Settled in 1911, located in Westcliffe/Custer County.
On July 31, 1911, George F. Walker purchased 240 acres in Custer County near Westcliffe, and George, wife Zaluma and daughter Hazel began the ranching activities typical of the times. Additionally, George also owned a barber shop in Westcliffe, six miles away. Hazel married Willard Walker in 1920 and in 1939 George conveyed the 240 acre ranch to Willard and Hazel. Over the years Willard and Hazel expanded the ranch to 882 acres through purchases and homesteading. The ranch functioned as a year round cattle ranch, although sheep were raised in the early days. Willard Walker died in 1968 and Hazel and her family continued to manage the ranch for livestock grazing and hay production. In 1971, Hazel and her family formed the W.A.W. Cattle Ranch, Inc. The W.A.W Cattle Ranch continues today as an active cattle ranch in the Wet Mountain Valley where several historic buildings including the 1890’s ranch house, blacksmith shop and chicken coop are still in use.
Watch the audio slide show and listen to an interview with members of the Walker Family Ranch, conducted by BARN media (play time approximately 19 minutes)