American Legion Hall
Kiowa County Fairground, US Hwy. 287, Eads vicinity
National Register 12/11/2007, 5KW.87
The American Legion Hall represents the success of local residents and federal relief programs administered on Colorado’s eastern plains during the Great Depression of the 1930s. Providing much-needed employment in Kiowa County, local workers constructed the building between 1937 and 1938 under the Works Progress Administration (WPA). The hall is a rare surviving example of a simple, vernacular building built by the New Deal agency. The building exemplifies the efforts of the WPA to boost moral during the Depression through the construction of buildings that could be enjoyed by the entire community. The building provides a venue for community gatherings, dances, receptions, and other events, and is part of the entertainment and recreational activities during the annual Kiowa County Fair. (2006 photograph.) More information.
909 Maine St.
National Register 8/20/2013, 5KW.196
The 1952 Crow-Hightower House is significant architecturally for its representation of a circular plan Modern Movement/Novelty style dwelling. The style is reflected in the house’s circular plan, conical entrance turret, roof crenellations, contrasting blond and red brick, and innovative interior layout. The house is a relatively rare example of the round form employed in a mid-twentieth century dwelling.
Eads Community Church
110 E. 11th St.
National Register 8/20/2013, 5KW.170
Eads Community Church is significant architecturally as a good example of a Jacobean Revival-style ecclesiastical building reflecting the design efforts of two well-regarded architects (William Stickney of Pueblo, 1923, and John James Wallace of Colorado Springs, 1951). The church is also significant in the area of Social History as a building integral to the social life of Eads.
Eads School Gymnasium
W. 10th St. & Slater St.
National Register 8/20/2013, 5KW.168
The 1929 Eads School Gymnasium is significant in the areas of entertainment/recreation, education, and social history. The building housed physical education classes and school athletic teams, and also accommodated domestic science, music, and drama. The gymnasium provided a venue for a wide variety of community social and civic activities through 1963, the year the high school was constructed. More information
W. Lowell Ave. & S. Slater St., Eads vicinity
State Register 5/23/2013, 5KW.184
The circa-1915-1920 Jackson Barn is significant architecturally as a well-preserved example of an early twentieth century, three-bay, balloon frame horse barn. The barn is “modest, unassuming, and unpretentious”, making use of common regional forms and materials. It features a simple square design with gabled roof, walls with drop siding, sliding vertical board doors on the gable ends, a hay loft door, and pigeon holes. Although such barns were commonly found in Kiowa County during the early twentieth century, they are rare today. In 1937, the barn was moved to its current location for use in the Jackson Dairy operation that provided milk for Eads families.
State Register 5/14/1997, 5KW.56
This 1912 building, a local commercial center and gathering place, reflects the common practice of the repeated modernization of commercial buildings. A Depression-era remodeling stuccoed the original ornamental concrete block exterior walls. A 1950s facelift covered the stucco with an artificial stone cladding, a popular and durable mid-century material. (1999 photograph.)
Sand Creek Massacre Site (Sand Creek Massacre National Historic Site)
Near junction of County. Rd. 54 and County Rd. W, Eads vicinity
National Register 9/28/2001, Boundary increase 9/19/2016, 5KW.28
The Sand Creek Massacre Site (boundary increase) formally recognizes an additional 640-acre section contiguous to land managed as the Sand Creek Massacre National Historic Site acquired by the National Park Service with the assistance of the State Historical Fund and Civil War Trust. The section is included in the authorized boundary as defined by Congress in 2000. The parcel contributes integrally to the national significance of the Sand Creek Massacre Site in the areas of Military and Ethnic Heritage: Native American. The boundary increase was processed in consultation and with the support of our Tribal partners.
The site is nationally significant for its association with the November 29, 1864, Sand Creek Massacre. This event represents a major turning point in American Indian-white relations on the western frontier during the last half of the nineteenth century. It had devastating effects upon Cheyenne and Arapaho familial and social structures and was a catalyst for years of ensuing U.S. Army-American Indian warfare throughout the central plains. The site has yielded important information supporting, in broad terms, oral tradition and historical documentation, and it is likely to yield new information regarding U.S. military and American Indian conflicts. The Sand Creek Massacre National Historic Site officially opened to the public on June 1, 2007. To visit the site and learn more visit the National Park service web site. (1994 photograph)
211 Main St.
State Register 12/11/1996, 5KW.50
Constructed in 1921, this small, 14 by 16 foot, concrete jail is one of the few public buildings ever constructed in Haswell. Not in use since the 1940s, the unaltered building remains as a visible local landmark. (1995 photograph.)
Haswell Missouri Pacific Railroad Depot
4th St. near Spencer Ave.
State Register 5/23/2013, 5KW.200
The circa-1950 Haswell Missouri Pacific Railroad depot, a combination passenger and freight facility, is significant architecturally. The Late 19th and Early 20th Century American Movements style building features horizontality, widely overhanging eaves, a low-pitched roof, and multi-light windows. It meets the description provided in Railroads in Colorado, 1858-1948 of a typical depot and the only known depot remaining from the Missouri Pacific line in Colorado.
Holly Hotel / Haswell Hotel
200 4th St.
National Register 8/20/2013, 5KW.33
Built by Acquilla Hollingsworth in 1907, the Holly Hotel/Haswell Hotel is significant in the areas of commerce and social history. The hotel was one of the first business buildings erected in Haswell, operating as a hostelry for about sixty years. The hotel served from its inception as a center of social activities for the town. The Hollingsworth family was among the most prominent early pioneers of Haswell and built the hotel.
Sheridan Lake School
619 Burnett St.
State Register 5/23/2013, 5KW.46
The Sheridan Lake School is significant in the areas of education and social history. The school, which operated from 1929 to 1962, is the only extant historic school building in this small town. The building represents the importance of education in the lives of rural families who at great personal cost erected this professionally designed Renaissance Revival style school. The school also served as a center of social, cultural, recreational, and civic activities for the community.