County Rd. 327
National Register 2/4/1985, 5PE.300
Completed by the Pueblo Bridge Company in 1913, this vehicular bridge over the Arkansas River was supposed to be a steel structure. The design was changed to a three-span Luten arch when the steel could not be delivered prior to high water in 1913. It is one of the few bridges in Pueblo County that withstood the major flood of 1921. Listed under the Highway Bridges in Colorado Multiple Property Submission.
6916 Broadacre Rd.
National Register 8/16/1984, 5PE.636
The complex consists of five buildings. Benjamin F. Butler, a prominent military figure and attorney from the east, took possession of the ranch in 1882. The predominately adobe main house is a one-story structure with a gable roof and is known to date from the 1880s.
Cave Spring Ranch Barn
6061 3R Rd.
State Register 12/8/1999, 5PE.3105
Constructed about 1903, the post and beam Cave Spring Ranch Barn is an example of a bank barn, a name derived from its construction technique. The barn is built into the side of a hill, allowing direct access on two levels. The barn has recently been stabilized and restored. (1998 photograph.)
Squirrel Creek Recreational Unit
San Isabel National Forest, Beulah vicinity
National Register 3/28/2005, 5PE.5346 / 5CR.492
Located 26 miles southwest of Pueblo in Pueblo and Custer counties, the Squirrel Creek Recreational Unit consists of a four-mile segment of a historic road (now known as Squirrel Creek Trail) that parallels much of Squirrel Creek. The road connects with the other resources in the district, including the Squirrel Creek Campground with its picnic shelter; the Cascade Trail; and the ruins of the Squirrel Creek Lodge. Improvements began in 1919 and the area remained in use until 1947, when a flash flood destroyed much of the road, part of the trail, and portions of the campground. The recreational property is associated with the rapid growth and development of outdoor recreation in the United States following World War I. The district exemplifies the post-war transition of the Forest Service from a focus on timber and watershed management to a new role in public outdoor recreation. Construction began as a result of promotional and financial assistance from the nonprofit local cooperative association, the San Isabel Public Recreation Association. Arthur Carhart, the first full-time landscape architect hired by the USFS, is credited with the application of integrated recreational planning in the National Forests. During his tenure with the Forest Service (from 1919 through 1922), Carhart developed the first forest-wide comprehensive recreational plan that was later used as a model throughout the National Forest system. As the first professionally and comprehensively planned recreation complex in the National Forest system, the Squirrel Creek Recreational Unit is nationally significant. More information (PDF, 216 kb).
Pueblo Mountain Park
S. Pine Dr., 1 mile south of County Rd. 220, vicinity of Beulah
National Register 12/6/1994, 5PE.1663
Begun in 1919, Pueblo Mountain Park is an early municipally owned automobile oriented, mountain park designed to offer Pueblo area residents easily accessible recreational facilities outside the urban environment. Most of the park’s Rustic style picnic, lodging, and sports facilities were constructed during the Great Depression by the Civilian Conservation Corps and the Works Progress Administration. Associated property with the Historic Park Landscapes in National and State Parks Multiple Property Submission. (1993 photograph.)
Boone Santa Fe Railroad Depot (Boone Town Hall)
100 Baker Ave.
State Register 5/14/1997, National Register 6/27/1997, 5PE.2151
Designed to handle both passengers and freight, the Santa Fe Railroad constructed this combination depot in 1913. It is significant for its role as a shipping point for Boone and the surrounding region and as one of the few surviving wood frame Santa Fe depots still at its original location. Associated property with the Railroads in Colorado, 1858-1948 Multiple Property Submission. (1997 photograph.)
US Hwy. 50
National Register 2/4/1985, 5PE.302
Using a design by Robert DuBois, the Pueblo Bridge Company began construction in 1920. Completed in 1921, the segmental, reinforced concrete filled spandrel arch was considered to be a significant crossing of the Santa Fe Trail, now US 50. It is the longest filled spandrel arch for roadway use in Colorado. Listed under Highway Bridges in Colorado Multiple Property Submission.
St. Charles River Bridge (CDOT No. L-19-C)
US Hwy. 50, Devine vicinity
National Register 10/15/2002, 5PE.3980
Crossing the St. Charles River west of Pueblo, the 1945 steel rigid connected Parker through truss structure's single span runs for 150 feet. The bridge was designed by the Colorado Department of Highways, fabricated by Midwest Steel & Iron Works, and built by Frank M. Kenney. Still in use at its original location, it remains intact as a rare surviving example of what was a mainstay structural type utilized for vehicular bridge construction in Colorado. Listed under Highway Bridges in Colorado Multiple Property Submission.
Indian Petroglyphs & Pictographs / Turkey Creek Canyon Rock Art District
Turkey Creek Canyon
National Register 5/3/1976, 5PE.14
Left behind by Native Americans on the face of a vertical rock wall in the canyon formed by Turkey Creek, the panel of art work is about fifty feet in length, with the main strip at chest height. It survives as a valuable link in the history of the region’s settlement.
1906 Court St.
National Register 11/7/1985, 5PE.4205
W. J. Barndollar, a prominent local banker, business-person and politician, commissioned Pueblo architect Patrick P. Mills to design the house in 1889. It is a well-preserved local example of the Queen Anne style. (1984 photograph.)
Baxter House / Bishop’s House
325 W. 15th St.
National Register 2/17/1978, 5PE.497
Built in 1893, Oliver Hazard Perry Baxter’s residence is a rich blend of Late Victorian and Queen Anne architecture. Subsequent owners donated the house to the Catholic Diocese.
Allen J. Beaumont House
425 W. 15th St.
National Register 8/18/1983, 5PE.4201
Built in 1889 for Allen J. Beaumont, a prominent Pueblo attorney, architect A. Morris Stuckert’s design is an eclectic mix of Queen Anne and Richardsonian Romanesque detailing. The one and a half story residence of pink lava stone sits on a hill overlooking the city.
Dr. John A. Black House Complex
102 W. Pitkin Ave.
National Register 11/7/1985, 5PE.4211
Constructed in 1910 for a prominent physician, the home exhibits an unusual application of classical detailing to a Foursquare design. The 2½-story blonde brick dwelling has a two-story rounded portico supported by large Ionic columns dominating its façade. (1985 photograph.)
229 W. 12th St.
National Register 1/9/1978, 5PE.493
James N. Carlile House
44 Carlile Pl.
National Register 2/8/1985, 5PE.4214
Constructed in 1872 as a modest residence, architect Frank West executed an extensive remodeling of the house during 1883-1884, adding porches and elaborate Queen Anne detailing for the developer of this south side neighborhood. The property, prominently located at the end of Carlile Place, shares the street with a number of other important Pueblo residences.
Central High School
431 E. Pitkin Ave.
National Register 11/14/1979, 5PE.502
Built circa 1881 as a high school, after several years it became a grade school. The pink rhyolite "Stone Schoolhouse" remains a visual landmark in Pueblo. (1999 photograph.)
Pueblo Christopher Columbus Monument
Median in the 100 Block of E. Abriendo Ave.
National Register 8/31/2011, 5PE.3162
The Pueblo Christopher Columbus Monument is eligible to National Register of Historic Places in the area of Ethnic Heritage from 1905-61 at the local level of significance. This period of significance begins with the unveiling and commemoration of the monument and ends in 1961 to comply with National Register guidelines. It is a commemorative property that primarily derives its significance from the symbolic value of Christopher Columbus to the Italian-American heritage movement, and as it has become an integral part of that community’s tradition of celebrating Columbus Day. This monument was the first in Colorado to commemorate Christopher Columbus and has been a continual focal point for annual Columbus Day celebrations by the local Italian-American community. In 1907, two years after the Pueblo Christopher Columbus Monument’s dedication, Colorado became the first state to make Columbus Day a statutory holiday. (1994 photograph.) More information (PDF, 5 MB)
Church of the Ascension (Ascension Episcopal Church)
420 W. 18th Street
State Register 3/13/2002, 5PE.4175
Designed by Frank E. Wetherell of the Iowa architectural firm of Wetherell & Gage, the 1914 sandstone trimmed brick building incorporates style elements. The quality and integrity of the building’s interior design and appointments enhance its architectural significance, and the compatible 1941 parish hall addition reflects the evolving needs of the congregation. A 1926 style rectory of stucco and brick is located to the west of the church. (2000 photograph.) More information (PDF, 391 kb).
City Park Carousel
National Register 4/21/1983, 5PE.615
This three-abreast C.W. Parker "Jumping Horse Carry-Us-All", with thirty-six hand carved horses, includes one lover’s tub and one chariot. It was purchased by J.J. McQuillian, owner of the Lake Minnequa Amusement Park, in 1914. During the Depression, the carousel was sold to the city and moved to City Park sometime between 1937 and 1941. (1983 photograph.)
401-411 N. Main St.
National Register 4/17/1992, 5PE.559
William Norman Bowman’s 1925 design for the Southern Colorado Investment Company reflects the influence of the prominent Chicago architect, Louis Sullivan. The Sullivanesque Colorado Building is a distinct departure from the Victorian and Neo-Classical designs so prevalent in the Pueblo business district.
Colorado Fuel & Iron Company Mine Rescue Car No. 1
215 Canal St., Steelworks Museum
State Register 12/9/1998, relocation and additional documentation approved 5/31/2007, 5PE.6218
Built in 1882 as a Wagner Palace Sleeping Car, the Pullman Company modified the rail car in 1910 for the U.S. Bureau of Mines’ program to improve mine safety and rescue operations in Colorado’s coal mines. It is one of only two such cars left in the country. Six were outfitted by the Bureau to serve as educational centers and rapid response rescue stations. Car No. 1 aided at numerous mining disasters before being sold to Colorado Fuel and Iron in 1923. The company used it at safety conventions and as a traveling classroom. Between 2002 and 2007, the Pueblo County Historical Society, using State Historical Fund grants and other funding, restored the car before donating it to Pueblo County for exhibit at the Bessemer Historical Society. The car went on display in 2007 as an interpretive center at the Minnequa Steel Works Office Building and Dispensary. (2007 photograph.) More information (PDF, 431 kb).
Colorado State Fairgrounds
1001 Beulah Avenue
State Register 11/30/2006, 5PE.5983
The fairgrounds have long been a gathering place for the state’s agricultural community and have also served as a vehicle to educate, promote and entertain the public about Colorado agriculture. Since 1901, farmers and stock men and women have come to the annual exposition at this location to display and compare their products, to see and learn about the latest advances in agricultural technology and techniques, and to purchase quality livestock. The 4-H club, a youth organization orientated toward agriculture education, has maintained a steady presence at the fairgrounds since 1918. The complex benefited from a number of Depression-era New Deal work-relief programs. The Federal Emergency Relief Administration and the Works Progress Administration helped fund and provide workers for the construction of six buildings, much of the perimeter walls, the extensive horse stables, and other infrastructure improvements. The fairgrounds also hosted a Civilian Conservation Corps camp. (1996 photograph.) More information (PDF, 2.34 MB).
Colorado State Hospital Superintendent’s House
13th & Francisco
National Register 9/26/1985, 5PE.527.2
Completed circa 1934, the two-story Mediterranean style residence has white stucco walls and a red tile roof. For 28 years it was the home of Dr. Frank Zimmerman, a pioneer in the humane treatment of the mentally ill who also fought for better salaries and facilities. (1995 photograph.)
Doyle Settlement / White House / Casa Blanca
Doyle Rd., 18 miles southeast of US Hwy. 50
National Register 4/10/1980, 5PE.391
Dating from circa 1859, Joseph Doyle’s settlement now lies in ruins. It was a self contained unit including a main residence, dining facility, store, housing for laborers, flour mill, blacksmith shop and granaries.
Nathaniel W. Duke House
1409 Craig St.
National Register 2/8/1985, 5PE.4204
This two-and-a-half-story brick Queen Anne residence was designed in 1889 by Denver architect Fred A. Hale. Its most notable feature, a large oversized three-story tower at the southeast corner of the home, affords one of the finest views of the city and mountains to the west.
900 W. Mesa
National Register 6/19/1985, 5PE.4215
A multi-purpose central building and two single classroom "unit school houses" were constructed in 1909. Two more "units" and a four classroom building were added in 1923. Edison School is noted for its experimental design which incorporated windows located near the ceiling on three sides of the classrooms in an attempt to provide uniform, diffused light and improved ventilation. Dr. R.W. Corwin, originator of the design, served on the local school board for 44 years.
Corner of 1st St. & Union Ave.
National Register 2/16/1996, 5PE.303
El Pueblo, occupied from 1842 to 1854, is important for its association with the exploration and settlement of what became Colorado and the larger Rocky Mountain West; for its association with commerce and trade, both in the local area and as part of a regional trail system; and for its association with the social history of the upper Arkansas River, a multi-ethnic, multi-cultural, and multi-national population. The archaeological site is part of the El Pueblo History Museum, a property of the Colorado Historical Society. (ca. 2000 photograph.)
Over Santa Fe Ave. at S. Elizabeth St.
State Register 2/4/1985, Boundary change 3/13/2002, 5PE.4230
Originally crossing the Purgatoire River in Las Animas County, in 1993, the 150-foot span faced demolition due to its deteriorating condition and low load capacity. Circa 1994, as part of the Colorado Department of Highway’s Adopt-a-Bridge program, the Pueblo Bridge Company’s 1905 pin-connected Pratt through truss structure was dismantled, transported, and subsequently reassembled for use as a pedestrian bridge along the Runyon Commuter Trail in Pueblo. (1994 photograph.)
First Congregational Church
228 W. Evans
National Register 2/8/1985, 5PE.4209
Fred A. Hale is credited as the architect of this 1889 Romanesque style church of random coursed red sandstone. Defining features include a corner entry bell tower and a circular transept with arched windows.
First Methodist Episcopal Church
310 W. 11th St.
National Register 4/16/2012, 5PE.2231
The First United Methodist Church of Pueblo (formerly First Methodist Episcopal) Church is eligible in the area of Architecture from 1924 to 1959 at the local level. In a combination of the Gothic Revival and Tudor Revival styles, architectural highlights include a tower, stained glass, stone tracery, pointed-arch windows, stucco, and false half-timbering. This design is the work of Pueblo architect William Stickney. The interior of the sanctuary, with its highly artistic decorative carvings, contributes to the property’s significance in the area of Art. Finally, the property is locally significant in the area of social history from 1924 to 1962 for its service to Pueblo citizens.
First Methodist Episcopal Church / Trinity Methodist
National Register 11/14/1979, 5PE.503
First Presbyterian Church
220 W. 9th St.
State Register 5/31/2007, 5PE.489
The First Presbyterian Church is an interesting local expression of the Gothic Revival style. Constructed in 1889, noted architect Fred A. Hale designed the unusual building combining two popular Late Victorian styles-Gothic Revival and Richardsonian Romanesque. The steeply pitched roof, prominent spire, and pointed-arched openings create a vertical emphasis and are all defining characteristics of Gothic architecture. At the same time, the building’s straight forward treatment of stone, the select distribution of openings, and the broad roof plane is reminiscent of Richardsonian Romanesque. A Gothic Revival inspired educational wing of red brick expanded the church eastward in 1926. The north side of the addition continued the Manitou sandstone of the original building. (2007 photograph.) More information (PDF, 1.79 MB).
401-11 W. 11th St.
National Register 10/2/1986, 5PE.4199
Constructed in 1902, as a speculative venture by Colonel Michael Fitch, the two-story brick building is Pueblo’s best example of a terrace apartment. Exterior detailing includes stone and brick corbelling and belt courses that emphasize the sense of horizontality.
R.T. Frazier House
2121 N. Elizabeth St.
National Register 6/19/1985, 5PE.4206
Built in 1915, the design for this tapestry brick bungalow may have been derived from the popular style books of the period. Frazier, a prominent saddle maker, spared no expense on his state of the art residence. (1984 photograph.)
501 Colorado Ave.
National Register 6/3/1982, 5PE.611
Completed in 1891 for a prominent Pueblo attorney, the building is a good example of a Late Victorian style residence constructed with high quality materials, both inside and out. (1981 photograph.)
1801 Greenwood St.
National Register 6/3/1982, 5PE.483
Built for Pueblo attorney Charles E. Gast in 1892, the residence is a harmonious mix of Richardsonian Romanesque and Queen Anne elements. Continuity of ownership has left it in unusually good condition.
Colo. Hwy. 96 W. & Siloam Rd., west of Pueblo
National Register 7/30/1974, 5PE.485
The barn is the only remaining structure from the Goodnight Ranch established by Charles Goodnight in 1869. It is constructed of rough cut limestone blocks and has a gable roof.
Hazelhurst / Berkley House
National Register 12/15/1978, 5PE.500
The 1895 residence was built for prominent Pueblo businessman Emanuel Tolle. It is a blend of the Queen Anne and Georgian Revival, the latter reflecting Tolle’s Kentucky origins.
Henkel-Duke Mercantile Company Warehouse
212-222 W. 3rd St.
National Register 5/17/1984, 5PE.580
Constructed in 1893, the four-story brick building is located in downtown Pueblo and functioned as a wholesale grocery warehouse for many years. (1996 photograph.)
Dr. Alexander T. King House & Carriage House
229 Quincy St. & 215 W. Routt Ave.
National Register 4/21/1983, 5PE.616
Built in 1891, the two and one half story, multi-gabled roof, red brick residence and the carriage house are good examples of the Queen Anne style. (1983 photograph.)
415 E. Abriendo Ave.
National Register 1/30/1992, 5PE.4217
The institution bears the name of its primary benefactor, prominent Pueblo businessman, Andrew McClelland. The present Colonial Revival style building was constructed in 1935, and the design incorporates Georgian and Adam elements.
Mechanics Building / Masonic Building
207-211 N. Main St.
National Register 6/16/1983, 5PE.556
Constructed in 1890, architect Francis Cooper’s five story Victorian commercial building has walls of processed brick and Fort Collins red sandstone. The building is an important local landmark in downtown Pueblo. (1981 photograph.)
Minnequa Steel Works Office Building & Dispensary Colorado Fuel & Iron Company
(Steelworks Museum of Industry and Culture)
215 and 225 Canal St.
State Register 8/8/2001, National Register 6/6/2002, 5PE.4179
The Mission Revival style buildings at the Colorado Fuel & Iron Company’s Minnequa Steel Works illustrate the growth of what became the largest single employer in the Pueblo region. They reflect the rapid improvements made to accommodate support services for the steel plant as it grew to become one of the largest iron and steel plants in the United States by 1906. Prominent Denver architect Frederick H. Sterner designed the original 1901 office building and 1902 dispensary. Pueblo architects continued the Mission style, with William Stickney designing the 1921 addition to the office building and Walter DeMordaunt the 1926 addition to the dispensary. The Bessemer Historical Society is working to rehabilitate the historic buildings for use in its interpretive program. (1999 photograph.)
Montgomery Ward Building
225 N. Main St.
National Register 12/24/1996, 5PE.557
The 1936 Montgomery Ward Building is the only Colorado example of the Montgomery Ward Company’s standard Georgian Revival corporate style used for its department stores from 1933 to 1948. The building represents the local manifestation of the firm’s transition from a mail-order business to a retail store chain. (1996 photograph.)
102 W. Orman Ave.
National Register 7/13/1976, 5PE.495
The 1890 Orman-Adams House, designed by prolific Denver architect William Lang, is an excellent example of the Romanesque Revival style. James B. Orman constructed the building and owned it during his term as Governor from 1901 to 1903. It was purchased in 1918 by Alva Adams and his family. Adams served as Colorado’s Governor on three separate occasions. His son, Alva B. Adams, was a United States Senator. (1998 photograph.)
Pitkin Place Historic District
South side of the 300 Block of W. Pitkin
National Register 1/31/1978, 5PE.490
In the early 1890s, the architect-contractor team of George Roe and E.W. Shutt built six of the seven residences within the district. Developed on land owned by the Colorado Fuel and Iron Company as an exclusive subdivision, Pitkin Place is a linear grouping of residential properties exhibiting a high degree of visual continuity. (1996 photograph.)
Frank Pryor House
1325 Greenwood St.
National Register 2/8/1985, 5PE.4203
Designed by prominent Denver architect A. Morris Stuckert, for noted Pueblo businessman Frank Pryor, this 1889 Queen Anne residence reflects the eclectic tastes of the late Victorian period.
Pueblo City Park Zoo
3455 Nuckolls Ave.
National Register 7/28/1995, 5PE.587
The 2½ acre zoo contains an assortment of buildings and structures constructed between 1933 and 1940, utilizing native calcium sandstone quarried 25 miles west of Pueblo. The zoo exemplifies the trend toward exhibiting animals in more natural settings. The Pueblo Zoo was constructed during the Great Depression through the efforts of three New Deal agencies: the Public Works Administration; Civil Works Administration; and the Works Progress Administration. (1998 photograph.)
Pueblo Colored Orphanage & Old Folks Home / Lincoln Home
2713-2715 N. Grand Ave.
State Register 12/10/1997, 5PE.571
Constructed between 1889 and 1904, the two houses were purchased in 1914 to serve as the Lincoln Home. In operation until 1963, Pueblo’s entire black community took an interest in the property’s management. It served as the only known orphanage of its type in Colorado, and the sixteen Federated Colored Women’s Clubs throughout the state supported its operation. (2004 photograph.)
Pueblo County Courthouse
10th & Main
National Register 6/27/1975, 5PE.492
Designed by New York architect Albert Ross, the brick building, faced with white sandstone, includes the Roman Classical elements associated with the Beaux-Arts tradition. Constructed between 1908-1912, it is the third building to serve as the county courthouse, and it is southern Colorado’s largest and most elaborate courthouse. (1996 photograph.)
Pueblo Federal Building / U.S. Post Office
421 N. Main St.
National Register 1/3/1978, 5PE.498
William Aiken, supervising architect for the U.S. Treasury Department, designed the 1897 Pueblo Federal Building along the lines of an Italian Renaissance Palazzo. Aiken designed numerous federal buildings for Washington, DC, and for other cities, including the U.S. Mints in Philadelphia and Denver. (1981 photograph.)
Quaker Flour Mill
102 S. Oneida St.
National Register 9/30/1976, 5PE.496
Over the years, the original four story sandstone building, constructed in 1869 as a four story structure for use as a flour mill, has experienced numerous alterations and additions to accommodate the business needs of subsequent owners.
Ward Rice House
1825 Grand Ave.
National Register 11/7/1985, 5PE.4207
Designed by architect F.W. Cooper, the 1892 house was modified during the early 1900s. The brick and wood shingled residence is a well preserved example of the Queen Anne style.
Rio Grande Freight House (Southern Colorado Heritage Center)
223 & 301 W. B St.
State Register 6/10/1998, 5PE.1519
Constructed in 1924, the red brick building serves as a reminder of the important role played by railroads in the growth and development of Pueblo. The facility handled commercial shipments and provided temporary warehousing for goods in transit. It is Pueblo’s only surviving freight station. (2004 photograph.)
Rood Candy Company Building
408-416 W. 7th St.
National Register 5/17/1984, 5PE.618
The facility is a good local example of an early 20th century manufacturing facility. The main building is a three-story red brick structure characterized by its lack of ornamentation. (ca. 2000 photograph.)
Rosemont / Thatcher Mansion (Rosemont Museum)
419 W. 14th St.
National Register 7/30/1974, 5PE.491
Designed by the New York based architectural firm of Holly and Jelliff, the three-story, rose lava stone over brick, mansion contains thirty-seven rooms and ten fireplaces. Built between 1891 and 1893, it is a good example of Victorian era urban residential architecture. The mansion is open to the public as a museum. (1996 photograph.)
Sacred Heart Cathedral
1025 N. Grand Ave.
National Register 2/21/1989, 5PE.1125
The building is an outstanding example of Gothic Revival architecture. Plans for the church were the work of Denver architects Robert Willison and Montana S. Fallis. The church was dedicated in 1913 and designated as a cathedral in 1942. (1988 photograph.)
Sacred Heart Orphanage
2316 Sprague St.
National Register 3/3/1989, 5PE.569
Captain John J. Lambert, editor and publisher of the Pueblo Daily Chieftain, bought and donated a ten acre site to the Franciscan Sisters for the purpose of establishing an orphanage. The orphanage, Pueblo’s largest, opened in 1903. Large and institutional in overall appearance, this Romanesque Revival building displays superior craftsmanship in its detailing.
St. Charles Bridge (PUCO 0.16-407B)
County Rd. 65
National Register 2/4/1985, 5PE.301
Completed by the Salle Construction Company of Pueblo in 1924, the excavation for its foundations involved the use of a reinforced concrete vault system which was later patented by the contractors. It is one of the longest span, filled arches still in use in Colorado. Associated property with the Highway Bridges in Colorado Multiple Property Submission. (2003 photograph.)
St. John’s Greek Orthodox Church
1000-1010 Spruce St.
National Register 2/28/2002, 5PE.4219
The 1907 church building is one of Pueblo’s earliest and well-preserved examples of the Classical Revival style. The building exhibits the distinctive characteristics of the style in its full-width pedimented portico supported by large Ionic columns. The semi-circular transom and round-arched window openings with Queen Anne-inspired glazing result in an unusual expression of this style.
Santa Fe Avenue Bridge
US Business Hwy. 50
National Register 10/15/2002, 5PE.3938
The 1924 steel rigid connected Pennsylvania through truss structure’s single span runs for 280 feet. It was designed for the Colorado Department of Highways by H.S. Crocker, fabricated by Virginia Bridge & Iron Company, and built by Pueblo Bridge & Construction Company. Never commonly used in Colorado, Pennsylvania trusses represented a refinement of the standard Pratt truss, both of which were pioneered by the railroads and later constructed to carry vehicular traffic. An urban bridge crossing the Arkansas River in Pueblo, it is the oldest and longest of its type remaining in Colorado. Associated property with the Highway Bridges in Colorado Multiple Property Submission. (2000 photograph.)
Santa Fe Locomotive No. 2912
B St. & Victoria Ave.
State Register 9/13/1995, 5PE.612.44
Built in 1944, Locomotive No. 2912 is a rare surviving example of the final class of steam powered locomotives to be ordered by the Santa Fe Railroad. The 2900-series engines were both the largest and heaviest Northern-type locomotives built in the United States. (ca. 1999 photograph.)
Star Journal Model Home
2920 High St.
National Register 2/16/1984, 5PE.4216
Although many artisans contributed to the project, architect Walter DeMordaunt determined the English country style for the gabled roof, one and a half story brick and sandstone residence. Completed in early 1927, the highly publicized "model" home blended aspects of "convenient living" with cost considerations and served as a showcase for the residential architectural values of the years prior to the Great Depression.
Charles H. Stickney House
101 E. Orman Ave.
National Register 2/8/1985, 5PE.4210
Completed in 1890, New York architect William Halsey Ward’s design integrated massive Norman elements into this two and a half story red sandstone residence constructed for Stickney, an important figure in the economic development of Pueblo.
J.L. Streit House
2201 N. Grand Ave.
National Register 9/20/1984, 5PE.4208
The late 19th century Victorian residence, distinguished primarily by its tower, was designed by architect P.P. Mills. It was built in 1888 by the Dundee Investment Company within a subdivision being developed by the company. (1991 photograph.)
1325 N. Grand Ave.
National Register 3/14/1996, 5PE.4202
This 1900 Reform Jewish house of worship is architecturally significant as an interesting interpretation of the Queen Anne style employing both classical and Richardsonian Romanesque elements.
38 Carlile Place
National Register 11/7/1985, 5PE.4213
Built in 1891, the residence was designed by architect O. Bulow. The two-story brick building is heavily ornamented and incorporates many features associated with the Queen Anne style.
421 Central Plaza
National Register 8/18/1983, 5PE.585
Erected in 1890, the building is one of the most intact commercial structures in the downtown area. This unusual triangular building’s twelve-inch thick walls are faced with red brick. (1998 photograph.)
Union Avenue Historic Commercial District
Main St., Grand, & Victoria Aves.
National Register 12/28/1982, 5PE.612
The district consists of a group of commercial structures located south of Pueblo’s central business district. Of the total 87 properties, 70 contribute to the historic and architectural importance of the district. The area developed quickly following the platting of South Pueblo in 1872, with the first brick buildings appearing in the early 1880s. Originally a wholesale and warehouse district associated with the Denver and Rio Grande Railroad, Union Avenue experienced a major flooding of the Arkansas River in June 1921.