Black Forest Community Church
6845 Shoup Road, Black Forest vicinity
State Register 9/29/2016, 5EP.6722
The Black Forest Community Church consists of the original 1940 log church building with bell tower, a good example of the Pioneer Log type, and the 1962 sanctuary building, an example of the Modern Movement style with laminated-wood piers, cross-gabled projecting roof lines, and stained glass windows by local artist Al Wynne. The continually used community-built landmark reflects the identity and history of the Black Forest community. More information (PDF, 626kb)
Black Forest School
6770 Shoup Rd., Black Forest vicinity
National Register 11/3/1992, 5EP.1753
Constructed in 1921, the building is a late example of a log rural schoolhouse. A controversial school consolidation decision closed the school in 1945. Listed under Rural School Buildings in Colorado Multiple Property Submission.
J.G. Evans Barn
Hogden Rd., Black Forest vicinity
National Register 6/22/2004, 5EP.3981
Built circa 1880, the J.G. Evans Barn is one of the last remaining barns from the earliest period of settlement and development in the Black Forest area. Typical of a Midwest three portal barn with its hand hewn logs, three bays, and broken gable roof, the building retains original materials, feed bins and stalls, and a tin-lined grain room. Many of these barns once dotted the landscape across El Paso County; residential growth and a shift away from agricultural practices has resulted in a loss of many farm buildings. The Evans Barn stands as a link to the county’s rural past and the homestead era. More information (PDF, 1.23 MB).
Calhan Paint Mines Archaeological District
National Register 7/14/2000, 5EP.3258
The district provides an opportunity to understand how prehistoric peoples processed and transported clays for ceramic production. Predominantly open plains with some areas of colorful clay deposits capped by white sandstone, this archaeological landscape also has the potential to provide a better understanding of subsistence practices, specifically addressing questions of faunal procurement and processing over a span of 10,000 years, from at least 8100 BC through AD 1750.
Calhan Rock Island Railroad Depot
West of Denver St.
National Register 4/20/1995, 5EP.2173
The 1906 depot served the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railroad on its route between Kansas and Colorado Springs. It is one of only three surviving depots of the Rock Island Railroad in Colorado remaining on their original sites. The Rock Island slipped into bankruptcy in the early 1970s, and in 1993 94 the rails were pulled up and sold for scrap. The property is associated with the Railroads in Colorado, 1858-1948 Multiple Property Submission.
4445 Haggerman Ave.
National Register 10/22/1998, 5EP.415
Eliza Marriott Hewlett, an early settler who served as the secretary of the Cascade Town and Improvement Company, built and operated the two-story wood frame boarding house. In operation by 1887, it was a precursor of the larger resort hotels that later dominated the Ute Pass area. It is the only surviving building representing the early railroad period of Cascade’s commercial development as a summer resort for the wealthy.
Holy Rosary Chapel
4454 Fountain Blvd.
State Register 12/13/1995, 5EP.2210
The Chapel is architecturally significant as the work of Colorado Springs architect, Charles E. Thomas. Incorporating elements of Mission and Romanesque Revival, Thomas considered this 1930 building to be one of his most outstanding works.
128 S. Tejon St.
National Register 9/14/1977, 5EP.183
Opened for business in 1886, additions were constructed in 1890 and 1899. The hotel was important to tourism until converted to apartments in 1968. The exterior reflects Moorish and Classical influences, but the building is primarily Federalist in style.
All Souls Unitarian Church
730 N. Tejon St.
State Register 8/30/2007, 5EP.626
The 1892 church building is an interesting local expression of the Shingle Style with its wood shingled walls, long sloping gabled roofs and windows grouped into pairs and fours. Undulating or wavy pattern wood shingles, another characteristic of this style, can be seen in the apex of the gables. Other decorative features include paneled vergeboard, eyebrow dormers, and stained glass windows. The raised foundation walls are reddish-greenish sandstone quarried west of Manitou Springs. The tall square tower and its bellcast roof with flared eaves are incorporated into the intersection of two major gables and rises out of the roof rather than from the ground. Walter F. Douglas designed the building, based on a standard plan used by Unitarians in the East. A 1984 addition with lower walls of stucco instead of stone incorporated many of these characteristic elements. (2007 photograph.) More information (PDF, 1.41 MB).
Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Depot
555 E. Pikes Peak Ave.
National Register 9/10/1979, 5EP.199
Chicago Architect E.A. Harrison designed the circa 1917 Jacobethan Revival style railroad depot. The building once contained one of the famous Harvey House restaurants that provided meals to passengers across the AT&SF system. The railroad abandoned the depot in the early 1970s. Developers purchased the building in the 1980s and rehabilitated it into a complex of stores and offices. The property is associated with the Railroads in Colorado, 1858-1948 Multiple Property Submission.
920 N. Cascade Ave., Colorado College Campus
National Register 3/28/1997, 5EP.3954
Constructed in 1908 as a women’s dormitory and dining hall, the building served as a focus of campus social life for women and reflects the early 20th century design philosophies for women’s dormitories. The building is also important as an example of architect Maurice Biscoe’s application of the Tudor Revival style to collegiate facilities. Listed under Historic Resources of Colorado College Multiple Property Submission.
Bemis House / Hearthstone Inn
506 N. Cascade
National Register 9/14/1979, 5EP.196
Located in a neighborhood of substantial homes, the 1885 Queen Anne style Bemis House was designed by architect W.F. Ellis. Additions were made in 1886 and 1887, and the property was converted to apartments in 1935.
Boulder Crescent Place Historic District
9 & 11 W. Boulder; 312, 318, 320 N. Cascade
National Register 9/10/1987, 5EP.1063
The district contains an important collection of turn-of-the-century wood frame houses the styling of which includes local versions of Queen Anne and Dutch Colonial Revival. Construction dates range from 1894 to 1901, a period during which Colorado Springs grew rapidly as people moved into the Pikes Peak region for their health and to enjoy the natural scenic beauty.
730 N. Nevada Ave.
National Register 9/13/1990, 5EP.789
Completed in 1888, this large Queen Anne style "pattern book" residence was built by Charles H. Burgess, an affluent citizen of Colorado Springs. It is one of the few survivors in its neighborhood dating from the first wave of development in Colorado Springs.
U.S. Air Force Academy, Pine Valley
National Register 11/3/1989, 5EP.1222
The large, rambling residence was designed by San Diego architect Richard S. Requa. It remains virtually intact as an excellent example of the Spanish Colonial Revival style. The property includes a total of nine buildings constructed between 1930 and 1937.
Chadbourn Spanish Gospel Mission
402 S. Conejos St.
National Register 1/14/2009, 5EP.643
The Chadbourn Spanish Gospel Mission is the sole remaining building of a now demolished Hispanic immigrant neighborhood known as the Conejos District. In the early 20th century many Mexican laborers made the Conejos District their home due to its location near the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad switchyard. During this period, the Mission became an integral part of the neighborhood, not only as a religious institution, but also as a community hub, educational center, and refuge for those in need. The Mission is also significant for its architecture. The building began as a modest neighborhood grocery store, but was later renovated to resemble a traditional Spanish Mission. Through this renovation, the building became an excellent example of the Mission Revival style as applied to non-secular architecture in Colorado Springs. The building’s Mission Revival style is exemplified in its square bell tower, curvilinear parapets, overhanging eaves, exposed rafter tails, arches, and stucco finish. (2007 photograph.) More information (PDF, 1.52 MB).
Chambers Ranch / White House (Rock Ledge Ranch)
3202 Chambers Way
National Register 11/29/1979, 5EP.188
After Robert and Elsie Chambers arrived in the Colorado Springs area in 1874, they bought a parcel of land on the wagon road to Denver. Their small vernacular stone farmhouse was stuccoed by later owners. Also on the property is the circa 1900 Orchard House, a Mission style residence with elements of the Western Stick and Spanish Colonial Revival.
City Hall of Colorado City
2902 W. Colorado Ave.
National Register 6/3/1982, 5EP.220
Built in 1888, the building exemplifies the Richardsonian Romanesque style. Although only serving municipal needs for a short time, it has continued to be a local visual landmark.
Claremont / Trianon (The Colorado Springs School)
21 Broadmoor Ave.
National Register 4/13/1977, 5EP.186
The 1906 Claremont, also knows at the Trianon, was built for Charles and Virginia Baldwin. The wealthy couple came to Colorado Springs from New York for health reasons. They hired local architect Thomas MacLaren to create a spacious residence deliberately scaled down from the Grand Trianon at Versailles. MacLaren traveled to France as part of the design process.
Colorado School for the Deaf and the Blind
33 N. Institute St.
State Register 3/11/1998, 5EP.2740
Established on this site in 1876, the school is significant for being the only school in the state dedicated solely to the education of the deaf and the blind. Ten campus buildings, constructed between 1906 and 1952 of Castle Rock rhyolite, exhibit a high degree of craftsmanship and design reflecting an eclectic mix of architectural styles.
Colorado Springs & Cripple Creek District Railway / Corley Mountain Highway
U.S. Forest Service Rd. 370, Colorado Springs vicinity
National Register 3/25/1999, 5EP.385.1 / 5TL.81.1
Constructed in 1900, the route began as the Colorado Springs & Cripple Creek District Railway. Colorado Springs coal mine owner and cattle breeder W.D. Corley converted the abandoned rail line during the early 1920s into an auto toll road known as the Corley Mountain Highway. Referred to as the Gold Camp Road since it was taken over by the U.S. Forest Service in 1939, this scenic route extends into Teller County. The historic origins of the rail line and the toll road are evident along the route, and it continues to be a popular attraction for local residents and tourists.
The Colorado Springs & Interurban Railway (CS&IR) Streetcar No. 48
2333 Steel Dr.
State Register 2/24/2011, 5EP.6740
The Colorado Springs & Interurban Railway (CS&IR) Streetcar No. 48 is the only surviving streetcar from the first batch of streetcars purchased for the Colorado Springs & Suburban Railway by Winfield Scott Stratton, the first millionaire in Cripple Creek after his strike at the Independence Mine in 1901. In terms of engineering, CS&IR No. 48 used the Brill convertible design, which provided six inches of additional passenger space and addressed worries about potential health hazards with the use of retractable windows, an improvement for streetcars as it made opening and closing windows a task that riders could accomplish in transit. The Brill convertibles use of the Narragansett steps - which featured two steps where one was retractable, thus enabling the steps to reach closer to the ground than the original one-step system - also represented the early beginning of the transition from wood-framed streetcars to steel frames. Purchased as a kit and assembled in Colorado Springs, the car originally contained a bulkhead separating the passenger compartment into two sections; one was used for smokers and one for non-smokers, a rarity on streetcars at that time. The CS&IR No. 48 was also the last streetcar to be used as a legal residence in the city of Colorado Springs, from 1932 or 1933 until 1998.
Colorado Springs City Auditorium
231 E. Kiowa St.
National Register 11/7/1995, 5EP.628
This 1922 building represents the culmination of the city’s efforts to create a large, multi-purpose meeting and entertainment facility. A collaborative effort by three of Colorado Springs’ most prominent and prolific architects: Charles E. Thomas, Thomas MacLaren, and Thompson D. Hetherington, the auditorium is the last of the classically-inspired civic buildings constructed in the city.
Colorado Springs City Hall
107 Nevada Ave.
National Register 2/19/2002, 5EP.652
The imposing two-story building served as the center of Colorado Springs government and administration from its construction in 1904 until 1980. An important example of the Classical Revival style, reflecting the influence of the City Beautiful movement in Colorado Springs, it is the only known collaborative effort by prominent local architects Thomas MacLaren and Thomas P. Barber. The building is noted for the quality of its stone masonry, utilizing Bare granite from Chaffee County and for its significant interior elements, including scagliola wall treatment.
Colorado Springs Day Nursery
104 E. Rio Grande St.
National Register 2/23/1990, 5EP.1191
The three-story building, constructed in 1922, was designed by William White Stickney for Mrs. F.M.P. Tylor, an important community benefactor. Its Tudor style exterior and interior remain intact.
Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center
30 W. Dale St.
National Register 7/3/1986, 5EP.622
The Center, built in 1936, was designed by John Gaw Meem. Its design is a blend of the regional Santa Fe style and modernism. The founder of the Fine Arts Center was Alice Bemis Taylor, an important local philanthropist.
Colorado Springs & Interurban Car No. 59
Rock Island Roundhouse
State Register 11/9/1994, 5EP.2179.1
This fine early 20th century example of the car builders’ art was purchased in 1901 during Winfield Stratton’s short but dynamic ownership of the interurban railway company. The car operated between Colorado Springs, Colorado City, and Manitou Springs.
Colorado Springs Post Office & Federal Courthouse
210 Pikes Peak Ave.
National Register 1/22/1986, 5EP.528
Constructed between 1908-1910, the Renaissance Revival / Beaux-Arts style building is a combined post office and federal building. Built during James Know Taylor’s tenure as Supervising Architect, it is a good example of the application of the style to government buildings. Listed under U.S. Post Offices in Colorado Thematic Resource.
Colorado Springs Public Library / Carnegie Building
21 W. Kiowa St.
National Register 11/1/1996, 5EP.646
This 1905 Neo-Classical brick building, with terra cotta trim, is an excellent local example of the architecture associated with the City Beautiful Movement. The building is also significant for its association with the efforts of the community to establish a public library and with the nationwide public library movement funded by Andrew Carnegie.
Cossitt Memorial Hall
906 N. Cascade Ave., Colorado College Campus
National Register 3/28/1997, 5EP.3955
Completed in 1914, the building, with its gymnasium, training and locker rooms, and no longer extant outdoor amphitheater, led to the adoption of a 3-year physical education requirement for graduation. Designed by Maurice Biscoe, it is the only representation of Neoclassicism on the campus and is notable for its Modernistic elements. Listed under Historic Resources of Colorado College Multiple Property Submission.
Cottonwood Creek Bridge
On Vincent Dr. over Cottonwood Creek
National Register 10/12/2001, 5EP.972
Completed in 1923, this cantilevered, concrete deck, girder bridge was an integral part of the North-South Highway, a main artery through Colorado during the early decades of the 20th century. Comprised of four 53-foot spans, it is one of four remaining concrete girder bridges the highway department designed and built in the 1920s employing cantilevering to achieve long span lengths, thus distinguishing it from the scores of concrete slab and beam bridges constructed during this period. The bridge’s design incorporated hammered concrete treatment on the spandrels and cast concrete balusters forming the guardrails.
912 N. Cascade Ave., Colorado College Campus
National Register 7/3/1986, 5EP.3951
Designed in the High Victorian Gothic style, by the Boston architectural firm of Peabody and Sterns, Cutler Hall was constructed between 1877 and 1880, with flanking wings added during 1881-1882. The building sits on the original parcel of land donated to the college by Major Henry McAlister, a director of the Colorado Springs Company. Listed under Colorado College Thematic Resource.
De Graff Building
116-118 N. Tejon
National Register 8/18/1983, 5EP.608
The four story masonry building is located in the heart of the central business district. Constructed in 1897 by Barber and Hastings, it is one of the few remaining commercial buildings dating from the boom period following the Cripple Creek gold strike.
Denver & Rio Grande Western Boxcar No. 60294
2333 Steel St.
State Register 2/26/2009, 5EP.6155
The 1939 Denver & Rio Grande Western (D&RGW) Boxcar No. 60294 is a rare example of railroad rolling stock designed specifically to transport automobiles. From 1941 to 1954 this boxcar was outfitted with special devices that allowed the shipping of automobiles. It was then adapted to general purpose cargo (moving auto parts and appliances) with other damage prevention devices, such as the Evans “Damage Free” or “DF” loaders. The car remained in automobile service until 1954. More information (PDF, 938.2 kb).
Denver & Rio Grande Western Boxcar No. 64084
2333 Steel St.
State Register 2/26/2009, 5EP.6156
As a representative type of rolling stock that illustrated the railroad’s experimentation in damage prevention equipment, Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad Boxcar No. 64084 was innovative for the time with nailable steel flooring. The 64000 series cars reflected several improvements from previous boxcars. It was a longer 50-foot length that allowed for a greater variety of cargo and had a metal roof walkway that reduced maintenance. The car remained in service into the 1980s. More information (PDF, 1.05 MB).
714 S. Nevada Ave.
State Register 2/22/2007, 5EP.4497
The circa 1907 house is as an excellent example of the Classic Cottage residential type in Colorado Springs. It embodies the distinctive characteristics of this building type: an elongated hipped roof, a full-width front porch, classical column porch supports, a central hipped roof dormer, and windows with architrave lintel trim. Other notable features include a side elevation bay window, leaded glass transom windows, narrow lap siding and a stone foundation. (2006 photograph.) More information (PDF, 1.33 MB).
1148 N. Cascade Avenue/1122 Wood Avenue
National Register 12/03/2014, 5EP.1515
The 1916 Dodge-Hamlin House is an excellent local representation of the Mission architectural style and its surrounding grounds are an intact residential landscape reflecting City Beautiful concepts. Both the house and gardens are the work of master architect Nicolaas van den Arend. In addition to its significance for architecture and landscape architecture, the property is significant in the field of Education, as specified in the Multiple Property Documentation Form (MPDF) Historic Resources of Colorado College, Colorado Springs, Colorado for its association with the growth of the Colorado College campus and its educational programs (1943-64). More information (PDF, 5.4 MB).
1106 N. Nevada Ave., Colorado College Campus
National Register 11/21/2006, 5EP.5097
Located on the campus of Colorado College, Edgeplain is associated with Chester Alan Arthur II, who owned the house between 1901 and 1922. The son of President Arthur, Alan and his wife purchased the house, remodeling and expanding it to accommodate their extensive calendar of dinners and parties. Alan became deeply involved in the social life of the Pikes Peak region and Edgeplain became one of the outstanding meeting places of the social leaders from Colorado Springs and Denver. The house is an example of the work of prominent Colorado Springs architects Walter Douglas and Thompson Hetherington. While not the original designers of the 1881 home, the firm was responsible for its substantial expansion and alteration. The walls consist of multi-hued sandstone blocks of varying widths and height laid in random work with tinted mortar. Indicative of the work of master stonemasons, the stone displays a variety of dressings (including pecked and vermiculated). The combination of colors and finishes is an unusual and distinguishing characteristic. More information (PDF, 1.19 MB).
El Paso County Courthouse (Pioneers Museum)
215 S. Tejon
National Register 9/29/1972, 5EP.190
This imposing gray granite and ornamental concrete block building served as the center of El Paso County government and administration from its completion in 1903 until 1973. Designed by local architect August J. Smith in the Second Renaissance Revival style, the building exhibits distinct horizontal divisions with each floor possessing different window sizes, shapes and surrounds. An ornate domed clock tower rises above the building, which was reopened in 1979 as the permanent home of the Colorado Springs Pioneers Museum.
El Pomar Estate
1661 Mesa Ave.
National Register 11/22/1995, 5EP.377
El Pomar was the home of Spencer Penrose, a prominent Colorado Springs citizen, who used his mining fortune to establish such enterprises as the Broadmoor Hotel. It is architecturally significant as an example of the Mission Revival style. The design of the buildings and related landscaping evolved from 1910 through the 1916-1939 period when Penrose owned the property. The estate represents the cumulative work of architects Horace Trumbauer, Charles Thomas, Thomas MacLaren, and the Olmsted Brothers.
Emmanuel Presbyterian Church
419 Mesa Rd.
National Register 5/17/1984, 5EP.321
This vernacular church was built in 1903 using local stone and wood. Although there is little distinguishing ornamentation, the building dominates its site and serves as a visual landmark on the west side of Colorado Springs.
1005 S. Hancock Ave.
National Register 2/11/1993, 5EP.179
As the oldest operating cemetery in Colorado Springs, Evergreen is significant for its association with the social history of the area during the city’s early development. Established in 1871, the 220 acre site was donated in part by the founder of Colorado Springs, General William Jackson Palmer who is interred there.
F.C. Austin Manufacturing Company Sprinkler Wagon
Rock Ledge Ranch
State Register 3/8/2000, 5EP.3500
The circa 1900 sprinkler wagon was an important aspect of city road maintenance, utilized to keep the dust down on the unpaved streets of Colorado Springs. Sprinkler wagons were the primary weapon in the war against dust, which was believed to transmit the deadly disease tuberculosis. Colorado Springs, a mecca for consumptives, could ill afford to have a reputation for dust. The wagon is a rare surviving example of this type of road maintenance vehicle and it is believed to be the only one in the state manufactured by the F.C. Austin Manufacturing Company.
First Baptist Church of Colorado City (Old Colorado City History Center)
1 S. 24th St.
State Register 6/14/1995, 5EP.597
The 1890 church is architecturally significant as an early design by Walter F. Douglas, a locally prominent architect. It is the last remaining, intact example of several churches that were constructed in Colorado City during the early 1890s.
First Congregational Church
20 E. Vrain St.
National Register 10/31/2002, 5EP.631
As one of the best examples of the Richardsonian Romanesque style in Colorado Springs, the 1889 building reflects the style in its broad roof planes, square tower crowned with a pyramidal roof, monumental massing, and rock-faced masonry. Designed by Henry Rutgers Marshall, a prominent eastern architect, high artistic values and skilled craftsmanship are reflected in the variety of stained glass windows, immense stone columns with picked finish, interior trussed ceiling, and ornate lantern tower. Founded in 1874, the early history of the congregation was closely associated with the development of Colorado College.
First Lutheran Church
301 E. Platte Ave.
State Register 7/13/1994, 5EP.636
Fort Collins Municipal Railway No. 22
2333 Steel Dr.
National Register 12/15/2011, 5EP.6891
The Fort Collins Municipal Railway No. 22 streetcar is an excellent example of the engineering advances of the Birney-model streetcars utilized in Colorado. It reduced both procurement and operating costs compared to previous designs and was the first wide use of steel frame and body construction rather than wood in streetcars. It was also the first major application of what commonly became known as “deadman’s controls” in a street car. Although these features apply to the over 6,000 Birney cars produced by various companies, this car was the last Birney car to operate in North America and was the last streetcar to operate in revenue service in Colorado. More information (PDF, 48 kb)
101 N. Tejon St.
National Register 4/21/1983, 5EP.527
At the time of its construction in 1898, this four-story brick building, with rounded arched windows and brick corbelling, was the tallest building in the city. It housed the largest department store in town and remained pre-eminent well into the 1960s. The Giddings family, prominent members in the community, maintained control of the business until 1950.
3820 N. 30th
National Register 4/21/1975, 5EP.189
By 1901, what began as a modest clapboard home in 1871 had evolved into the sixty-five room "castle" belonging to William Jackson Palmer, railroad magnate and founder of Colorado Springs. Frederick J. Sterner served as the architect. The property is located in a narrow canyon just north of the geological formation known as the Garden of the Gods.
Grace & Saint Stephen’s Episcopal Church
631 N. Tejon St.
National Register 12/15/2011, 5EP.350
Grace and St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church is architecturally significant as it embodies the distinctive characteristics of the Gothic Revival style in the 1894 and 1925 building portions, while the 1955 building area displays typical architectural characteristics of the Tudor Revival Style as interpreted by local architects and craftsmen. Each style is a significant representation of liturgical and architectural forms typical of the era across the country, reflecting the traditions and character-defining features of earlier popular architectural styles. The building represents one of the few surviving Gothic/Tudor Revival buildings in the Colorado Springs area. Grace and St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church is important as the locus for an Episcopalian tradition that started at Grace and St. Stephen’s Church and spread in the form of numerous auxiliary chapels across the City of Colorado Springs. Known under many names throughout its history, this congregation has been in existence since 1872 and in its current location since 1895, helping to shape the local cultural and religious traditions. More information (PDF, 924 kb)
730 N. Cascade Ave.
National Register 2/5/1987, 5EP.3956
An imposing Victorian era dwelling, its design combines Queen Anne forms with the English detailing that was popular locally when it was built in 1886. Designed by Willard B. Perkins for Edmiston Gwynne, in 1914 the Love family from Indianapolis purchased the house. The residence survives as one of approximately a dozen large, intact historic homes in the center of the city.
610 N. Cascade Ave.
National Register 9/20/1984, 5EP.548
James John Hagerman built this three-story Victorian mansion in 1885. In 1927, it was converted into luxury apartments. The original house was constructed of pink, rock-faced sandstone, and later sympathetic additions enhanced the architectural value of the whole.
This circa 1925, two-abreast, half-and-half, carousel was manufactured by the Allan Herschell Company and arrived at the zoo in 1937. It is an example of the county fair style carousel--a simple, hard-working, portable machine. The horses, constructed of carved wooden heads and bodies with aluminum legs, are an early example of the impending shift in carousel figure manufacturing away from carved wood to cast aluminum.
1029 N. Nevada Ave., Colorado College Campus
State Register 12/8/1999, 5EP.3482
The 1900 Jackson House is associated with the development of the residential neighborhood directly east of Colorado College, an area of wealthy city residents who would became benefactors of the college. The building was donated to Colorado College in 1914 and became its administration building, later serving as a dormitory. During World War II, the college was the site of a Navy-Marine training unit, and the Jackson House was one of the facilities converted to meet Navy housing requirements.
Knights of Columbus Hall
25 W. Kiowa Street
State Register 9/24/2015, 5EP.634
The 1928 Knights of Columbus Hall was the site of numerous social and entertainment activities in Colorado Springs, including fraternal organization meetings and social gatherings, and public assemblies, particularly for young people and high school students. In 1937 it became the first home of the Pioneer Museum, now known as the Colorado Springs Pioneers Museum. The Museum was essential to preserving and interpreting the history of the Colorado Springs community and was visited by residents, tourists, and school children for forty years before relocating to the former County Courthouse (5EP.190) in 1977. In addition, the Hall is a good example of the Mission style and as an example of renowned local architect Thomas MacLaren’s work. It is one of MacLaren’s last designs built before his death in December 1928. More information (PDF, 5MB)
1001 N. Nevada Ave., Colorado College Campus
State Register 8/11/1999, National Register 10/21/1999, 5EP.3359
Constructed in 1900 for a prominent businessman, the house became part of the Colorado College campus in 1936. It is associated with the development of north Colorado Springs and subsequently played a significant role in the college’s history, serving as the Student Union from 1937 to 1959. The building is a good example of the Mission Revival style and is the work of prominent Denver architect Frederick J. Sterner. Listed under Historic Resources of Colorado College Multiple Property Submission.
1130 N. Cascade Ave.
National Register 12/3/2013, 5EP.6315
The 1892 Lindley-Johnson-Vanderhoof House is significant for its architecture as an excellent example of the Queen Anne style in Colorado Springs executed in stone and brick, as reflected in its steeply pitched gables, asymmetrical façade, use of multiple materials, circular tower and semi-decagonal bay, one-story porch extending into a terrace, and porte cochère. The house features a variety of surface ornamentation, including decorative shingles, panels with ropework, rock-faced red sandstone, and red brick. The reconfiguration of the porch and other changes in the 1920s were in keeping with the original style and reflected its continued use as a residence with an attractively landscaped yard. More information (PDF, 6.13 MB)
Los Angeles Railway Streetcar No. 3101
2333 Steel Dr.
State Register 2/24/2011, 5EP.6739
The Los Angeles Railway (LARy) No.3101's Presidential Conference Committee (PCC) car design represents a major engineering development in rail-based surface street transportation. Additionally, the LARy No. 3101 is one of only two surviving electric passenger rail vehicles built in the US during 1943, at the height of World War II. When it moved to Colorado in 1963, it became the first PCC car to operate in the state and was the last streetcar to operate in Cripple Creek.
Lowell Elementary School
831 S. Nevada Ave.
State Register 3/8/1995, 5EP.3958
The result of an ambitious ten-year community school building program, this impressive 1891 structure, with its 1902 addition, employs an unusual expression of the Romanesque Revival style.
Maytag Aircraft Building
701 S. Cascade Ave.
State Register 12/16/2005, National Register 1/16/2008, 5EP.4542
Described as a “tidy form-meets-function design” and a “little masterpiece of local modernity,” the building, designed by local architects Dietz Lusk and James Wallace, is an important example of Modernism in Colorado Springs. The building is distinguished by its folded plate roof, cantilevered walls of glazed turquoise brick, and an integral exterior courtyard. Constructed in 1957 as offices for a specialized aircraft business, the exposed aluminum trusses in the roof system were designed to imitate aircraft wings. Only a handful of office buildings were built in downtown Colorado Springs during the early post-World War II era, and the Maytag building stands out not only for its unusual design, but also because of its cutting-edge materials. (2005 photograph.) More information (PDF, 2.28 MB).
423 N. Cascade Ave.
National Register 8/14/1973, 5EP.191
Major Henry McAllister, close associate of William J. Palmer, hired Philadelphia architect George Sommers to design and build this large red brick residence during 1873-1874. The property is open to the public as a museum.
930 N. Cascade Ave., Colorado College Campus
National Register 1/27/2000, 5EP.3481
Built in 1903, the style building, designed by the architectural firm of Douglas and Hetherington, is notable for its Colorado Springs red sandstone construction. It was the college’s third dormitory for women and reflects the increasing number of female students at the college during the early 20th century. The building also housed the first women’s athletic facility on the campus and was the location of the women’s physical education department after its completion. Listed under Historic Resources of Colorado College Multiple Property Submission.
Clark Mellen Apartments
218-232½ E. Fountain Blvd.
State Register 8/11/1993, 5EP.3957
Built in 1902 for Clark Mellen, the one-story Terrace style building helped meet the housing needs of working families. Apartments of this type provided affordable housing for those flocking to Colorado Springs in the early 20th century and were profitable for the landlord.
Midland Terminal Railroad Roundhouse (Van Briggle Art Pottery)
600 S. 21st St.
National Register 7/10/1979, 5EP.194
The Colorado Midland Railroad constructed the stone fourteen-stall roundhouse in 1889 for the maintenance of its steam locomotives. The facility served the railroad until the abandonment of the successor Midland Terminal line in 1949. Once common along railroad rights-of-way, surviving roundhouses are extremely rare in Colorado. Listed under Railroads in Colorado, 1858-1948 Multiple Property Submission.
1030 N. Cascade Ave., Colorado College campus
National Register 9/13/1990, 5EP.3952
Monument Valley Park
Approximately bounded by Monroe, Culebra, Westview and Bejou Sts., the BNSF railroad tracks, and the west edge of the north-south trail, north of Del Norte, Colorado Springs
National Register 1/25/2007, 5EP.613
This two-mile long ribbon of public park land green is the most significant component of the open spaces donated by city founder William Jackson Palmer that formed the nucleus of the public park system. Palmer envisioned its creation, acquired the land, provided direction for its development, and paid the immense cost of its initial improvement. He selected the original landscape architect and worked closely with the engineer to insure that the design and plantings proceeded according his exacting specifications. Monument Valley Park is considered the most significant of Palmer’s park donations, and it was the most extensively planned and improved. It most represents his philosophies of park use and development, including an emphasis on preserving and utilizing existing topography, enframing scenic views, employing native materials and vegetation, and most notably excluding motorized vehicles. Creation of this park was one of the largest local employment projects in the city during 1904-07. The park has served as a place of quiet contemplation as well as for active recreation.
The park exhibits the work of landscape architects and planners Charles W. Leavitt, Jr. and Charles Mulford Robinson, as well as that of engineer Edmond C. van Diest. Architecturally, the Rustic style is displayed in early 20th century park resources and translated by the WPA in the 1930s into a number of native stone park features (such as bridges, ditches, seating areas, retaining walls, entrances, monuments and overlooks). Following the 1935 Memorial Day flood, the Works Progress Administration focused major efforts on the park. Flood debris cleanup, creek re-channeling, building and structure restoration, and the erection of new monuments and structures, all provided a major source of local employment during the Great Depression. More information (PDF, 3.38 MB).
2817 N. Nevada Ave.
National Register 9/13/1990, 5EP.1179
Built in 1935 to house a bar and restaurant, the one-story polygonal building, topped with a massive neon sign, is a good example of 1930s roadside architecture.
North Cheyenne Cañon Park
2120 Cheyenne Cañon Road
National Register 7/8/2009, 5EP.5968
North Cheyenne Cañon Park reflects the rising interest in conservation in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries and the subsequent growth of tourism and recreation in the American West. The idea of setting aside wilderness areas as parks as a way of preserving them began in the middle to late nineteenth century. In 1885 the City of Colorado Springs purchased the initial six hundred acres, forming the core of the park. The city sought to set aside and preserve the canon as a place where the public could experience the natural splendor. With the coming of the railroad in the last decades of the nineteenth century, travel to the West became easier and the park became an important Colorado tourist attraction. To accommodate visitors early in the park's history, park managers established hiking trails, some of which followed existing footpaths.
North End Historic District
Bounded by Monument Valley, Wood, Nevada, Madison & Uintah Sts.
National Register 12/17/1982, 5EP.333
The North End neighborhood contains the finest collection of turn-of-the-century residential architecture in Colorado Springs. Represented are popular styles of the period, including Georgian Revival, Mission, Spanish Colonial Revival, and Bungaloid. With few intrusions, the district maintains the feeling and ambience of a bygone era.
North Weber Street-Wahsatch Avenue Residential District
North Weber Between Boulder & Del Norte
National Register 2/8/1985, 5EP.348
This district is significant as an intact middle-class neighborhood dating from the late 19th and early 20th century. Its design and setting reflect the early planning principles and philosophies that guided the initial development of the community.
Old Colorado City Historic Commercial District
North side of Colorado Ave. from 24th St. to 2611 Colorado Ave., also includes 115 S. 26th St. and 2418 W. Pikes Peak Ave.
National Register 11/2/1982, 5EP.332
Located on the west side of what is now Colorado Springs, Colorado City, the first permanent settlement in the Pike’s Peak region, was formally organized on August 13, 1859. It served for a time as the Territorial capital and was annexed by Colorado Springs in 1917. Examples of the Queen Anne, Italianate, and Romanesque Revival can be found among the 27 properties within the district.
Original Colorado Springs Municipal Airport
Peterson Air & Space Museum)
150 E. Ent Ave. Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado Springs
National Register 11/15/1996, 5EP.774
The airport is associated with the pioneering era of commercial air travel and the circa 1926 development of airmail service in Colorado. Buildings within the district illustrate the architecture, physical layout, and internal organization of 1920s and 1930s airports. Architectural styles represented include Spanish Colonial Revival, Art Moderne, and Art Deco. The facility now serves as an aviation museum with a mission to preserve and portray the aviation and space history of Colorado Springs and Peterson Air Force Base.
116 E. San Rafael St., Colorado College campus
National Register 7/3/1986, 5EP.3953
Constructed in 1904, Palmer Hall is located on the eastern portion of the campus where it dominates the north edge of a large open square. Designed by Andrews, Jacques, and Rantoul of Boston in the Romanesque Revival style, it is a massive two-story building of rock-faced, peachblow sandstone. Listed under Historic Resources of Colorado College Thematic Resource.
2 Park Ave.
National Register 2/26/2001, 5EP.3182
Designed by the prominent Colorado Springs architectural firm of MacLaren and Hetherington, the 1918 chapel is an important example of the Spanish Colonial Revival style, which is not well represented in Colorado. While the architectural partnership designed several Mission style buildings, the chapel appears to be the firm’s only foray into the more ornate Spanish Colonial Revival style. Pauline Chapel was built under the direct supervision of local philanthropist Julie Penrose, who remained connected to the chapel for the rest of her life, collecting many of the beautiful art and antiques that fill the chapel. The 1925 Mission-inspired rectory and garage complement the chapel.
People’s Methodist Episcopal Church
527 E. St. Vrain St.
National Register 7/25/2014, 5EP.7321
The 1904 church served its African-American congregation until 1965, when the congregation relocated. Embodying distinctive Queen Anne and Gothic Revival style elements, it is one of Colorado Springs’ oldest wood-framed and clad churches. It served as the local headquarters for the Universal Negro Improvement Association (UNIA). Marcus Garvey established the UNIA in 1914; it became one of the largest black empowerment movements in the world. Garvey visited the church in 1922 and with his second wife, Amy Jacques Garvey, in 1924. Amy’s important role within the organization was undeniable. In 1924 she delivered the sole address to the Colorado Springs division at the church. More information (PDF, 1.59 MB).
Pike National Forest, 15 miles west of Colorado Springs
National Historic Landmark 7/4/1961, National Register 10/15/1966, 5EP.193
First observed by Zebulon Montgomery Pike in 1806, Pike’s Peak has become one of the best known and most visited mountains in the United States. Exploited for timber during the Cripple Creek mining days, efforts of the U.S. Forest Service during the 1920s and 1930s helped to reforest the mountainside. It is one of over 30 Colorado mountains exceeding 14,000 feet in elevation. A road and cog railway run to the top, and modern facilities accommodate the many tourists.
U.S. Air Force Academy
National Register 1/27/1975, 5EP.182
Built by William Alexander Burgess between 1871 and 1877, the cabin is one of the oldest standing structures in the Douglas Valley. It survives as a good local representative of the heritage of the early pioneers.
830 N. Tejon St.
National Register 9/1/1983, 5EP.331
Built in 1901, the hotel is a four story, H-plan structure of cream colored pressed brick. It is Renaissance Revival in its overall massing, while Spanish influences are evident in its detailing. Listed under Colorado College Thematic Resource.
La Foret Conference and Retreat Center
6145 Shoup Rd., Colorado Springs vicinity
National Register 8/29/2008, 5EP.5887
The Lodge is an excellent representation of the master craftsmanship of prominent Denver architect Jules Jacques Benois Benedict. Designed in his “Colorado Alpine” or Rustic style, the 1928 building originally served as the summer home of Alice Bemis Taylor. The planning of large urban and mountain residences constituted the major source of commissions for Benedict throughout his career. His mountain homes represent a blending of the formality he displayed in his urban residences combined with his extensive work in the Denver Mountain Parks. Known for his attention to detail, Benedict’s mountain homes and lodges employed native construction material and displayed the finest craftsmanship. Ponderosa Lodge utilized ponderosa pine lumber cut from the western slope of Pike’s Peak. The lighting fixtures and fireplace screens throughout the Lodge were constructed of custom hammered iron featuring various western and nature motifs. The elaborate fireplace and outstanding staircase in the main hall form signature elements of Benedict’s design. The property is associated with the Architecture of Jules Jacques Benois Benedict in Colorado Multiple Property Submission. (2008 photograph.) More information (PDF, 6.19 MB). See other Rustic properties.
225 N. Gate Rd., Colorado Springs vicinity
State Register 9/10/1997, 5EP.2223
The well-preserved 1894 farmhouse, with its noteworthy gable trim, is a good example of a Queen Anne in a rural setting. The architecturally significant complex of buildings represents a typical farmstead and is one of just a handful of farmsteads remaining in northern El Paso County.
Ida M. Rice House
1196 N. Cascade Ave., Colorado College Campus
National Register 11/21/2006, 5EP.5098
The Rice House is one of the finest examples of Colonial Revival design in Colorado Springs. The style is reflected in the rectangular massing, symmetrical façade , side-gabled roof, vertically aligned windows, and a central front door accentuated with sidelights, columns and an arched pediment. Georgian influences are seen in the decorative moldings of the cornice, the pedimented dormers, and the pilasters and elaborate entablature around the entrance. The 1927 house is brick, while most of the Colonial Revival residences erected in the city during this period were frame. The Rice House represents the movement toward historically correct proportions and detailing. The design represents the work of master architect Thomas P. Barber. No other Colonial Revival style residences have been attributed to Barber, and this is his last documented work in Colorado. More information (PDF, 798.65 kb).
Denver & Rio Grande Western Locomotive No. 168
National Register 8/10/1979, 5CN.1650 (formerly 5EP.203)
The locomotive was moved, with prior approval of the Keeper of the National Register, to the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad’s rail yard in Antonito, Conejos County in September 2015.
Second Midland School / Old Midland School
815 S. 25th St.
National Register 9/12/1980, 5EP.201
The 1902 three-story building, of red sandstone and brick, reflects the height, massing, and classical architectural elements typical of turn of the century urban schools.
Shove Memorial Chapel
1010 N. Nevada Ave., Colorado College
National Register 5/22/2005, 5EP.4711
Erected in 1930-31, the chapel has been described as “one of the foremost examples of Norman Romanesque architecture in America.” Inspired by historic churches in England and Normandy, this original composition includes traditional components of Romanesque churches, including monumental size, masonry walls, limited exterior ornamentation, semi-circular arches, wall arcades, and a substantial tower. The chapel was the first major building architect John Gray designed after establishing his own practice, and it is regarded as his most important work. His all-encompassing design ranged from the planning of the door hinges to the creation of the print on the memorial tablets. Despite the Depression, the donor and architect were of one mind to create a building that combined the finest materials, artistry, and craftsmanship. Gray utilized artists and craftsmen from around the country to complete his carefully planned, meticulously detailed design. The stonework of the walls required exacting skill, as each piece of Bedford limestone was cut in Indiana to precisely fit a certain location on the building. Master stone carver John Bruce executed the ornamental work based on designs provided by the sculptor. Robert Garrison, considered Denver’s first important 20th century sculptor, designed the exterior carvings, including the gargoyles and carved heads. An authority on design and painting of church interiors, Robert E. Wade planned and painted the ceilings. Joseph Reynolds, Jr. of the nationally recognized Boston firm of Reynolds, Francis, and Rohnstock, designed all the stained glass windows. The east wall of the Morning/Pilgrim Chapel is embedded with ancient stones from buildings in England important to the Shove family. The property is associated with the Colorado College Historic Resources of Colorado College Multiple Property Submission.
Shrine of the Sun (Will Rogers Shrine)
4250 Cheyenne Mountain Zoo Rd.
National Register 11/3/1994, 5EP.2175
Designed as the burial site for Spencer and Julie Penrose, the 100-foot high tower has been a local landmark since its construction in 1937. Colorado Springs architect Charles E. Thomas incorporated native materials into the Romanesque Revival structure, including locally quarried granite. The interior walls are adorned with murals by Randall Davey depicting the evolution of the Pikes Peak region.
St. Mary’s Catholic Church
26 W. Kiowa
National Register 6/3/1982, 5EP.208
The construction of the church spanned the decade from 1891 to 1902. Designed by the Colorado Springs architectural firm of Pease and Barber, elements of Neo-Gothic design were used in conjunction with modern materials to meet contemporary needs
Stockbridge House (Amarillo Motel)
2801 W. Colorado Ave.
National Register 9/11/1980, 5EP.166
Completed in 1891, architect Walter F. Douglas designed the Richardsonian Romanesque style building to be fire-proof. The brick and stone walls are eighteen inches thick. The site is the former location of the first building constructed in Colorado City.
Taylor Memorial Chapel
6145 Shoup Rd., Colorado Springs vicinity
National Register 4/15/1999, 5EP.1297
The 1929 Pueblo style building was designed by noted southwestern architect John Gaw Meem, for prominent Colorado Springs resident Alice Bemis Taylor, as a memorial to her husband. Its walled courtyard enhances the sculptural quality of the building. The chapel now functions as part of the La Foret Conference and Retreat Center.
926 N. Cascade Ave., Colorado College Campus
National Register 1/27/2000, 5EP.3480
Erected in 1897-98 and designed by the architectural firm of Douglas and Hetherington, the building was the second women’s dormitory to be built on the campus and continues to serve in that capacity. It is notable for its Colorado red and green dolostone construction and represents Late Victorian residential design adapted to collegiate architecture. Its home-like appearance reflects then popular philosophies of collegiate housing for women. Listed under Historic Resources of Colorado College Multiple Property Submission.
United States Air Force Academy, Cadet Area
Roughly between Cadet Dr. and Faculty Dr., U.S. Air Force Academy
National Historic Landmark 4/1/2004, National Register 4/1/2004, 5EP.4680
A product of the Cold War, the Cadet Area made important contributions to America’s military and architectural heritage. The United States Air Force Academy was created in 1954 to serve as the primary undergraduate educational institution for the newly created service and temporary facilities were established in Denver. In September 1958, following the near completion of the cadet area, the cadets moved to the campus north of Colorado Springs. The Cadet Area ranks among the most significant collection of modernist buildings commissioned by a federal agency during the post-World War II era. Designed by Skidmore, Owings and Merrill, the architectural firm utilized many technological advances developed specifically by the military during the war. The buildings, especially the Chapel, stirred a national debate in Congress, professional journals, and the media.
Van Briggle Pottery Company
1125 Glen Avenue / 231 West Uintah Street
Colorado College campus
National Register 4/29/2009, 5EP.614
The 1908 Van Briggle Pottery Company building is a remarkable expression of early 20th century pottery factory architecture, as an excellent example of the work of Colorado Springs architect Nicolaas van den Arend, and as a building displaying high artistic values exhibited in thousands of artistic tiles and terra cotta architectural features adorning its walls. The architect created a visually stimulating building that would attract visitors, provide a canvass for the display of its decorative products, and incorporate beauty that would inspire its workers. Anne Van Briggle played a significant role in the establishment of the pottery; she secured the financing and the site for the building, planned the building with the architect and engineer, designed and fabricated most the ornamental elements on the interior and exterior, and headed the company when the building opened in 1908. The Van Briggle Pottery, operating in this building from 1908 to 1968 and still producing pottery to the present day, is the longest-lived producer of art pottery in Colorado and one of the longest-operating of such businesses in the nation. The company’s importance in the art pottery industry is reflected in the recognition and awards bestowed at national and international exhibitions, becoming one of the most awarded potteries in the country. The building is listed at the national level of significance. More information (PDF, 835kb).
Verner Z. Reed Memorial Library
502 South Tejon Street
State Register 5/28/2009, 5EP.647
Designed by noted Colorado Springs architect Thompson Duncan Hetherington, the Verner Z. Reed Memorial Library was constructed in 1926 as a good example of a small scale Classical Revival style building in the South End neighborhood. The Reed building exhibits the key elements of the style such as a pedimented entry, dentil molding, Tuscan columns, and arched windows with keystones. Hetherington added an interesting twist with the commercial influence through the flat roof, parapet with coping, brick walls, and single story. Built to provide a library for the working class citizens of the South End area, the building is important as it represents the effort to construct infrastructure for the neighborhood while providing an important service to the local community. Additionally, the building served as a meeting place for the Verner Z. Reed Hose Company No. 6 as well as various social groups over the years. More information (PDF, 1.88 MB).
John Wolfe House
905 W. Cheyenne Rd.
National Register 1/23/2013, 5EP.392
The 1887 John Wolfe House property illustrates the evolution of the local area from agriculture and ranching to a residential neighborhood. John Wolfe originally homesteaded land for agricultural use, transitioned from rancher to miner, and then in 1887 began selling parcels of his property for residential development. This district, with the house, yard, brick garage and driveway layout, represents that evolution. The stone dugout, built circa 1887, is a significant example of its type and construction. The Wolfe House, built circa 1896, is an excellent example of a vernacular Victorian residence using locally produced brick. More information (PDF, 849 kb).
YWCA Building / Colorado Springs Company
130 E. Kiowa St.
National Register 9/10/1979, 5EP.198
Completed in 1913, the five and one-half story red brick building, with a somewhat Mediterranean feel, reflects the eclectic interests of the architect, Nicholas Van den Arend. The Young Women’s Christian Movement did not arrive in Colorado Springs until 1899. A fundraising campaign for this new building began in 1909. The YWCA Building served as a center for social, cultural and humanitarian activities.
20500 Drennan Rd., Ellicott vicinity
State Register 8/30/2007, National Register 4/16/2008, 5EP.4967
The circa 1917 schoolhouse and its ancillary buildings provide physical evidence about the conditions of rural education prevailing in Colorado well into the mid-20th century. Drennan School contained two classrooms and a stage in which four teachers taught grades one through twelve until dwindling enrollment forced its closure in 1955. Like most rural schools, it also served as a focus of community life hosting a wide variety of social activities. In addition, the building housed a post office and the switchboard for the first area-wide telephone system in El Paso County. The community continues to use the building for various social gatherings. The property is associated with the Rural School Buildings in Colorado Multiple Property Submission. (2007 photograph.) More information (PDF, 1.6 MB).
Denver & New Orleans Railroad Segment
Along Elbert Rd., north of Falcon
State Register 12/13/1995, 5EP.868.1 / 5EL.299.1
The Denver and New Orleans Railroad operated over this now abandoned grade between 1881 and 1936. The Denver and New Orleans was the first standard gauge railroad to operate between Denver, Colorado Springs and Pueblo.
Old Livery Stable
217 W. Missouri
National Register 3/2/1979, 5EP.202
The stable was built in 1893 as part of a small hotel complex and fell into disuse after the advent of the automobile. A one and a half story building with thick stone walls, its vernacular design reflects utilitarian values.
Joseph and Rosa Wilson Farmstead
11190 Old Pueblo Rd.
State Register 2/24/2011, 5EP.6384
The Joseph and Rosa C. Wilson Farmstead is a good example of one of the few remaining farming complexes in the area that contain the farmhouse, outbuildings, and rural landscape that typified early-twentieth-century agriculture in the region. Built in 1914, the farmhouse is significant as a rare example of the “Westly Modern Home” model kit home available through mail order from the Sears, Roebuck & Co. between 1908 and 1934. The Farmstead also contains a number of agricultural buildings dating from circa 1900 to circa 1980, most dating from around the time of the construction of the farmhouse. (ca. 1919 photograph.)
Green Mountain Falls Gazebo
Lake St. and Ute Pass Ave., Green Mountain Falls
State Register 8/31/2006, 5EP.439
The Gazebo stands on a small island in the middle of a man-made lake. Designed as a scenic attraction for visitors arriving by train and a complement to a nearby resort hotel, the gazebo was built in about 1888 when the area was being developed as a summer resort. The Gazebo is a good example of a type of structure popular during the late Victorian period. Variously called belvederes, pavilions, summer houses and garden houses, gazebos sprang up across America in the 1880s decorating public parks and private grounds. Open on all sides, these picturesque constructions offered rest and repose while promoting a feeling of harmony with nature. One of the most frequently photographed structures in the Ute Pass area, it is the signature building for the town. The Gazebo is an easily recognized visual landmark for the town of Green Mountain Falls and a popular site for community and private events. More information (PDF, 572 kb).
Barker House / Navajo Apartment
819 Manitou Ave.
National Register 10/11/1979, 5EP.197
Built in the 1870s, the hotel incorporates features found in resort hotels of the late 19th century. The wood frame building rests on a stone foundation. The property is associated with Charles W. Barker, an important Manitou politician.
Briarhurst / William A. Bell House
404 Manitou Ave.
National Register 4/23/1973, 5EP.184
The residence was designed for William A. Bell by the New York and Denver architectural firm of Varian and Sterner. Completed in 1888, the Gothic Revival style building was constructed with native peachblow granite.
Bridge Over Fountain Creek
US Business Rt. 24
National Register 2/4/1985, 5EP.395
Reportedly the last bridge by the prolific Pueblo Bridge Company, this 1932 two-ribbed, reinforced concrete, open spandrel deck arch in Fountain Canyon was designed by King Burghardt. It functioned as a significant crossing on the automobile route built along the old Ute Trail. Listed under Highway Bridges in Colorado Multiple Property Submission.
306 Cañon Ave.
National Register 3/27/1980, 5EP.192
The Cliff House was built in the winter of 1873, with additions constructed during the subsequent thirty years. The large wood frame structure, on a stone foundation, occupies approximately one half acre of a two and one half acre lot in downtown Manitou Springs and includes many Victorian details.
Crystal Valley Cemetery
National Register 11/18/1982, 5EP.336
This cemetery began operation at its present location during the late 1800s. The approximately twenty acre site includes green stone walls and gate posts with a wrought iron gate. Listed under Manitou Springs Multiple Resource Area.
First Congregational Church
101 Pawnee Ave.
National Register 10/16/1979, 5EP.185
Gothic in flavor, the church, completed in 1882 of locally quarried stone, has a two-story tower at the northwest corner. Although evidence is inconclusive, it is thought that the architect was Robert S. Roeschlaub.
Keithly Log Cabin Development District
Bounded by Santa Fe Pl., Crystal Rd., Spur Rd.
National Register 11/18/1982, 5EP.334
The architectural character of the 27 properties within the district reflects the "picturesque" mode popular in the late 19th century. Listed under Manitou Springs Multiple Resource Area.
Manitou Bath House
934 Manitou Ave.
National Register 8/1/1979, 5EP.187
The circa 1920 bath house, constructed above a mineral springs, is a three-story building with a tower. Its Spanish flavor is reminiscent of the Mission style.
Manitou Springs Bridge, Cañon Avenue
Over Fountain Creek
National Register 6/24/1985, 5EP.530.69
In 1906, the city contracted with local masons to construct this semicircular, stone ashlar filled arch bridge to replace an existing timber structure. Listed under Highway Bridges in Colorado Multiple Property Submission.
Manitou Springs Bridge, Park Avenue
Over Fountain Creek
National Register 6/24/1985, 5EP.530.70
This 1907 bridge is nearly identical to the Canon Avenue Bridge. Still in service, both are considered excellent examples of rubble arch construction. Listed under Highway Bridges in Colorado Multiple Property Submission.
Manitou Springs Historic District
Bounded by El Paso Blvd., Ruxton Ave., US 24 & Iron Mt. Ave.
National Register 10/7/1983, 5EP.530
The Manitou Springs Historic District, which encompasses almost the entire city limits, is representative of late 19th and early 20th century resort communities. Located five miles from Colorado Springs, it was founded by General William Jackson Palmer of the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad. Platted by his Colorado Springs Company in 1876, Manitou Springs retains its winding roads, spa, and many of its grand hotels and residences. Of the approximately 1001 buildings, 752 are considered to be contributing to the district’s significance. From its beginning, the local economy depended almost exclusively on tourism. Listed under Manitou Springs Multiple Resource Area.
Manitou Springs Post Office
307 Cañon Ave.
National Register 1/24/1986, 5EP.530.71
Constructed in 1940, the building is a well executed interpretation of American Colonial Revival design. The use of stone distinguishes the building from other examples in Colorado and symbolizes the success of local citizens in obtaining authorization for its use. Listed under U.S. Post Offices in Colorado Thematic Resource.
Miramount / Francolon’s Castle
9 Capitol Hill
National Register 4/11/1977, 5EP.204
Completed in 1897, the castle includes an eclectic mix of Late Victorian architectural styles. Built from memory, by Father Jean Baptiste Francolon, as a replica of the family chateau in France, the walls are of sandstone and granite. For a time, it housed a sanitarium operated by the Sisters of Mercy. During World War II, the interior was divided into apartments for Camp Carson families. In 1975, it was purchased for use as a museum by the Manitou Springs Historical Society.
717-719 Manitou Ave.
National Register 9/12/1980, 5EP.200
This impressive 1888 building constructed for Jerome B. Wheeler, one of the great financiers and mining barons of the late 19th century, reflects the influence of both the Italianate and Romanesque Revival styles.
Inez Johnson Lewis School
146 Jefferson St.
National Register 11/3/1988, 5EP.1106
The original 1920 portion of this two-story brick Mission style building was designed by Colorado Springs architects MacLaren and Hetherington. It was one of the first schools constructed in the region for the purpose of consolidating the student population.
Off I-25, two miles west of Monument
State Register 6/12/1996, 5EP.593
Monument Nursery, on the eastern edge of Pike National Forest, is associated with the evolving management philosophy of the United States Forest Service. From 1907 until 1965, the nursery produced and shipped an average of two million trees annually for planting in National Forests throughout the Rocky Mountain West. The site includes remains of the original 1907-09 headquarters and a Memorial Grove established in 1920. The existing headquarters complex was constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps between 1934 and 1942.&nbps; (1996 photographs.)
Palmer Lake Star
500 Highland Rd.
State Register 1/18/2013, 5EP.7092
The Palmer Lake Star sits on a 1.5-acre site on Sundance Mountain. The mountainside, which has a 58 percent slope, provides the ideal location to provide maximum exposure for the five-point star. Thirty galvanized steel posts hold the electrical wiring, the 91, 40-watt light bulbs light bulbs, support cables, and connectors. Depending on the terrain, the posts range from 3 feet to 8 feet tall. The star, built over a three month period, was initially designed using surveyor transits and measuring devices. Once complete, it did not appear as a symmetric five-point star when viewed from a distance, instead it had a somewhat oblong appearance. The builders discovered that altering the height of the bulbs helped to provide the appearance of straight lines. Although there were alterations in 2002, the appearance of the star is the effectively the same since construction. The material changes are in keeping with nature of a structure that requires maintenance to ensure longevity and meet electrical codes. The Palmer Lake Star is eligible at the local level in the area of geography /community identity for the period of 1935-1976. This site is a focal point within the community of Palmer Lake and has become the most identifiable landmark for those inside and outside of the town. It has served as the distinctive holiday season feature identified with Palmer Lake since 1935. More information (PDF, 201 kb)
Black Squirrel Creek Bridge
US Hwy. 24, Falcon vicinity
National Register 10/15/2002, 5EP.3561
The 226-foot long bridge features a 150-foot long steel rigid connected Parker through truss as its main span. Erected in 1935 by bridge contractors Charles B. Owen and A.S. Horner, the Colorado Department of Highways designed structure fabricated by Minneapolis-Moline Power Implement Company, remains virtually intact as a rare surviving example of a once important long span truss type. Listed under Highway Bridges in Colorado Multiple Property Submission.
Little Fountain Creek Bridge
Colo. Hwy. 115, Widefield vicinity
National Register 10/15/2002, 5EP.3603
The steel multiplate structure fabricated by Thompson Manufacturing Company supports two barrel arches, each spanning 15 feet. Faced with well crafted stonework, including cut stone voussoirs and keystones, the bridge appears as a true stone arch structure. Constructed in 1936, in conjunction with improvements to the highway in a rural area between Colorado Springs and Cañon City, it continues to function as a good example of a bridge built by the Works Progress Administration during the years of the Great Depression. Listed under Highway Bridges in Colorado Multiple Property Submission.