Boreas Railroad Station Site
Boreas Pass Rd., Pike National Forest, southeast of Breckenridge
National Register 10/28/1993, 5ST.494 / 5PA.585
The site, located at an elevation of 11,498 feet, was a key element of the Denver South Park & Pacific Railroad’s route that ran from Como to Breckenridge and then on to Leadville. The DSP&P completed its narrow gauge line 1883. The station functioned as a major hub both during construction of the route and during its period of operation from 1882 to 1937. The most prominent surviving structure is the one and one half story log section house, which has been restored. (1998 photograph.)
Breckenridge Historic District
National Register 4/9/1980, 5ST.130
Located in the Rocky Mountains approximately 100 miles west of Denver, Breckenridge is an example of a mining boom town that experienced a new era of prosperity as a result of the post World War II boom in the ski industry. Settlement in the area began in 1859. The district contains approximately 180 structures and includes excellent examples of the late 19th and early 20th century commercial, residential and religious architecture associated with Colorado mountain mining communities. The property is associated with the Mining Industry in Colorado Multiple Property Submission. (1977 photograph.)
Masonic Placer Cemetery ~ Valley Brook Cemetery
905 Airport Rd.
National Register 7/18/2014, 5ST.884
The 1882 Masonic Placer Cemetery - Valley Brook Cemetery has an unusual Celtic cross design and is important for its association with the development of the Town of Breckenridge and Summit County. Additionally, it is the final resting place for Edwin Carter, a naturalist whose life work to study and preserve each type of wildlife found in Colorado’s Rocky Mountains was important to Breckenridge and Colorado. (2013 photograph.) More information (PDF, 1.31 MB)
120 Main St.
National Register 9/15/1983, 5ST.258
Built circa 1890, this wood frame rural schoolhouse includes an elaborate bell tower and a stained glass window. Listed under Rural School Buildings in Colorado Multiple Property Submission. (1996 photograph.)
518 Main St.
State Register 5/31/2007, 5ST.1074
The 1909 Staley-Rouse House is a rare example of vertical and horizontal structural log construction in a domestic design. The juxtaposition of the vertical logs of the first story with the horizontal logs of the upper story is exceptionally uncommon. The use of difficult keyed half-notching on the joints of the horizontal logs may reflect Nordic (possibly Finnish) influences in the house’s design and construction. The building displays a high level of workmanship. Despite alterations in the 1980s, the house is an example of the town’s early architecture and is one of the best preserved buildings in Frisco in its original location. (2005 photograph.) More information (PDF, 1.12 MB).
Wildhack’s Grocery Store - Post Office
510 Main St.
National Register 5/16/1985, 5ST.326
The building, which served as a local gathering place, consists of two wood frame structures. During the 1920s, the two-story front gabled roof portion was added on to a late 19th century one-story, side gable roof cabin. The building housed the U.S. Post Office from 1914 to 1966, and for many years was the only general store in Frisco. (1987 photograph.)
Soda Creek Homestead
Off Keystone Ranch Rd.
National Register 3/1/2010, 5ST.366
Soda Creek Ranch was of the region’s earliest homesteads beginning in the late 1880s. It was used as a dairy and hay ranch through early era and later as a Hereford cattle ranch with continued hay production into the early 1970s. Soda Creek Ranch served as a prominent guest ranch between circa 1924-60. The ranch contains intact Pioneer Log buildings associated with Colorado’s early mining and settlement along with four later log buildings with hog trough construction and a Rustic style influence.
5375 Webster St.
National Register 1/9/2007, 5ST.1043
The school building served as the educational center for this high mountain mining community from its construction in 1884 up until school consolidation brought about its closure in 1958. The building embodies the distinctive characteristics of the one-room schoolhouse building type. Its purpose is easily discerned by its form. The school exhibits such typical features as a front gabled roof, bell tower, vestibule, tall narrow windows, and associated privies. Listed under the Rural School Buildings in Colorado Multiple Property Submission. More information (PDF, 656 kb).
Slate Creek Bridge
County Rd. 1450, over Blue River
National Register 6/24/1985, 5ST.324
Constructed by the American Bridge Company in 1924, this replacement bridge over the Blue River north of Dillon consists of a rigid-connected, eight-panel steel Parker pony truss with buttresses. It is the only Colorado example of this Pratt subtype. Listed under Highway Bridges in Colorado Multiple Property Submission.