Macedonia Baptist Church
3240 Adams St.
National Register 4/6/2015, 5DV.11696
The historic African-American congregation of the Macedonia Baptist Church has been housed at this location since 1963. The buildings are locally significant in the areas of Ethnic Heritage: Black and Social History for the church’s association with and role in Denver’s civil rights struggle between 1963, date of the move of the congregation to this location, and 1965, in accordance with National Register guidance. Among other civil rights luminaries over the course of the church’s history, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. spoke at this location in January 1964. The church and its educational annex are further locally significant in the area of Architecture for 1954, the year of their construction for a different congregation, as a fine example with excellent integrity of mid-century Modernism (Modern Movement) as applied to religious buildings designed by two Denver Modernist architects, Harlan E. Rathbun (education annex) and Ralph D. Peterson (church). The buildings feature abstract and figurative art glass, original mid-century materials, prominent use of brick with clerestory and steel-frame fenestration, and a horizontality grounding them in the landscape. More information (PDF, 2.28 MB).
Notch Mountain Shelter
White River National Forest, Minturn vicinity
National Register 3/10/2015, 5EA.906
The 1933 Notch Mountain Shelter is an important example of Roosevelt's New Deal program with the Civilian Conservation Corps and the Forest Service constructing the building as part of the campaign of natural resource enhancement undertaken by the Forest Service during the New Deal era. For social history it is important as part of the development of a National Monument and related to nationwide pilgrimages and for conservation for its representation of the expansion of the Forest Service's mission from basic custodianship to extensive resource management including the development of buildings and infrastructure to support the human uses of National Forest lands. Additionally it is important for politics and government for its relation to the Federal response to the socio-economic impacts of the Great Depression. It is architecturally significant for its WPA Rustic style architecture designed to reflect practicality, efficiency, and sensitivity to nature and the surroundings. More information (PDF, 4.59 MB)
Tigiwon Community House
White River National Forest, Minturn vicinity
National Register 3/10/2015, 5EA.795
The 1934 Tigiwon Community House is an important example of Franklin D. Roosevelt's New Deal program with the Civilian Conservation Corps and the Forest Service constructing the building as part of the campaign of natural resource enhancement undertaken by the Forest Service during the New Deal era. For social history it is important as part of the development of a National Monument and related to nationwide pilgrimages and for conservation for its representation of the expansion of the Forest Service's mission from basic custodianship to extensive resource management including the development of buildings and infrastructure to support the human uses of National Forest lands. Additionally it is important for politics and government for its relation to the Federal response to the socio-economic impacts of the Great Depression. It is architecturally significant for its Rustic style architecture designed to reflect practicality, efficiency, and sensitivity to nature and the surroundings. More information (PDF, 2.55 MB)
Upper Brush Creek School
State Register 9/25/2014, 5EA.1235
The Upper Brush Creek School provided education to children in the Upper Brush Creek area between the years of 1915 and 1941. It is a good example of the Late 19th and Early 20th Century American Movements architectural style with its gable roof, overhanging eaves, and large covered porch. The building is a good example of a rural one-room schoolhouse and meets the registration requirements of the Schoolhouse Property Type as defined in the Multiple Property Documentation Form (MPDF) Rural School Buildings in Colorado. (2014 photograph.)
District No. 17 - Medlen School
National Register 4/14/2015, Stage Register 3/8/1995, 5JF.956
The 1886 District No. 17 - Medlen School began in as a Pioneer Log building. Around 1900 the school district moved it across the road, added clapboard siding over the logs and a small anteroom. Additionally, the district constructed a small teacherage beside the school. The complex served as the educational and social focal point for the Medlen community until school consolidation forced its closure in 1954. Today it continues to host special events including a children’s summer school program. The property meets the registration requirements of the Schoolhouse Property Type as defined in the Multiple Property Documentation Form (MPDF) Rural School Buildings in Colorado.
Red Rocks Park / Mt. Morrison Civilian Conservation Corps Camp (courtesy review)
16351 County Rd. 93
National Register 5/18/1990, National Historic Landmark 7/21/2015, 5JF.442
These resources were previously listed in the National Register on May 18, 1990 under the Multiple Property Documentation Form Denver Mountain Parks. The historic district is nationally significant under the themes Developing the American Economy, in the area of governmental policies and practices, and Expressing Cultural Values in the areas of architecture and landscape architecture. The architect and builders are outlined as Burnham Hoyt, Stanley Morse, the Civilian Conservation Corps, National Park Service, Works Progress Administration, and U. S. Department of the Army. The period of significance is identified as 1935-1959 as a stellar district example of federal and local government collaborative planning, carried out with the manpower of the CCC, that developed public landscapes and advanced outdoor recreation during the mid-1930s. The nearly intact CCC camp is an outstanding example made all the more significant due to the inherent fragility of CCC camp buildings. The 1935-6 camp retains fourteen of the original fifteen camp buildings. The park is considered the “jewel” of the Denver Mountain Parks system, originally purchased in 1928, with amphitheater construction from 1936 to 1941. More information (PDF, 716.6 kb).
Downtown Loveland Historic District
Roughly bordered by Railroad and Jefferson Avenues, and the alleys between 3rd and 4th Streets and 4th and 5th Streets
National Register 6/1/2015, 5LR.9700
The Downtown Loveland Historic District is the city’s commercial center that began in 1877. Loveland developed initially as a railroad town, but soon also became a major agricultural center and a regional center of commerce and government. Strategically located in the Big Thompson River Valley, Loveland was established as a key stopping point on the Colorado and Central Railroad line which ran between Golden, Colorado to the south and the Union Pacific Railroad main line at Cheyenne, Wyoming to the north. Loveland was named in honor of Colorado and Central’s president, William A. H. Loveland. The rail line became part of the Colorado and Southern Railway in 1898, and it continued as a key facet of Loveland’s socioeconomic development throughout most of the twentieth century. More information (PDF, 1.47 MB).
Las Animas County
Monument Lake Park Building and Hatchery Complex
Colorado Highway 12, Weston vicinity
National Register 11/24/2014, 5LA.12777
Monument Lake Park Building and Hatchery Complex was constructed by the Works Progress Administration (WPA), the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) and the Izaak Walton League of America (IWLA) and is significant for its association with social programs the WPA and CCC provided under the New Deal legislation, the conservation of its aquaculture, entertainment and recreation it offered to visitors in its zoo and other accommodations. Additionally the complex is architecturally important for its Pueblo Revival and WPA Rustic style cabins and buildings and its potential to yield information important to understanding to the complex, its visitors and builders.
In 1931 IWLA began transporting 750,000 brook, rainbow, and black spotted trout fingerlings from state and federal hatcheries to Monument Lake. In 1934 IWLA built the hatchery building and by 1936, it raised over one million fish per year. The complex became a popular tourist destination for its fishing and a zoo made from rock wall enclosures built by the WPA to house black bear, elk, deer, coyote, bison, turkeys and pheasants. Although the hatchery and zoo are no longer operational, visitors continue to stay at the original cabins or lodge and enjoy the outdoors and fishing in Monument Lake. Monument Lake Park Building and Hatchery Complex’s lodge, community house, cabins, zoo and fish hatchery enhanced the recreational opportunities available to residents of Las Animas County and beyond.
South Park City Museum
100 4th St., Fairplay
National Register 11/5/2014, 5PA.394
The South Park City Museum is an intact mid-twentieth century outdoor museum interpreting a frontier mining community, significant for its association with Park County tourism, the Rush to the Rockies gold-discovery centennial celebration of 1958, and early historic preservation efforts in Park County. During Colorado’s Gold Rush mining towns were scattered across Park County, but by mid-twentieth century these ghost towns were rapidly disappearing, victims of vandalism, fire, and the natural elements. Leon Snyder (1892-1973), a Colorado Springs lawyer, worked with local residents to preserve Park County’s mining heritage by creating an outdoor museum. The goal was to create an authentic replica of a nineteenth century Colorado mining town, using historic buildings from Park County. Although moving historic buildings is discouraged by today’s standards, the Museum represents earlier efforts to preserve these frontier-era resources. More information (PDF, 2.47 MB).
Conrad Borgens House
415 13th St., Greeley
National Register 6/25/15, 5WL.6512
The 1920 Conrad Borgens House is architecturally significant as a good example of a Craftsman style residence. Builder and carpenter Conrad Borgens designed and built this house for his family and included Craftsman character-defining features including wood-shingle siding, lap siding, a full-width front porch with massive battered piers, exposed rafter ends, broadly overhanging eaves, multi-light-over-one wood frame sash windows, and gabled dormers with wood shingle siding. He carried the Craftsman style to the interior with various built-in cabinets, cupboards and decorative wood features. The house remains in the Borgens family.