Settled in 1908 located in Parlin/Gunnison County.
John Jay McLain was a teamster in the late 1800’s when he and his wife Olive Colter moved to Cripple Creek. While he was there he mined and saved money towards his dream of ranching. Life was tough in Cripple Creek so they moved to Ohio City in the early 1900’s. John was superintendent of the Raymond mine and in his free time he panned gold out of the creek. This paid off as in 1908 he was able to finally put a down payment on his dream ranch near Parlin in Gunnison County. He and Olive raised oats, potatoes, horses, chickens, hogs, sheep, cattle – and five children; Floyd, Earl, Erma, Jack and Roy. In 1952 Jack and Louise McLain took over the ranch and raised their three children; Carl, Nancy and David. While working on the ranch David married Ladonna. They remained on the ranch and raised their three children. David purchased the ranch in 1988 and continues the cattle operation along with grass pasture and hay. With lots of grandchildren the McLain Ranch looks to have a bright future in the next century.