. The Denver architectural firm of Mountjoy and Frewen designed the Neoclassical Revival style one-story brick building, which features a copper dome at one corner.
Rocky Mountain Hotel (Zang Brewing Co.)
2301 7th St.
National Register 4/21/1983, 5DV.1364
This two-story brick hotel, constructed in 1892, is a late Victorian commercial building designed by an unknown architect. With twelve sleeping rooms upstairs and a dining area on the ground level, it served as a lodging place for brewers and other workers from the nearby Zang Brewery, a successful company in one of early Denver’s major industries.
Rocky Mountain Lake Park
Bounded by I-70, Federal Blvd., W. 46th Ave. & Lowell Blvd.
National Register 9/17/1986, 5DV.5328
The park is typical of the water parks planned for Denver before 1900. The lake, once a watering hole for a branch of the Overland Trail, covers most of the park area. The park features a beautifully planted lake shore, designed in the Edwardian manner, for strolling. Park construction took place between 1906 and 1910. The property is associated with the Denver Park and Parkway System Thematic Resource.
2944 Zuni St.
National Register 1/4/1996, 5DV.590
The 1889 Romeo Block is an excellent example of the work of master architects Harold and Viggio Baerresen. A 1995 Investment Tax Credit rehabilitation project returned the brick exterior to its near original appearance. Sam Barets and Louis M. Weiner were the building’s original owners.
Amos H. Root Building
1501 Platte St.
National Register 3/27/1980, 5DV.133
Built for Amos H. Root, the three-story building has a first floor of cast iron column and beam construction, while the upper two stories exhibit fine brickwork. It was built in 1890 and displays many elements characteristic of commercial structures of the period. Root was a successful Denver businessman, and the building has served as a drugstore, furniture store, warehouse and rooming house.
2650 Welton St.
National Register 8/15/1995, 5DV.65
Though constructed in 1912 as the Baxter Hotel, this building, at the heart of Denver’s Five Points community, achieved its prominence in the years following 1929. With its name change and establishment of the Rossonian Lounge, the hotel became one of the most important jazz clubs between St. Louis and Los Angeles. Jazz greats such as Duke Ellington, Louis Armstrong, Count Basie, Nat King Cole, George Shearing, and Dinah Washington stayed at the hotel and entertained in the Rossonian Lounge between their major Denver engagements. These shows were often staged after the musicians finished their scheduled performances at the same Denver hotels that refused them lodging due to the racial segregation existing at the time.
Henry Roth Residence
5, 7 & 9 S. Fox St.
National Register 9/30/1997, 5DV.5041
The three cobblestone with their unusual metal barrel-lid roofs, all built by owner Henry Roth, represent the important use of found materials for residential construction by a property owner during the era of the Great Depression. The houses take the form of variations on the popular Bungalow-type, while the use of readily available found and recycled material