64505 Routt County Rd. 129, Clark vicinity
National Register 8/7/2007, 5RT.438
Columbine was established in 1881 to provide housing and provisions for the nearby miners at Hahns Peak. James R. Caron emigrated from Canada to Columbine with his wife Martha in 1896. He constructed a post office, then purchased an existing store and moved its contents into his new Columbine Mercantile building in 1898. He served as Columbine’s postmaster for 31 years, as well as justice of the peace and coroner.
Columbine functioned as both a major way stop and a destination for visitors in the late 19th century. Miners, loggers, freight drivers, cattlemen and sheepmen came through for provisions, mail, a hot meal, temporary lodging and camaraderie. Recreational activities became a popular pastime as mining diminished, and Columbine attracted fisherman, hunters, trappers and outdoor enthusiasts. The population reached a peak of 68 in 1900 and rose again to 59 in 1930. At its height the town consisted of a general store and post office, saloon, several hotels and boarding houses, a blacksmith shop, assay office, mining company offices, a gas station, restaurants, and cabins.
The district contains representative examples of Pioneer Log construction associated with the isolated mining camps of the Colorado mountains from the early 1880s up through the mid-20th century. Builders used locally available logs and stone in the construction of the various buildings. The earliest were one-room peeled log cabins with notched corners and front-gabled roofs set on simple stone foundations. A later phase of building began with a change of ownership in 1936. This phase brought Rustic style cabins blending well with the natural landscape. (1975 photograph.) More information (PDF, 700 kb).
Hahn’s Peak Schoolhouse
Main St., Hahn’s Peak Village
National Register 2/15/1974, 5RT.72
Built in 1911, this simple wood frame rural schoolhouse continued to house classes during the fall semester until the mid-1960s. Listed under Rural School Buildings in Colorado Multiple Property Submission. (1996 photograph.)
Summit Creek Guard Station
Routt National Forest, Columbine and Clark vicinity
National Register 7/28/2004, 5RT.431
The Summit Creek Ranger Station, with its 1912 date of construction, represents the transition between the 1890-1910 pre-design phase and the 1911-1932 pre-Civilian Conservation Corps phase of Forest Service construction, exhibiting details and methods of both phases. The building is also associated with federal activity and conservation during the early development of the National Forest system, representing the shift in philosophy from one of custodianship to one of conservation of resources by placing the ranger/guard stations in the forests. This allowed rangers to react quickly to threats, conserving the resources entrusted to their care. More information (PDF, 725 kb).
State Register 12/12/2001, 5RT.1592
Leslie Kimsey established this ranch just above the Yampa River in 1917. By 1919, he had a modest craftsman style house and a large Gambrel roof barn to accommodate his farming and ranching operations. In 1933, Isadore Bolten purchased the ranch where he raised sheep and cattle, an unusual combination in the range war years, and grew hay. It continues to illustrate the important role that high country ranching played in the development of Routt County.
Dawson Carpenter Ranch
13250 W. US Hwy. 40
National Register 5/6/1998, 5RT.1207
The ranch has a long association with the agricultural development of the Yampa Valley. Beginning in 1902, the ranch was a major local producer of hay and livestock under the ownership of John Barkley "J.B." Dawson. Along with Charles Goodnight, Dawson was the first to trail cattle in 1859 from Texas to Colorado over what became known as the "Dawson Trail." The ranch is considered nationally significant for its association with Farrington Reed Carpenter. He managed the ranch from 1926 until 1946, at which time he purchased the property. Beginning in 1934, Carpenter served as the first director of the Federal Grazing Service, and his guidance laid the foundation for public domain land management which ended the era of free open range grazing in the West. The Bureau of Land Management recognizes Carpenter as its first director. (1995 photograph.)
300 W. Pearl St.
National Register 10/22/1992, 5RT.892
The Denver and Salt Lake Railroad’s arrival in Hayden in 1913 ended the community’s isolation from eastern Colorado population centers and economic markets. The railroad constructed the sturdy two story brick depot in 1918 to serve growing freight and passenger traffic. Although freight shipments continue through Hayden, passenger service ended in 1968. The depot now functions as a local museum. Listed under Railroads in Colorado, 1858-1948 Multiple Property Submission. (1992 photograph.)
Hayden Rooming House
295 S. Poplar St.
National Register 9/17/1999, 5RT.1361
Constructed in 1910, the 2½ story building is a well preserved example of ornamental concrete block construction. The property is also important for the role it played in the community’s commercial history. It is the lone survivor of the three buildings in Hayden that functioned as hotels during the first years of the 20th century. Listed under Ornamental Concrete Block Buildings in Colorado, 1900 to 1940 Multiple Property Submission.
Solandt Memorial Hospital
150 Jackson Ave.
National Register 8/10/2011, 5RT.513
The 1923 Solandt Memorial Hospital is significant for its long association as a public hospital for the town of Hayden and surrounding communities. Serving the community continuously from 1923 until 1964, the hospital served a vital need. When constructed and continuing through at least through the 1930s, the hospital was the largest and the only accredited hospital in northwestern Colorado as well as between Fort Collins and Salt Lake City. Additionally, it is architecturally important as a good example of a Late Nineteenth and Early Twentieth Century American Movements style building as applied to a block-plan hospital design. The square columns, modest ornamentation, stately porch, arched accents and flat brick are a few of the features of the style exhibited by the hospital. Further, it displays the national architectural trend in hospital design of the post World War I era, which emphasized a highly functional and technologically advanced interior to cater to the patients’ health while minimizing exterior ornamentation. Prominent Laramie, Wyoming, architect Wilbur A. Hitchcock, designed the hospital. Hitchcock planned and designed other hospitals along with many institutional buildings during his career. It is the only remaining intact block-plan type hospital design known to exist in Colorado that has minimal alterations, never had any additions or expansions, and continues to serve as a medical facility.
101-111 Moffat Ave.
National Register 6/7/1990, 5RT.364
Constructed in 1910 by the Bell brothers, Samuel and Edward, on a portion of their ranch property, the two-story wood frame building has housed a company store, a bank, and a doctor’s office in its first floor retail space. The second floor served as a small hotel/boarding house. The Bell Mercantile remains a mainstay business in Oak Creek and continues to stock general merchandise. (1989 photograph.)
Foidel Canyon School
Northwest of Oak Creek
National Register 5/9/1983, 5RT.192
Built circa 1923 during a period of rapid settlement in the area, the building is a late example of wood frame rural schoolhouse construction. Listed under Rural School Buildings in Colorado Multiple Property Submission. (1980 photograph.)
Chamber of Commerce Building
1201 Lincoln Ave.
National Register 4/16/2010, 5RT.2616
The 1960 Chamber of Commerce Building in Steamboat Springs is architecturally significant in the area of architecture as a superior local example of the Modern Movement’s Usonian design philosophy. Integrated into the surrounding landscape and oriented toward the nearby Soda Creek and Little Toots Park, the building embodies many of the defining characteristics of the design philosophy, including the use of natural materials, which help blend the building into the site, dominant horizontal lines, integrated windows, and an inverted gabled roof with wide overhanging eaves. Notable are two cottonwood trees extending through the porch floor and roof and incorporated into the overall design. Architect Eugene Sternberg designed the Chamber of Commerce Building as one of several commissions he received in the Steamboat Springs area. The building’s small-scale is unusual within the architect’s broad body of work, but typifies his interest in economical construction through its utilization of donated materials and volunteer labor.
Christian Science Society Building
641 Oak St.
National Register 8/22/2007, 5RT.1053
The 1934 log building is a good local example of Rustic style architecture. It embodies many of the defining characteristics of the design philosophy, including the use of native materials in its log construction and stone foundation, the multi-light windows, simple ornamentation, and log wall interior. The building is in harmony with its mountain setting, an important quality of naturalistic design encompassed in the Rustic style. More information (PDF, 896 kb).
1184 Crawford St.
National Register 8/7/2005, 5RT.473
The 1894 Crawford House is important for the local contributions of its original owners, James and Margaret Crawford. The couple was among the most influential pioneering families in northwest Colorado. The construction of this, their third home, demonstrated their faith in the permanence of Steamboat Springs. Further development of the community resulted from James Crawford’s involvement in many local and regional enterprises. The house is a rare local example of residential Romanesque Revival style architecture and the only residence within the city limits built entirely of native ashlar sandstone. (1985 photograph.) More information (PDF, 732 kb).
First National Bank Building (Rehder Building)
803-807 Lincoln Ave. & 57½ 8th St.
National Register 1/11/2001, 5RT.259
Constructed in 1905, the two-story commercial building is a rare local example of the Romanesque Revival style. The first floor walls are of heavy native sandstone, and the red brick walls of the second floor are accented with sandstone quoins. Round arches top the window and door openings of the first floor. A one-story stone addition at the rear dates from 1920. Located on a prominent downtown corner, the virtually intact building serves as a reminder of the successful banking operation it housed during an early period of economic prosperity in Steamboat Springs.
845 Howelsen Pkwy.
State Register 12/13/2000, 5RT.1048
Located adjacent the downtown area, Howelsen Hill is a highly visible geographic feature within the community. Encompassing approximately 40 acres, the district includes the portions of the hill’s north facing slope most closely associated with the history of skiing in Steamboat Springs. Since 1914, this important cultural landscape has evolved to meet the needs and desires of the community as well as developments within the worldwide sport of competitive ski jumping. Owned by the city since 1935, the hill also continues to serve as the location for the annual Winter Carnival and the wide variety of ski education programs operated in conjunction with the local school district. (ca. 2000 photograph.)
F.M. Light House
204 Park Ave.
State Register 3/9/1994, 5RT.480
The 1909 1½-story Edwardian Vernacular style wood frame residence has a steeply pitched cross gabled roof. There are three hipped roof porches with classical columns, and two historic barns are located on the property. The residence was built for the Francis Marion Light family. Light arrived in Steamboat Springs in 1905 and open a small retail store. By 1910, his general merchandise business had grown into one of the largest in the region. (1993 photograph.)
840 Lincoln Ave.
National Register 9/29/1995, 5RT.249
Constructed in 1908, the two-story Maxwell building has played an important role in the commercial and economic development of Steamboat Springs. It still houses the town’s longest continually operating drugstore. Constructed during a building boom before the arrival of the railroad, the Maxwell was one of the last buildings in town that used locally manufactured bricks.
33985 S. US Hwy. 40, Steamboat Springs vicinity
National Register 11/1/2007, 5RT.2389
The 1916 Mesa Schoolhouse, located south of Steamboat Springs, is an excellent local example of the early 20th century rural schoolhouse building type. Constructed as the Mesa District’s permanent school, the building reflects the development of the Yampa Valley and its commitment to education. In the south Yampa Valley area, Germans, French-Swiss, and Irish immigrants attended classes with children from older generation immigrant families. Like most rural schools, the Mesa Schoolhouse played a major role in the assimilation process. Although intended to provide a place for education for the children of the Mesa District, it also became the social center of the small agricultural community. School district consolidation closed the Mesa Schoolhouse in 1959. For the next 30 years the building served as a residential rental and the following decade as a “party place”. The City of Steamboat Springs and local non-profit Historic Routt County! acquired the building and the small parcel of land with the assistance of the State Historical Fund in 1998. The property is associated with the Rural School Buildings in Colorado Multiple Property Submission. (2004 photograph.)
Perry-Mansfield School & Camp
40755 County Rd. 36
State Register 3/8/1995, National Register 7/14/1995, 5RT.976
Established in 1914, the school/camp is the oldest, continuously operating, modern dance camp in the United States. Charlotte Perry and Portia Mansfield, two Smith College graduates instrumental in pioneering theater and dance, founded the camp. (2005 photograph.)
Rabbit Ears Motel Sign
201 Lincoln Ave.
State Register 8/31/2006, 5RT.2296
The 1953 Rabbit Ears Motel Sign remains an enduring and established visual feature of the community and serves as a source of local identity. The large neon sign with its distinctive rabbit face survived periods of downtown “modernization” to become a much beloved local geographic landmark. (2001 photograph.) More information (PDF, 3.15 MB).
Routt County National Bank Building
802 Lincoln Ave.
National Register 5/20/2002, 5RT.242
Constructed in 1919 to house the expansion of the First National Bank, the building reflects the development of the commercial sector of Steamboat Springs and the economic ups and downs of Routt County during the first half of the 20th century. In 1938, the Routt County National Bank emerged as a survivor of the troubled economic times. While a variety of enterprises have occupied the first floor commercial spaces, the upper story continues to house the Steamboat Masonic Lodge. Located on a prominent downtown corner lot, the two-story brick and stone building underwent numerous alterations since its construction. During 2000-01, the removal of a circa 1980 stucco veneer and faux mansard roof took place as part of a rehabilitation project utilizing both federal tax credits and a State Historical Fund grant. (2003 photograph.)
302 11th Street
National Register 12/7/2011, 5RT.2624
The 1958 Steamboat Apartments in Steamboat Springs are architecturally significant as a superior local example of the Modern Movement’s Usonian style and as an excellent example of architect Eugene Sternberg’s body of work. Integrated into the surrounding landscape with expansive views oriented toward the Old Town area and south Yampa Valley, the complex embodies many of the defining characteristics of the Usonian design philosophy, including the use of natural materials which help blend the building into the site, dominant horizontal lines, integrated windows, and a distinctive butterfly roof with wide overhanging eaves. Additionally, the Steamboat Apartments evince the local community’s long-term association with architect Eugene Sternberg, a master of mid-twentieth century regional architecture. Sternberg’s personal focus on socially involved and affordable construction throughout his career is evident in his design for the Steamboat Apartments. (2004 photograph.) More information (PDF, 1.5MB)
Steamboat Laundry Building
127-131 11th St.
National Register 8/10/2007, 5RT.255
The 1910-20 building was part of the early commercial development of Steamboat Springs. The firm played an important role in fostering the town’s development through service industries. The 1910 construction and circa 1920 expansion reflect Steamboat’s increasing and prospering population, as well as the community’s economic success during the first two decades of the 20th century. The building is a good example of Twentieth-Century Commercial style architecture as it appeared in northwest Colorado. (2007 photograph.) More information (PDF, 260 kb).
Steamboat Springs Depot
39265 County Rd. 33B
National Register 12/20/1978, 5RT.73
David Moffat’s Denver, Northwestern and Pacific Railway reached Steamboat Springs in 1909, thus opening up an important rail link between the community and Colorado’s Eastern Slope markets. Denver architect Frank Edbrooke designed the two story building which included a passenger section, with waiting rooms and station office below upper level living quarters, and a long freight and baggage extension to the west. The depot closed when passenger service ended in 1968. Listed under Railroads in Colorado, 1858-1948 Multiple Property Submission. (ca. 2000 photograph.)
Rock Creek Stage Station / Gore Pass Stage Station
Routt National Forest Rd. # 206
National Register 10/21/1982, 5RT.91
A circa 1880 two-story log building remains on the property. The station served the first mail route into the Yampa Valley which was established in 1878. The difficulty of transportation in this isolated region made the presence of the station an important factor in the settlement of the area.
Antler Cafe & Bar
40 & 46 Moffat Ave.
State Register 3/11/1998, 5RT.1254, National Register 5/27/2014
The circa 1903/1904 Antlers Café and Bar in Yampa was initially listed in the Colorado State Register of Historic Properties on March 11, 1998. Antlers is locally significant under Commerce for the period 1904 to 1964 as the main stopping place along the historic road that is now known as the Flat Tops Scenic Byway as well as a long-time community establishment for food and drink. The building is