Jesse and Eliza Wright came from Winterset, Iowa in 1886 and settled near Lamar in Prowers County. The current farm was purchased in 1897 and was 360 acres. It was deeded to their daughter Nellie and husband Smiley Irwin a year later, who in turn deeded the acreage north of the Amity Canal to son and wife George and Katherine in 1945 while the land south of the canal was later sold. Upon the death of George the land was deeded to children Jo Ann, Richard and Glenda. Glenda now owns and keeps up the farm with husband Dale McWilson and leases the land to keep it productive. The farm provided a living for the family as corn, wheat and hay were grown and harvested. Milking the cows, gathering eggs and tending to the sheep were chores that were part of living on the farm. All of the children attended the nearby Alta Vista School. Of course, the open pasture and dirt driveway provided a good place for learning how to drive both the tractor, and the Model A car as well. Five acres of the south farm have been purchased back by family members. Here the original house stands and has been upgraded – it now has an indoor bathroom.