Alma Community Church
184 N. Main St.
State Register 12/11/1996, 5PA.438
The 1936 Alma Community Church is significant for its role in the social history of the community. It is a well-preserved and unaltered example of the Rustic style. Construction was primarily a volunteer effort, and the building still remains available for community use.
59 E. Buckskin St.
State Register 12/11/1996, 5PA.871
The 1925 Alma School, a rare local example of the Mission style, is significant as a symbol of the importance of education to the area’s residents and the involvement of the Public Works Administration in the funding of additions, designed by Frank Frewen, to the building in 1936. (ca. 1990 photograph.)
Alma vicinity, address restricted
National Register 8/6/2013, 5PA.4706
The Paris Mill is significant in the area of industry, engineering and architecture, from 1895 when it first opened, to 1937, when mill operations ceased. The facility was instrumental in the success of the greater Paris Mine, a major gold producer important to western Park County. In providing ore treatment, and hence reducing freight and smelting costs, the mill allowed a succession of mine operators to produce higher volumes of complex ore over longer periods of time than was otherwise economically possible. The mill exemplifies a gold cyanidation and flotation concentration facility as defined in the Mining Industry in Colorado Multiple Property Documentation Form.
43 County Rd. 68 (McGraw Memorial Park)
State Register 5/13/1992, 5PA.31
A good example of pioneer log construction, the 1864 cabin was built with v-notched, hand hewn squared logs. Associated with early Bailey settlers Elizabeth Entriken and her brother, the well known Father John Dyer, it is the only surviving building from the original town of Bailey. It was moved to McGraw park in 1973.
Estabrook Historic District
Bailey vicinity, bounded by Estabrook, Platte Canyon, Rivercliff, & Rivercliff Ranch
National Register 10/20/1980, 5PA.61
The district consists of a variety of structures including a stone lodge, several ranch related buildings, a depot, and a small railroad bridge. The district is associated with the Denver South Park & Pacific Railroad and its influence on the early development of tourism in the area. The Rustic style buildings within the district display a high level of craftsmanship. (1979 photograph.)
Off US Hwy. 285
National Register 1/18/1985, 5PA.32
The 1901 Rustic style resort hotel was constructed as a result of an increase in the promotion of tourism by real estate and railroad interests. The two and one half story log and shingled building’s most distinctive feature is the three-story round tower, with a conical roof, found at its northwest corner. (ca. 1919 photograph.)
Boreas Railroad Station Site
Boreas Pass Rd., Pike National Forest, northwest of Como
National Register 10/28/1993, 5PA.585/5ST.494
The site, located at an elevation of 11,498 feet, was a key element of the Denver South Park & Pacific Railroad’s route that ran from Como to Breckenridge and then on to Leadville. The narrow gauge line was completed in 1883. The station was a major hub both during construction of the route and during its period of operation from 1882 to 1937. The most prominent surviving structure is the one and one half story log section. (1998 photograph.)
Como Roundhouse, Railroad Depot & Hotel Complex
Off US Hwy. 285
National Register 5/20/1983, 5PA.30
The site contains the six-stall stone roundhouse, the I-plan two-story brick hotel, and the one-story frame depot. The roundhouse and depot date to circa 1880 and the hotel to 1897. The complex served the Denver, South Park and Pacific Railroad which was originally built west from Denver to tap the area’s coal deposits. The complex remained a busy railroad division point after the completion of the DSP&P high line over Boreas Pass to Leadville in 1884. Rail operations at Como ceased in 1938. Listed under Railroads in Colorado, 1858-1948 Multiple Property Submission. (1996 photograph.)
National Register 6/30/2000, 5PA.1223
Como School operated from the 1883 construction of the original, wood frame grade school building through 1948, the last year of its use as a public educational facility. In addition to the hipped roof grade school, there is a small gabled roof building that was moved to the school grounds during the early 1930s to serve as a high school. The complex also includes two outhouses and a small storage shed. After closing as a school, the property was acquired by the Como Civic Association, and it remains in use as a community center. Listed under Rural School Buildings in Colorado Multiple Property Submission. (1998 photograph.)
639 Hathaway St.
State Register 12/8/1999, 5PA.58
The building represents, both physically and intellectually, the growth and evolution of public education in the South Park area of Park County. The original Italianate style portion was constructed in 1881, and it has remained in use as a public educational facility ever since. The 1934 Moderne style gymnasium/classroom addition, partially funded by the Public Works Administration, was designed by prominent Denver architect Frank Frewen Jr. Subsequent additions were constructed in 1947 and 1985. (ca. 2001 photograph.)
500 Main St.
National Register 1/16/2008, 5PA.57
The 1922 Fairplay Hotel is the largest and longest lived hotel in town. The hotel has provided accommodations and meals for travelers, tourists, sportsmen, workers, and the local community to the present day. With ample public rooms and a central location (Fairplay is the county seat), the Fairplay Hotel has hosted a variety of meetings and functions such as dances and wedding receptions, as well as fraternal, livestock, and other local organizations. The hotel is as a well-preserved example of the Rustic style, popular for tourist lodges and hotels in the mountain towns of Colorado during the early 20th century. With its clipped gable roof, false thatch, bracketed overhanging eaves, battered stone porch piers, and river rock foundation, the building reflects Arts and Crafts features prominent in this style. The work of master architect William N. Bowman, this is his only known work done in the Rustic style. Other buildings credited to him include the National Register-listed Mountain States Telephone and Telegraph Building in downtown Denver and the Weld County Courthouse in Greeley. (ca. 1930's photograph.) More information (PDF, 1.15 MB).
Park County Court House
National Register 5/25/1979, 5PA.25
Located in Court House Square, this two-story red sandstone building has a raised basement and was constructed in 1874. (2002 photograph.)
South Park City Museum
100 4th St.
National Register 11/5/2014, 5PA.394
The South Park City Museum is an intact mid-twentieth century outdoor museum interpreting a frontier mining community, significant for its association with Park County tourism, the Rush to the Rockies gold-discovery centennial celebration of 1958, and early historic preservation efforts in Park County. During Colorado’s Gold Rush mining towns were scattered across Park County, but by mid-twentieth century these ghost towns were rapidly disappearing, victims of vandalism, fire, and the natural elements. Leon Snyder (1892-1973), a Colorado Springs lawyer, worked with local residents to preserve Park County’s mining heritage by creating an outdoor museum. The goal was to create an authentic replica of a nineteenth century Colorado mining town, using historic buildings from Park County. Although moving historic buildings is discouraged by today’s standards, the Museum represents earlier efforts to preserve these frontier-era resources. More information (PDF, 2.47 MB).
South Park Community Church / Jackson Memorial Chapel
6th & Hathaway
National Register 11/22/1977, 5PA.26
Constructed in 1874, the small white painted, board and batten church is an excellent, well preserved example of the Carpenter Gothic style. It includes lancet windows, extensive wood trim, and an intricately detailed bell tower. The congregation was organized by Sheldon Jackson, a Presbyterian missionary who was active throughout the Colorado frontier. (1996 photograph.)
South Park Lager Beer Brewery
3rd & Front Sts.
National Register 6/25/1974, 5PA.24
Constructed by Leonard Summer in the mid-1870s, the primarily stone two-story building was associated with the Summer Saloon. Since such local saloon owners usually imported their stock from Denver, the brewery represents a somewhat unusual undertaking in a small mining community.
3rd & Front Sts.
National Register 5/8/1974, 5PA.27
Built in 1879 by Leonard Summer, adjacent his brewery operation, the one-story building is of red sandstone quarried near Red Hill Pass. On its facade, the stone rises high above the flat roof, resulting in the "falsefront" appearance typically associated with wood frame commercial buildings of the period. (2001 photograph.)
Trout Creek / Annex / Settele Ranch
3242 Park County Rd. 7, Fairplay vicinity
National Register 4/29/2008, 5PA.3253
The ranch is closely associated with the history of agriculture in the South Park area of Park County. The buildings and structures at the ranch represent the variety of agricultural functions and construction techniques from 130 years of cattle, sheep, and hay ranching. The headquarters buildings typify functional, unadorned wood-frame and log construction techniques using locally available materials of the early 20th century. The overall landscape and setting include large open pasturelands, a railroad grade, and historic irrigation ditches. A brief effort to tap into the South Park region’s petroleum potential resulted in an attempt to drill a well on the ranch in 1904-05. The remnants of the oil derrick remain, showing the early 20th century technology, practices, and equipment employed. The property is associated with the Historic Ranching Resources of South Park, Colorado Multiple Property Submission. (2007 photograph.) More information (PDF, 2.45 MB).
County Rd. 59, Hartsel vicinity
National Register 1/28/2000, 5PA.1225
James B. Putnam homesteaded the ranch’s original 160 acres in 1881. When purchased by the Buckley family in 1908, the cattle ranch spread across more than 2,500 acres. During the 1920s, sheep replaced cattle as the primary focus of ranching in the South Park area, and the production of hay also played an important role in the successful operation of the ranch. The 6.4 acre historic district encompasses the former ranch headquarters area and includes numerous ranch-related buildings and structures of log or wood frame construction. Members of the Buckley family continued to operate the ranch until 1949. In 1986, the Colorado Division of Wildlife purchased the property, and it is now utilized for recreational activities associated with Spinney Mountain State Park. Listed under Historic Ranching Resources of South Park, Colorado Multiple Property Submission. (1998 photograph.)
Colorado Salt Works
3858 US Hwy. 285, Hartsel vicinity
National Register 2/1/2001, 5PA.1478
Developed by Charles L. Hall, the Colorado Salt Works was the only salt production facility of its kind constructed in Colorado. Located on a 33-acre site adjacent the Salt Works Ranch agricultural district, the intact wood frame barn and the partially collapsed kettle house, a large two-story L-shaped building, serve as visual reminders of one of Colorado’s earliest industrial enterprises. Drawing from surrounding salt springs, the facility operated from 1866 to circa 1870, when the arrival of the railroads lessened the value of producing salt locally. Preliminary research indicates it may well be the only surviving example of an 1860s kettle and pan salt production facility in the United States. (2000 photograph.)
Em Ranch (Santa Maria Ranch)
County Rd. 439, Hartsel vicinity
National Register 10/15/2002, 5PA.1539
The agricultural history associated with the EM Ranch extends from 1874 through 1948, encompassing the original homesteading by Hardy Epperson, Aldophus Feringer’s assemblage of the large land holdings, the subsequent extensive sheep raising operations of the Chalmers and Galloway partnership, and the economic decline of the Depression years that culminated in the Ownbey family’s ownership of the property. Numerous buildings remain intact within the headquarters complex located in the southwestern portion of the 2,320 acre property. Listed under Historic Ranching Resources of South Park, Colorado Multiple Property Submission. (2000 photograph.)
Salt Works Ranch
3858 US Hwy. 285, Hartsel vicinity
National Register 2/2/2001, 5PA.346
The Salt Works Ranch agricultural district encompasses 128 acres and includes the original homestead site settled by Charles L. Hall in 1862. A wide variety of primarily log and wood frame buildings and structures typical of a successful large-scale ranching operation remain on the site. Of particular interest is the Second Empire style main house which dates from the early 1870s. The property is also important for its association with Thomas McQuaid, a son-in-law of Hall, who played an active leadership role among Colorado ranchers. McQuaid oversaw operation of the ranch from 1911 until his death in 1965. During his tenure, the ranching operation expanded to cover more than 87,000 acres. This still working ranch was recognized as a Colorado Centennial Farm. Listed under Historic Ranching Resources of South Park, Colorado Multiple Property Submission. (2001 photograph.)
Three Mile Gulch Prehistoric Archaeological District
Location restricted, Hartsel vicinity
National Register 9/13/2011, 5PA.4455
The Three Mile Gulch Prehistoric Archaeological District is significant for industry and prehistoric archaeology, exploration/settlement, and social history. The landscape of the district is able to visibly convey a unique manifestation of petrified wood quarrying, lithic reduction, and use of Archaic Period peoples in the South Park region. Threemile Gulch can be envisioned as a lithic landscape, a land surface that is virtually draped in lithic materials and that records consistent extraction and use of petrified wood across millennia, particularly during the Archaic.
Jefferson Denver South Park & Pacific Railroad Depot
US Hwy. 285 at County Rd. 35
National Register 12/31/1998, 5PA.81
The circa 1880 depot, with Stick style architectural detailing, is a small well-preserved example of a wood frame combination depot. Designed to handle passengers and freight, it remained in active use until 1937. The depot is one of only a few intact historic resources surviving from the DSP&P Railroad’s narrow gauge rail network that extended from Denver into Colorado’s rich mining regions during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Listed under Railroads in Colorado, 1858-1948 Multiple Property Submission. (1998 photograph.)
Kenosha Pass Railroad Station
Off US Hwy. 285, Jefferson vicinity
State Register 3/12/1997, 5PA.80
The circa 1879 Kenosha Pass Railroad Station site is important for its association with the Denver, South Park & Pacific Railroad’s crossing of Kenosha Pass. The wye at the site facilitated the movement of railroad stock awaiting repairs. Rail service over the line was discontinued in 1938. (1996 photograph.)
US Hwy. 285 & Lost Park Rd., Jefferson vicinity
National Register 10/12/2000, 5PA.1412
The ranch complex is located at the western foot of Kenosha Pass. Construction dates for the wide variety of log and wood frame buildings and structures remaining on the property range from 1883 to 1948. The 116 acre district encompasses most of the land originally homesteaded by Thomas Hyatt in 1883. Subsequently, this area functioned as the headquarters for the more than 1,100 acre ranching operation of William H. Lilly. Cattle raising remained the focus of operations even after many other South Park ranchers switched to raising sheep. The Wahl family’s association with the ranch dates from the mid-1920s through the deaths of Albert and Ada Wahl in 1993. Listed under Historic Ranching Resources of South Park, Colorado Multiple Property Submission.
410 Park County Rd. 90, Lake George vicinity
State Register 3/8/1995, 5PA.742
The complex contains a collection of ranch buildings dating to 1925 associated with the development of ranching activities in the Wilkerson Pass area. Built largely of native materials, the ranch is typical of the area and period.
37026 County Rd. 77, Lake George vicinity
State Register 3/8/1995, 5PA.743
Begun in 1916, the complex is associated with the development of ranching activities along the county’s Tarryall Corridor. Built largely of native logs, it is representative of a ranching complex of the period. (1994 photograph.)
Staunton Ranch Rural Historic Landscape
Upper Ranch Road, Pine vicinity
National Register 12/4/2012, 5PA.4525/5JF.4385
The 1918 Staunton Ranch is a good representation of an early twentieth century entertainment and recreation mountain resort with Rustic style cabins. Character-defining features on the cabins include unpeeled, half-round, log siding, l