Denver & New Orleans Railroad Segment
Along Elbert Rd., south of Elbert
State Register 12/13/1995, 5EL.299.1 / 5EP.868.1
The Denver and New Orleans Railroad operated over this now abandoned grade between 1881 and 1936. The Denver & New Orleans was the first standard gauge railroad to operate between Denver, Colorado Springs and Pueblo.
J Bar Double C Ranch
21441 County Rd. 35-41, Elbert vicinity
State Register 9/8/2004, 5EL.656
The 388-acre J Bar Double C Ranch is significant for its development and use between 1952 and 1967 as a western summer camp for children of Jewish heritage. Beginning on the East Coast after World War I, children’s summer camps geared to the Jewish community spread westward after the World War II. The J Bar Double C Ranch camp was the Denver Jewish community’s response to the need for such a facility in the area and is one of only two Jewish summer camps in Colorado. More information (PDF, 2.43 MB).
Sacred Heart Church
7211 County Rd. 98
State Register 3/8/1995, 5EL.294
Originally built on the banks of Boxelder Creek, a devastating flood in 1935 nearly swept the building away and resulted in its move to higher ground east of town. The church is a striking local expression of the Gothic Revival style.
St. Mark United Presbyterian Church
2481 Main St.
National Register 9/18/1980, 5EL.138
St. Mark United Presbyterian Church, a one-and-one-half-story clapboard structure on a wooden foundation, has a high gabled roof and brick chimney. It was built in 1889 by prospective members under the direction of a local carpenter, Taylor Green. A tower, topped with a spire and four-sided cupola, houses the narthex in its base. The first Protestant church to be organized and constructed in Elbert County, the building represents the architecture common in the eastern plains churches of that era. It provided shelter for worship and social gatherings as well as serving as a relief station during area floods of 1935.
For information about the State Historical Fund’s participation in the preservation of this property see the Project Snapshot.
Intersection of Elbert County Rds. 69 and 98
State Register 3/13/2002, 5EL.621
Opened in 1902, seven years after the community’s founding, the store served until 1949 as the community’s center of commerce and information. In addition to operating as a general store, the building variously shared space with a doctor’s office and pharmacy; welcomed the daily stage coach from Elbert; hosted meetings, parties, dances and celebrations; and on election day, served as the local polling place. The one-story brick building marked the center of the community and soon became its visual landmark.