Battlement Mesa Schoolhouse
7201 300 Rd.
National Register 4/21/1983, 5GF.135
Constructed in 1897, with a rear addition in 1907, this one-story stone rural schoolhouse replaced an earlier log structure. Listed under Rural School Buildings in Colorado Multiple Property Submission.
1605 Hwy. 133
National Register 7/23/2013, 5GF.4774
The Holland – Thompson Property is significant architecturally between 1886 and 1939 as an excellent example of a Queen Anne style main house and Late Victorian carriage house. The brick house features the complex geometry, hipped roof with lower cross gables, asymmetrical façade, wraparound porch, dormers, turned spindles, bargeboard, and fields of decorative shingles that characterize the Queen Anne style. The house was expanded to accommodate an extended family by 1910. Character-defining features of the Late Victorian style found on the carriage house include a brick exterior, segmental arch window and door openings, half-hexagon roof dormers, and decorative wood shingles.
Missouri Heights School
County Rd. 102, Carbondale vicinity
State Register 8/11/1999, National Register 9/23/1999, 5GF.2735
Constructed in 1917, the school remained in operation into the 1956 school year. The facility also served as a community center. Located in a still rural setting, the collection of simple wood frame buildings survives as a rare multi-component reminder of rural school education. In addition to the schoolhouse, a teacherage, coal shed, and two outhouses are on the site. Since 1963, the property has been owned by the Missouri Heights Community League, a non-profit group of area ranchers and residents. Listed under Rural School Buildings in Colorado Multiple Property Submission.
County Rd. 106
National Register 2/4/1985, 5GF.1282
Completed in 1900 by the Pueblo Bridge Company, the bridge is representative of the transition from the Howe to the Pratt truss for use as vehicular bridges. It features a pin-connected, six-panel timber Pratt through truss. Listed under Highway Bridges in Colorado Multiple Property Submission.
Canyon Creek Schoolhouse
Rd. 137, Glenwood Springs vicinity
National Register 1/6/2004, 5GF.372
Constructed in 1907, this one-room schoolhouse just west of Glenwood Springs is typical of rural educational facilities with its gabled roof, bell tower, narrow windows, and cloakroom. The property also retains the boys’ and girls’ privies and original playground equipment. Located in its original creek-side setting, the school conveys its rural roots as a schoolhouse while now serving as the center of community life. Listed under the Rural School Buildings in Colorado Multiple Property Submission.
Cardiff Coke Ovens
South of Glenwood Springs
National Register 11/15/1996, 5GF.461
The circa 1888 Cardiff Coke Ovens are associated with the industrial history of the Lower Roaring Fork Valley. The ovens processed coal into coke for use by area smelters, the Grand Junction sugar beet factory, and the Pueblo steel mills of the Colorado Fuel and Iron Company. The presence of an unusual venting system in three of the ovens may provide clues to the functioning of a subsurface coal ignition system. (1988 photograph.)
Citizen’s National Bank Building
801 Grand Ave.
National Register 7/15/1999, 5GF.1022
Constructed in 1913, the building played an important role in the commercial history of downtown Glenwood Springs. Located on a prominent downtown corner, the large three-story, Classical Revival style building, of tan brick with extensive terra cotta trim, was designed by architect Guy B. Robertson. The first floor housed retail banking offices and other retail operations. Professional offices occupied the second floor, and well-appointed apartments were on the third.
6471 County Rd. 117, Glenwood Springs vicinity
National Register 4/1/1998, 5GF.2477
A well-preserved log bungalow and a large balloon frame barn are among ranch structures constructed between 1919 and 1926 by members of the Earnest family that remain on the property. In spite of development in the surrounding area, the ranch’s setting remains largely intact, and the property is able to convey its significance as a pre-World War II agricultural landscape.
Glenwood Springs Hydroelectric Plant
601 6th St.
State Register 9/9/1998, National Register 10/14/1998, 5GF.2441
Constructed in 1888, the privately owned power plant functioned as an important component of Glenwood Springs’ infrastructure. It was purchased by the city in 1947 and remained in service until 1961. The plant is one of only a few surviving Colorado buildings associated with the early use of hydroelectric power. It currently houses the Glenwood Center for the Arts.
526 Pine Ave.
National Register 5/26/1977, 5GF.767
The 1892 four-story U-shaped building of brick and stone surrounds a large courtyard. It is an important example of an early western Colorado resort hotel. For a time during World War II, the hotel served as a U.S. Navy hospital.
115 5th St.
State Register 8/11/1993, 5GF.1654
Built in 1912, this gambrel roof concrete block house is important for its long-term association with residents who made significant contributions to the community’s development.
South Cañon Bridge
County Rd. 134
National Register 2/4/1985, 5GF.384
In 1914, the Missouri Valley Bridge and Iron Company secured the contract to construct a bridge across the Colorado River west of Glenwood Springs in order to replace the existing ferry service. Completed in 1915, the bridge’s pin-connected, ten-panel steel Pennsylvania through truss was considered unusual for vehicular bridge use. Listed under Highway Bridges in Colorado Multiple Property Submission.
901 Palmer Ave.
National Register 6/20/1986, 5GF.285
The Queen Anne style 2½-story, wood frame residence includes a large wraparound porch and a complex roof line. Edward Starr purchased the six lots on which it was built in 1900, and construction of this prominent dwelling was completed in 1901. The building exhibits a high degree of craftsmanship, and much of its interior detailing remains in place.
The 1935 Sumers Lodge is a well-preserved example of a Rustic style, log kit house designed by Chilson Aldrich. Constructed for the family of wealthy New York financier George Sumers, its size and the quality of materials and workmanship exhibited are indicative of the lifestyle enjoyed by those then able to afford such vacation retreats.
Edward T. Taylor House
903 Bennett Ave.
National Register 10/14/1986, 5GF.286
Built in 1904, the two-story wood frame house, with its Colonial Revival style front porch, is a variation of the Foursquare residential building type. The residence was built for Edward Thomas Taylor whose political career had a profound effect on the conservation of water and land resources in both Colorado and the western United States. As a US Representative he was responsible for the passage of the Taylor Grazing Act of 1934.
716 Cooper Ave.
National Register 3/15/2016, 5GF.1042
The Western Hotel provided area residents, visitors, and guests with accommodations as a restaurant, saloon, soda bottling shop, grocery store and rooming house before operating as a working-class hotel. It operated as the Western Hotel beginning around 1925. Although the building dates to ca. 1887 with a restaurant occupying the one-story building, it was only in business for four years, the building was then vacant for at least eight years, reopening periodically, finally reopening as a saloon circa 1907, it continued as a commercial business thereafter. More information (PDF, 2MB)
259 Cardinal Way
National Register 8/5/2010, 5GF.4249
The Wasson-McKay Place is significant as representing good examples of Pioneer Log and modest Late Victorian architecture. The circa-1900 Pioneer Log icehouse/cabin with whole log walls and hog trough construction exemplifies typical construction techniques of outbuildings and early settlers’ cabins in the area. The 1902 sandstone house displays the prominent features of a Late Victorian style house in its steeply pitched jerkinhead roof, gabled projections with decorative cut shingles, segmental arched windows, and gabled dormer. In 1909 the owner built an ornamental concrete block addition on the south side providing space for a bathroom, larger kitchen, and pantry. The period of significance begins in 1900 with the approximate date of construction of the icehouse/cabin and ends in 1909 with the completion of the ornamental concrete block addition to the sandstone house.
Havemeyer-Willcox Canal Pumphouse
National Register 4/22/1980, 5GF.654
Remaining on the site are a concrete pumphouse and forebay, along with supporting structures such as a cistern and concrete support blocks for conduits. The pumphouse is associated with the Havemeyer-Willcox canal system which began as early as 1902 when the Hallett Ditch was promoted by William Willcox. Through marriage in 1904, he joined forces with the Havemeyer family of New York City. The Havemeyer firm incorporated in Colorado in 1909 and pursued its interest in the production of sugar beets.
Off I-70 approach, one mile south of Rifle
National Register 2/4/1985, 5GF.457
The bridge includes two different types of spans, the Pennsylvania and the Parker. Charles G. Sheely completed this pin-connected, steel twelve-panel Pennsylvania and ten-panel Parker through truss in 1909. The Pennsylvania truss is one of the longest of the pinned trusses in Colorado. The bridge now functions as a pedestrian crossing. Listed under Highway Bridges in Colorado Multiple Property Submission. (1994 photograph.)
Rifle Post Office
Railroad Ave. & 4th St.
National Register 1/24/1986, 5GF.281
John Herbert Nunns House
311 N. 7th St.
National Register 12/3/2013, 5GF.4864
This 1908 Hipped Roof Box form house is one of only a few examples in Silt and the only one with a large decorative cupola, much larger than the typical cupola. John Herbert Nunns, a local builder, constructed this house for his family and later built other homes and buildings in the town. Today the house continues to serve as a single family residence. More information (PDF, 1 MB).