The tiny Elbert Presbyterian Church has perched on a hillside overlooking this eastern plains farming and ranching community since 1889 It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980, and still serves as a gathering and worship place today.
The church was built on land donated by Jacob Frick, one of Elbert's first settlers Rev. S. R. Shull from Colorado Springs raised funds for construction When $1500.00 was in hand, local carpenter (and Justice of the Peace) Taylor Green began work At the same time, Green built the church pews that are still in use The building is little changed from that time Originally built with a bell hung in the nave, the bell tower was quickly added when the congregation realized that ringing the bell shook the entire building The advent of automobiles brought about construction of a parking lot at the side of the church, and the front Main Street entrance fell into disuse A new side entrance was added for more convenient access In 1950 the congregation added a wing to the other side of the church as a gathering place and kitchen.
On Memorial Day in 1935 heavy rains caused Kiowa Creek to flood and more than sixty-five buildings in the little town were destroyed The church, sited on the hill, was spared and provided shelter and care for citizens who had lost their homes or had been injured The church was also the center for distribution of food and clothing for other refugees.
Today the church serves a congregation of about 40 families, and also opens its doors for community events, festivals and school classes.
The State Historical Fund provided money for an assessment of the building's condition in 2001. The building needed foundation, window and bell tower repair, a new roof and drainage system, as well as an upgraded electrical system The congregation has raised $58,325.00 to match their grant award of $174,974.00 from the State Historical Fund Work will begin in the spring of 2002.