The Haynes Townhomes, located along the 1700 Block of Pearl Street in Denver, were constructed in 1893, following a design by prominent local architect William Lang. Comprising two buildings built side-by-side in the Richardsonian Romanesque style, they represent the sort of multi-family units that were popular in the Capital Hill neighborhood in the late nineteenth century. They were designated as local historic landmarks in 1998.
Also known also as "Woody's Place," the buildings are headquarter to the Colorado Vincentian Volunteers (CVV), a year-long volunteer program that invites young adults into a process of companionship with the poor in the spirit of St. Vincent de Paul. CVV purchased the buildings in the mid-1990s and, in 2003, received a State Historical Fund grant to undo years of neglect and unsympathetic maintenance.
As part of the SHF-funded work, layers of yellow paint were removed from the exterior; brick and sandstone walls, lintels, sills, and quoins were reset or repaired, and repointed; original wood doors and windows were rehabilitated; gutters and downspouts were made functional. Artisans repaired, or in many cases, laboriously reconstructed the highly decorative sandstone belt courses, garland, colonettes, lintels, and capitals that articulate the façade.
For additional information about this project please contact the State Historical Fund at 303-866-2825.
Upper right: The Haynes Townhomes before the project. Note the yellow paint with green and deteriorated stone.
Middle left: The original masonry shines after paint removal and restoration.
Lower right:The original entry door and windows following restoration.