9812 Colo. Hwy. 90
State Register 3/10/1993, 5MN.1409
Constructed in 1882, the Bedrock Store played an important role in the commercial history of the Paradox Valley. In the 1800s, it served the local ranching community as a general merchandise store and U.S. Post Office. As the only store within thirty miles, during the 1900s it also served those associated with local mining. The first floor walls are of uncoursed native stone, and the upper floor is faced with wood. A somewhat elaborate peaked cornice tops the façade. (1992 photograph.)
Dolores River Bridge
Colo. Hwy. 90, Bedrock vicinity
National Register 10/15/2002, 5MN.4955
Crossing the Dolores River in a remote location just east of Bedrock, the 1952 steel rigid connected Pennsylvania through truss structure’s single span runs for 129 feet. The bridge was designed by the Colorado Department of Highways, fabricated by Midwest Steel & Iron Works, and built by Gardner Construction Company. Never commonly used in Colorado, Pennsylvania trusses represented a refinement of the standard Pratt truss, both of which were pioneered by the railroads and later constructed to carry vehicular traffic. In essentially unaltered condition, it is a rare Colorado example of its type. Listed under Highway Bridges in Colorado Multiple Property Submission. (1998 photograph.)
Denver & Rio Grande Narrow Gauge Trestle
Northeast of Cimarron
National Register 6/18/1976, 5MN.1839
Bridge No. 239 formerly consisted of four spans on the Denver and Rio Grande narrow gauge line through the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. Only the relocated, decked Pratt truss span survives. The bridge, constructed around 1881, was one of four necessary to allow trains to traverse the canyon from Gunnison to Cimarron. Listed under Railroads in Colorado, 1858-1948 Multiple Property Submission.
Denver & Rio Grande Railroad Box Outfit Car No. 04414
82800Q 83rd Rd., Cimarron Visitor Center, Curecanti National Recreation Center (CURE)
National Register 7/23/2009, 5MN.9167
Denver & Rio Grande Railroad (D&RG) Maintenance of Way (MOW) Box Outfit Car No. 04414 is listed in the National Register of Historic Places at the State level of significance under Criterion C the area of Engineering as an excellent intact example of a once common narrow-gauge MOW railroad car. MOW operations required a collection of equipment that was unique in design and could meet specific needs, for example, ditchers, weed burners, water cars, speeders, snow plows, and modified freight cars which provided work crews with office space, storage for tools, and a place to sleep. In 1914 the D&RG modified the former boxcar to serve as part of work trains used to maintain the rail line and associated structures. During its MOW career, Box Outfit Car No. 04414 served as a kitchen, enginemen’s diner, and sleeper car. (2008 photograph.) More information (PDF, 870.1 kb).
Denver & Rio Grande Western Boxcar No. 3132
Curecanti National Recreation Area
National Register 9/2/2009, 5MN.9098
Associated with the freight train operations of the Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad Boxcar No. 3132 played a significant role in helping to develop the great oil and gas fields of the Paradox and San Juan basins of western Colorado and northwestern New Mexico in the decades following World War II. Boxcar No. 3132 is historically significant in that it was one of only seven known D&RGW 3000-series narrow-gauge gauge boxcars to serve part of its career carrying silica sand, an important additive used in the production of the oil and gas from the emerging fields in Colorado and New Mexico in the 1950s. Boxcar No. 3132 is also an excellent example of the 3000-series freight boxcars that served as the backbone of the railroad’s efforts to modernize its narrow-gauge operations. This car illustrated the methods of construction used in building wooden narrow-gauge freight cars of the period. The conversion of the car in 1925 reflects the railroad’s efforts to modernize their cars and was rebuilt by D&RGW shop workers in Alamosa, Colorado. The boxcar operated over the railroad’s narrow-gauge system for over forty years, until stricken from the rolls in 1970. (2008 photograph.) More information (PDF, 1.05 MB).
Denver & Rio Grande Western Caboose No. 0577
Curecanti National Recreation Area
National Register 4/21/2009, 5MN.9099
Built in 1886, Denver & Rio Grande Western Caboose No. 0577 reflects caboose design and construction to meet the D&RG’s expanding needs. The car continued in service until its retirement in December 1952. Caboose cars served as mobile offices in support of railroad operations and as homes-away-from-home for train crews by providing them with cooking and sleeping accommodations. Modifications by the crews to reflect their individual tastes and preferences resulted in no two caboose cars ever being exactly alike. (2008 photograph.) More information (PDF, 1.37 MB).
Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad Locomotive No. 278 & Tender
Curecanti National Recreation Area
National Register 4/21/2009, 5MN.9097
The 1882 Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad Locomotive No. 278 and its Tender represent one type of early motive power reflecting the evolution of the railroad’s growth. As the fortunes of the railroad improved, expanded operations in the mountainous area of western Colorado required heavier and more powerful locomotives. No. 278 is an excellent example of 2-8-0 consolidation locomotive that came into service. The locomotive ran on the line until 1953. Locomotive No. 278 is also representative of the type and method of construction of narrow gauge locomotives built by the Baldwin Locomotive Works for use by the D&RG. No. 278 is an excellent and rare example of only three surviving C-16 class narrow gauge locomotives of the D&RG. (2008 photograph.) More information (PDF, 1.58 MB).
Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad Stock Car No. 5620
Curecanti National Recreation Area
National Register 1/27/2010, 5MN.9170
The Denver & Rio Grande Western (D&RGW) Railroad Stock Car No. 5620 is important for its role in agriculture, particularly ranching. The raising of livestock, especially sheep, was an important activity in Colorado and the American West. The railroad moved livestock between summer and winter pastures, a seasonal operation typical of high-country ranching, and also delivered livestock to market. Livestock operations took place in various locations around the state, in particular the southern San Luis Valley and the Gunnison area, including Cimarron-Curecanti. In addition to transporting local stock, the D&RGW served as a link for cattle moving through Colorado to eastern markets. Increasing use of trucks and the need to transfer livestock from narrow-gauge cars to standard-gauge for travel beyond the D&RGW’s shrinking narrow-gauge system led to a gradual decline in the use of narrow-gauge stockcars. Built by American Car and Foundry in 1904 as part of a series of 350 cars, the wood cars were specifically designed to ship cattle or sheep. The all-wood construction typifies early twentieth-century rail car construction. (2008 photograph.)
Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad Stock Car No. 5679D
Curecanti National Recreation Area
National Register 1/27/2010, 5MN.9171
The Denver & Rio Grande Western (D&RGW) Railroad Stock Car No. 5679D served an important role in agriculture, particularly ranching. The raising of livestock, especially sheep, was an important activity in Colorado and the American West. The railroad moved livestock between summer and winter pastures, a seasonal operation typical of high country ranching, and also delivered livestock to market. Livestock operations took place in various locations around the state, in particular the southern San Luis Valley and in the Gunnison area, including Cimarron-Curecanti. In addition to transporting local stock, the D&RGW served as a link for cattle moving through Colorado to eastern markets. Increasing use of trucks and the need to transfer livestock from narrow-gauge cars to standard-gauge for travel beyond the D&RGW’s shrinking narrow-gauge system led to a gradual decline in the use of narrow-gauge stockcars. Stock Car 5679D is also significant as an example of a once common rail car type in operation in livestock producing areas of the railroad’s narrow-gauge system. Built by American Car and Foundry in 1904 as part of a series of 350 cars, the wood cars were specifically designed to ship cattle or sheep. The all-wood construction typifies early twentieth-century rail car construction. The horizontal-slat sides with large openings between boards provide air, light, and an outside view for the car’s occupants. The D&RGW modified the car for short livestock, such as sheep or hogs, by dividing the interior horizontally with a second floor, thus doubling the capacity of the interior. (2008 photograph.)
Rio Grande & Southern Derrick Car
Curecanti National Recreation Area
National Register 5/10/2010, 5MN.9169
The Rio Grande Southern Railroad Derrick Car is a rare surviving example of one type of maintenance of way car constructed for use on a narrow-gauge railroad. Derrick cars of this size assisted in the construction of small bridges and moving rail ties and track. It was particularly useful in the clearing the railroad’s right of way following rock slides and wash-outs, both common hazards of the mountainous Colorado terrain. Constructed in 1948 by Fairmount Motors, a leading supplier of railroad maintenance vehicles, this car was one of only three W60 Series A Derrick Cars constructed specifically for narrow-gauge lines and is the only one known to be extant.
North Rim Road
Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park, Crawford vicinity
National Register 9/6/2005, 5MN.3522
Constructed over a period of several years (1934-1938), the five-mile road typifies National Park Service landscape design projects undertaken during the Great Depression. Taking advantage of a variety of New Deal programs such as the Public Works Administration and Emergency Conservation Work for funding, Civilian Conservation Corps workers constructed the road, stone retaining walls and culverts, and overlooks at some of the more prominent scenic vistas in the park, applying National Park Service naturalistic design principles. (2002 photograph.) More information (PDF, 543 kb).
Benevolent & Protective Order of Elks Lodge
107 S. Cascade Ave.
State Register 3/10/2004, National Register 4/6/2004, 5MN.5045
Elements of various styles are represented to varying degrees in the 1927 Benevolent & Protective Order of Elks Lodge on the building, including Mission Revival, Pueblo Deco, Gothic Revival, and even Classical Revival and Craftsman. Designed by locally known architect J.H. Antrobus, the building exhibits the eclectic elements typical of his design and seen on the nearby City Hall building. In addition to serving as the meeting place for the Elks for over forty years, the building was a center for community activities, hosting dinners, graduation ceremonies, and fundraising events. The bowling alley in the basement, no longer extant, provided entertainment to Lodge members. (2003 photograph.)
Denver & Rio Grande Depot (Montrose County Historical Museum)
20 N. Rio Grande Ave.
National Register 6/3/1982, 5MN.1661
The Mission Revival style depot provided both passenger and freight services at this important rail junction. The southern branch of the D&RG out of Montrose serviced Ouray and connected with the Rio Grande Southern at Ridgway. The eastern branch extended to Gunnison and Crested Butte. The 1912 building replaced an earlier depot. The property is associated with the Railroads in Colorado, 1858-1948 Multiple Property Submission.
US Hwy. 50, 1/2 mile south of Black Canyon Turnoff
National Register 7/22/1979, 5MN.1837
By 1894, Montrose farmer F.C. Lauzon had generated enough interest so that funds were secured to begin construction of the tunnel which would bring irrigation water from the Gunnison River to the arid farmlands of the Uncompahgre Valley. The bore was completed in July of 1909, and dedication ceremony attended by President William H. Taft were held on September 23, 1909. A major element of the Uncompahgre Reclamation Project, the tunnel is 5.8 miles in length, and at its deepest point runs approximately 2,200 feet beneath the dome of Vernal Mesa. (1966 photograph.)
J.V. Lathrop House
718 Main St.
National Register 7/8/1988, 5MN.3348
Constructed in 1902, the 2½-story wood frame residence is set on a stone foundation. The Queen Anne style is clearly represented in its asymmetrical massing, multi-gable roof, projecting bays, decorative porches, and ornamented gable ends. The dwelling was constructed for the John Virgil Lathrop family. Lathrop came to Montrose in 1890 and operated Lathrop Hardware until 1916. (1902 photograph.)
Methodist Episcopal Church of Montrose
19 S. Park Ave.
State Register 8/11/1999, National Register 11/30/1999, 5MN.4493
Designed by Colorado Springs architect Thomas P. Barber, the large brick building is a good local example of the Romanesque Revival style. Much of the Akron Plan interior remains intact, and a mix of religious and secular stained glass windows are found throughout the building. Construction began in 1909 and was completed in 1920. A compatible 1991 addition, designed by Montrose architect Patrik Davis, is joined to the 1920 building by a narrow connector. (1996 photograph.)
Montrose City Hall
433 S. 1st St.
National Register 6/3/1982, 5MN.1811
The two-story Art Deco style building includes a mix of yellow and red brick in its patterned walls. At the time of its construction in 1926, it was designed to also house the city’s library. (1997 photograph.)
Montrose County Courthouse
320 S. 1st St.
National Register 2/18/1994, 5MN.1813
Constructed in 1922, using locally quarried sandstone, the roof of this three-story Classical Revival building is covered with red tile. Denver architect William Norman Bowman is credited with the design. (1997 photograph.)
Montrose County High School Agricultural Education Building
1045 S. Cascade
State Register 9/10/1997, 5MN.4768
The 1919 building is associated with the development of vocational agricultural education on the Western Slope. This simple wood frame building was constructed for the expressed purpose of housing agricultural education programs. (1997 photograph.)
Montrose Fire Department No. 1 (Montrose City Hall Annex)
24 S. Uncompahgre Ave.
State Register 3/10/2004, 5MN.1812
The 1910 Montrose Fire Department No. 1 is important for its long-standing association with fire protection in the City of Montrose. Serving a critical need at the beginning of the 20th century for Montrose’s quickly expanding population, the building housed the fire department for the next seven decades, offering the community both fire protection and educational assistance. (1999 photograph.)
Montrose Masonic Temple, Lodge No. 63
509-513 E. Main St.
National Register 4/6/2004, 5MN.1682
Designed in the Classical Revival style, the 1911 building is significant for its long association with the social history of the Masons and the City of Montrose. The building, with its monumental Tuscan columns, stone balcony, and shaped parapet, is the only fraternal lodge in the city done in the Classical Revival style. In use as a Masonic Lodge for nearly seven decades, the building was also the center of social activity, hosting a variety of formals, church services, and other social events over the years. The building is topped by a beautiful domed stained glass skylight that illuminates the former Lodge room. (2003 photograph.)
Montrose Post Office
321 S. 1st St.
National Register 1/22/1986, 5MN.1808
Savano Valley Rock Art Site
State Register 8/8/2001, National Register 10/12/2001, 5MN.5
The site contains numerous rock art panels that date from at least 1000 BC through approximately 1881. Rock art research in western Colorado utilized the panels at this site to define rock art traditions and styles and to interpret cultural continuity and change within the region’s prehistory. In addition to being of scientific interest, the panels are important examples of aboriginal artistic expression. (1992 photograph.)
Sherman & Ross Block
232-236 Main St.
National Register 4/11/2003, 5MN.1653
This two-story, two-part commercial building was constructed in 1910 at the center of downtown Montrose. Perhaps Montrose’s best preserved commercial building, it has continuously housed a variety of businesses over the past ninety years. The central entry, flanked by storefronts with recessed entries, remains intact and leads to second-story apartments. (2002 photograph.)
Silesca Ranger Station
Uncompahgre National Forest, Montrose vicinity
National Register 11/24/2004, 5MN.7406
The 1937 Combination Building and Barn building types, known collectively as the Silesca Ranger Station, was part of the unprecedented expansion of the Forest Service in the 1930s. The expansion largely resulted from Depression era New Deal programs, specifically the Civilian Conservation Corps, that provided much of the construction labor for the erection or upgrading of ranger and guard stations within the national forests. The buildings typify Forest Service administrative buildings of the Rocky Mountain Region during the CCC era. The Combination Building is one of only two remaining examples of Forest Service Phase III Rustic style architecture in the Grand Mesa/ Uncompahgre/ Gunnison National Forest. (2004 photograph.) More information (PDF, 493 kb).
Thomas B. Townsend House
222 S. 5th St.
National Register 9/17/1980, 5MN.1838
The 2½ story brick residence was constructed in 1882 by Thomas B. Townsend, an Englishman who moved to the area to pursue investments in mines near Silverton. Townsend was also a co-founder of the Montrose County Bank. The residence includes elements of the Queen Anne style such as an asymmetrical plan, a complex roof line, a projecting bay window, and detailed wood trim. (1996 photograph.)
Uncompahgre Valley Water Users Association Office
601 N. Park Ave.
National Register 11/27/1991, 5MN.2724
Constructed in 1905, the Water Users’ Association has occupied the building since 1932. As such, it is important for its association with one of the first projects undertaken by the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation, the Uncompahgre Reclamation Project. The two-story wood frame building is located in a residential neighborhood and is a good local example of the Foursquare building type. (1906 photograph.)
Ute Memorial Site
US Hwy. 550, two miles south of Montrose
National Register 2/26/1970, 5MN.1841
The site includes approximately thirteen acres of Ute Chief Ouray’s original ranch lands. Chief Ouray played a significant role in attempts to maintain peaceful relations between Washington, D.C. and the Colorado Utes. History Colorado (formerly the Colorado Historical Society) operates a museum facility on the site. (ca. 2000 photograph.)
State Register 9/11/1996, 5MN.519
Occupied as early as 270BC, this large rockshelter is the site of the earliest dated corn found in Colorado. (2001 photograph.)
State Register 9/11/1996, 5MN.868
This rockshelter produced an early tree-ring record. Tabeguache Cave is also associated with Clarence Thomas Hurst, a significant figure in Colorado archaeology, who co-founded the Colorado Archaeological Society and Southwestern Lore. (1941 photograph.)
State Register 9/11/1996, 5MN.1609
A single house ruin, occupied about AD 1100 and then abandoned, Tabeguache Pueblo is a good example of dispersed Pueblo settlement.
Pea Green Community Hall
3015 Colo. Hwy. 348, northwest of Olathe
State Register 3/9/1994, 5MN.4360
Completed in 1927, the one-story front gabled roof building has log walls that have been stuccoed, and there is a full length shed roof addition on the south. The building still served as the center of community life in this agricultural area of northwestern Montrose County. (1997 photograph.)
State Register 9/11/1996, 5MN.915
Occupied from at least 600 BC to AD 1400, the cave yielded a corn cob dating to about AD 1500, a remarkably late date indicating that prior to European contact with the area, some groups continued to grow corn in western Colorado after the Southwestern "Anasazi" fluorescence. (1994 photograph.)
Colo. Hwy. 141, 5.7 miles northwest of Uravan
National Register 5/15/1980, 5MN.1840
The approximately six mile long flume is a three-sided wooden structure attached to the walls of the Dolores and San Miguel Canyons, at a level of 150 to 400 feet above the Dolores and San Miguel Rivers. It was constructed in 1889-1890 to bring water to the Lone Tree Placer mine. Subsequent poor economic conditions resulted in its circa 1900 abandonment. (2003 photograph.)
Tabeguache Cave II
State Register 9/11/1996, 5MN.890
This large and deep rockshelter, occupied as early as AD 600 to perhaps AD 1500, yielded brownware ceramics, provoking questions as to whether the Pueblos abandoned their territory or