Edmond Shapley bought the original 160 acres in Weld County as a relinquishment in 1910. He homesteaded by farming, raising cattle, milking cows and raising chickens. Edmond died in 1930 after which wife Alma ran the ranch with help from their eldest son Lyle who eventually took the ranch over. He increased the acreage to make a life and living for his wife Ethel and sons Dewan and Leland. Together they raised cattle, hogs and dairy cows. The land passed down to Leland and wife Connie, and Dewain and wife Nancy. Dewain took over the cow calf operation on the land he has ranched his entire life. Today the place along highway 71 consists of 1480 acres plus 280 leased acres where the early 1900’s sod house still stands along with the farm house, two barns, chicken house and granary.