Bent County Courthouse & Jail
National Register 1/2/1976, Additional Documentation 3/22/2001, 5BN.99
This architecturally significant building was constructed between 1886 and 1889. The imposing two-story red brick structure is trimmed extensively in stone. The second level includes corner towers with open arches. Directly linked to the judicial and social history of the adjacent courthouse, the 1902 jail served as the county’s processing and holding facility for 98 years.
Bent County High School
1214 7th St.
National Register 7/30/2010, 5BN.382
Constructed in 1914 and expanded in 1939 through New Deal programs, the Bent County High School is locally significant for its associations with education, entertainment/recreation, politics/government and architecture. The property is listed under the 2005 New Deal Resources on Colorado’s Eastern Plains Multiple Property Documentation Form. The building is architecturally significant as a distinctive example of 1910s school design in the Classical Revival style on Colorado’s eastern plains and 1930s school design in the WPA Moderne style. The original section of the school building reflects the Classical Revival style through its symmetrical design, full-height entry porch supported by fluted Ionic columns, elaborate cornice with dentils beneath overhanging eaves, and wide paneled frieze. Designed by Walter Dubree, a local architect based out of La Junta, the style was well suited to institutional, educational architecture. Although the school remained in active use until the late 1990s,the period of significance begins in 1914 and closes in 1960.
Colo. Hwy. 101, south of Las Animas
National Register 10/24/1986, 5BN.363
Founded in 1866, Boggsville is one of Colorado’s earliest extant agricultural and trade centers. The 1866 Boggs House and the recently restored 1867 Prowers House are among the earliest documented examples of Territorial architecture in the state. The property is associated with the Historic Resources of the Santa Fe Trail, 1821-1880 Multiple Property Submission.
Junction of Bent County Rd. 15 and Fort Lyon Gate Rd., Las Animas vicinity
National Register 5/5/2004, 5BN.117
Fort Lyon is important for its role as an army post, a navy hospital, and a veterans’ hospital. Beginning in 1867, the fort served as part of the army’s Department of the Missouri, a regional network of forts and military facilities in the Missouri River drainage. The navy took control of the fort in 1906, adapting and greatly expanding the army post to serve a medical facility. The hospital provided tubercular care to sailors and marines until 1922, with all funding for operations and construction obtained through appropriations from the Department of the Navy. The navy pursued a policy of self-sufficiency for the institution, which is reflected by the development of the associated agricultural fields, irrigation system and support structures. In 1922 the Veterans’ Bureau, later the Veterans’ Administration, assumed control of the facility, expanded the hospital complex, and opened its services to all active and retired personnel and their families in all branches of the military service.
Fort Lyon is important in Colorado ethnic heritage. First, the property is important for its association with Native Americans during the earliest period of the fort’s operation beginning in 1868. Second, the property is significant for its association with African Americans, specifically the all-black Buffalo Soldiers of the 10th Cavalry stationed at Fort Lyon in the late 1860s and 1870s. Third, the property is significant for its association with those of European origins, specifically as the fort was used to treat World War I German naval prisoners suffering from tuberculosis.
Finally, Fort Lyon is architecturally significant for its set of standardized VA hospital buildings. Constructed during the period 1929 through 1945, these building types are best expressed in the group of multi-story Georgian Rival style, brick buildings adjacent to the parade ground. The property is associated with the Historic Resources of the Santa Fe Trail, 1821-1880 Multiple Property Submission.
505 Locust Ave.
State Register 12/10/1997, 5BN.453
Built in 1900, the house is an excellent local example of the Queen Anne style as applied to a moderate sized, 1½ story frame dwelling.
I.O.O.F. Hall, Lodge No. 11
560 Bent Ave.
State Register 3/10/1999, 5BN.466
The 1889 stone building is a good example of late 19th century commercial architecture and represents the return of prosperity to this agricultural community following the depression of the early 1890s. The building served a fraternal organization of men and women, providing them with mutual support and social activities while fostering participation in community charities.
King Solomon’s Lodge Masonic Temple
506 Carson Ave.