Colo. Hwy. 7, south of Allenspark
National Register 5/22/1986, 5BL.371
Constructed in 1888, the building is one of two log rural schoolhouses remaining in the county.
Thunder Lake Trail-Bluebird Lake Trail
Rocky Mountain National Park, Allenspark vicinity
National Register 1/29/2008, 5BL.10293
The trail is associated with the early resort industry and tourism in the Estes Park region, and first appears on a tourist guide map in 1910. During the late 1930s the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) performed trail maintenance and improvements. The trail design reflects National Park Service Naturalistic Design of the 1920s through the 1940s. The property is associated with the Rocky Mountain National Park and the Historic Park Landscapes in National and State Parks Resources Multiple Property Submissions. (2006 photograph.)
646 Pearl St.
National Register 1/29/2009, 5BL.1110
The 1877 Arnett-Fullen House is significant as an excellent example of the Mixed Style of architecture, incorporating elements of the Gothic Revival, Carpenter Gothic, Second Empire, and Italianate styles. In looking at the house, the Gothic Revival is represented by steeply pitched roofs, cross gables, and brick walls. The “gingerbread” bargeboards and elaborate scrolled and carved woodwork on the porches and gables are characteristic of Carpenter Gothic. The mansard tower, the dominant feature of the house, and the iron roof cresting are indicative of the Second Empire style. Typical of the Second Empire style, the house centers around this ornamental tower. Decorative brackets, narrow segmental arch windows and doors, and the canted bay window point to the Italianate influence. Taken all together, it is a masterful execution of Late Victorian architectural exuberance. The house was also one of the early works of George E. King, a prominent architect in the late 1800s, well known in Boulder and Leadville. At the time it was built, the house was considered the most architecturally beautiful house in the town of Boulder, and today retains a high level of architectural integrity. More information (PDF, 953 kb).
Boulder County Poor Farm
Boulder vicinity (address restricted)
National Register 9/13/2001, 5BL.378
While use of the property as a private farm dates from 1897, it served as a home for the county’s less fortunate citizens during a period from 1902 through 1918. The farm complex as a whole survives as a reasonably intact collection of agricultural buildings reflecting the typical design, materials, and construction techniques found in Boulder County during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The main house remains a good local example of Queen Anne style architecture. The property is associated with the Agricultural Resources of Boulder County Multiple Property Submission.
Boulder Creek Bridge
Colo. Hwy. 119, Boulder vicinity
National Register 3/11/2003, 5BL.7902
Constructed in a rugged mountain setting over Boulder Creek in 1953, the three span bridge runs for 100 feet, with the main 48-foot span flanked by shorter approach spans. The concrete arched deck girder structure, with steel guardrails, was designed by the U.S. Bureau of Public Roads as part of the agency’s mission to provide access to national forest lands. This property is associated with the Highway Bridges in Colorado Multiple Property Submission.
Boulder Downtown Historic District
National Register 12/3/1980, 5BL.240
Roughly includes the south side of Spruce St. from 10th St. to 16th St., Pearl St. from 9th St. to 16th St., and the north side of Walnut St. from Broadway to 9th St. Also includes the Post Office at 14th and Walnut and the Hotel Boulderado at 13th and Spruce.
Boulder dates its formal beginnings to the establishment of the Boulder Town Company in early 1859. The evolution of the commercial area reflects the changing economic basis of the community since its founding. Through the early years, mining played an important role as Boulder served as a supply and staging center for activities in the foothills and mountains to the west. As mining declined, area agricultural development prompted the building of grain elevators and other agriculture-related businesses. The 1876 founding and continued growth of the University of Colorado contributed much to the steady development of the commercial area. The district contains a variety of architectural styles from the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Queen Anne, Italianate, Romanesque and Classical Revivals, and even Art Deco are characteristic designs of the period.
Boulder Post Office
1905 15th St.
National Register 1/22/1986, 5BL.240.1
Completed in 1910, during James Knox Taylor’s tenure as Supervising Architect, the building is a notable interpretation of Classical and Renaissance Revival styling. There is urban design significance in its relation to the town’s civic center. Listed under US Post Offices in Colorado Thematic Resource.
1125 Pine St.
National Register 2/16/1979, 5BL.365
Designed by architect Thomas MacLaren, the library opened in 1907 and is a fine example of the Neoclassical Revival style.
National Register 1/21/1974, 5BL.362
Built in 1898, the auditorium was designed by Denver architects F.E. Kidder and E.R. Rice. Generations of Boulder residents and visitors have enjoyed the educational, cultural, and entertainment programs held there.
Colorado & Northwestern Railroad Locomotive No. 30
Central Park, south side of Canyon Blvd., between Broadway & 13th St.
State Register 9/9/1998, 5BL.7292
Built in 1898, Locomotive No. 30 is the only surviving locomotive that operated on Boulder County’s Switzerland Trail of America route. The locomotive and its tender also are associated with the Colorado & Southern and the Rio Grande Southern railroads. No. 30 remained in service with the RGS until 1951. It is a well-preserved example of a narrow gauge locomotive manufactured by the Brooks Locomotive Works. The train was moved to the Colorado Railroad Museum in Golden in 2012 but the city plans to move it back to Boulder once a suitable location is found.
Colorado Chautauqua / Chautauqua Park
National Register 3/21/1978, National Historic Landmark 2/10/2006, 5BL.361
During the first part of the 20th century, Chautauquas served as a medium for the dissemination of popular culture. By 1900, after beginning with a group of tents in 1898, fifty cottages occupied the park. The cottages remain virtually intact, and this is the only active Chautauqua located west of the Mississippi.
9th St. between Pleasant & College
National Register 8/1/1997, 5BL.571
Founded in 1870 by Columbia Masonic Lodge No. 14, it is Boulder’s oldest cemetery. The more than 3,000 grave markers represent a variety of styles, materials and degrees of craftsmanship that in many cases reflect the socioeconomic status of those commemorated. Since 1965, the cemetery has been owned by the City of Boulder, and it is administered as a part of the Parks and Recreation Department.
Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad Caboose No. 04990
Central Park, south side of Canyon Blvd., between Broadway & 13th St.
State Register 9/9/1998, 5BL.7294
The caboose is associated with the Denver & Rio Grande and Denver & Rio Grande Western railroads. Built from a boxcar in 1919, it serves as a visual reminder of the importance of narrow gauge railroading to Colorado’s development. The train was moved to the Colorado Railroad Museum in Golden in 2012 but the city plans to move it back to Boulder once a suitable location is found.
Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad Coach No. 280
State Register 9/9/1998, 5JF.6914 (formerly 5BL.7293)
The coach was moved to the Colorado Railroad Museum, near Golden in Jefferson County, in 2001.
First Baptist Church of Boulder
1237 Pine St.
State Register 3/10/2004, National Register 4/14/2004, 5BL.6271
Constructed in 1925-1926, the First Baptist Church of Boulder is an excellent example of Late Gothic Revival architecture. Retaining much of the original materials indicative of this style, including windows, doors, hardware and fixtures, the attention to detail is evident throughout. The church, one of many within a two-block radius, is one of the most intact of this concentrated collection.
885 Arapahoe Ave.
National Register 12/18/1978, 5BL.364
Completed in 1891, the school is a good example of an eclectic design, combining Gothic and Romanesque elements as executed by the architectural firm of Varian and Sterner. The two and one half story building of brick and stone has an irregular plan.
2115 13th St.
National Register 11/3/1994, 5BL.240.41
The Hotel Boulderado was the culmination of the Boulder community’s efforts to fund the construction of a major downtown hotel. William Redding & Son designed the 1907 Mission Revival building. The lobby occupies a large skylighted atrium containing an impressive cherry wood stairway.
Colo. Hwy. 119 near Independence Rd.
National Register 1/26/2005, 5BL.418
The McKenzie Well was the site of the 1901 discovery of the Boulder Oil Field, the first discovery of oil in the multi-state Denver Basin. The field reached its peak production in 1909 with an annual output of 85,000 barrels of oil. The Boulder Oil Field is one of the oldest producing fields in the West and the second oldest oil field in the state of Colorado. The McKenzie Well, also called the McKenzie #1, was drilled in February 1902. This single remaining well was one of the two earliest commercial producers in the field. It was drilled on the site of the McKenzie #1 discovery after that well suffered a mechanical failure prior to its completion a few months.
Mount St. Gertrude Academy
970 Aurora St.
National Register 11/3/1994, 5BL.1471
The academy is associated with the early development of education in Colorado and with the development of Boulder’s University Hill neighborhood. The main building is important architecturally for its Richardsonian Romanesque style and fine workmanship. Alexander Cazin and Luther Hixon designed the original 1892 building and George H. Williamson designed the 1919 addition.
1818 Baseline Rd.
State Register 12/16/2005, 5BL.8232
The Nelson House is an excellent example of Usonian architecture. Designed by Boulder architect James M. Hunter, the 1951 house displays many of the defining elements of the architectural type, such as large eave overhangs, integration of indoor and outdoor space, and an emphasis on horizontality, enhanced by the use of the flat roof and ribbon windows. The house exhibits the typical Usonian application of a private side, usually on the south. The chimney wall, which divides the study and the living room, extends beyond the wall, linking the inside with the outside, again a typical Usonian feature. Architect Frank Lloyd Wright pioneered Usonianism as the path to affordable modern residential architecture. More information (PDF, 657 kb).
Norlin Quadrangle Historic District
University of Colorado Campus
National Register 3/27/1980, 5BL.360
The district is comprised of twelve buildings which form the oldest part of the main campus of the University of Colorado. The buildings, constructed on land donated in 1872 by six leading Boulder residents, reflect a deliberate variety of architectural styles. (Woodruff Women's Study Cottage pictured.)
Northern Colorado Power Company Substation / U.S. Express Building
National Register 5/22/1986, 5BL.875
This small 1908 brick industrial building, composed of a one-story base and a two-story tower, illustrates early power generation systems in Boulder. It is closely linked to the development of electrical power in northern Colorado.
Rock Creek Site
West of Colo. Hwy. 287, on Rock Creek near Boulder
State Register 3/10/1993, 5BL.2712
Excavations at this sealed, multi-component prehistoric site indicated that the cultural deposits remain intact and essentially undisturbed except where exposed by erosion. Components date to the Early Archaic Period, 5500-3000 BC and the Ceramic Period, AD 1-1550.
Squires-Tourtellot House / Malick House
National Register 8/10/1978, 5BL.363
Built in 1865, using native field and river stone, the three-story structure includes additions of wood. It is believed to be Boulder’s oldest residential building.
Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Church of Ryssby
N. 63rd St.
National Register 2/16/1984, 5BL.434
The church was constructed in circa 1981, in what was the Swedish settlement of Ryssby. Although smaller and more humbly appointed, it was patterned after a church in Sweden.
Walker Ranch Historic District
West of Boulder
National Register 6/14/1984; Boundary Increase: National Register 6/29/1988, 5BL.235
Established in 1869, when considered as a whole, the cultural manifestations and the land represent a chapter in the history of the settlement and expansion of Boulder County and the eastern foothills of the Rocky Mountains. The property is associated with the Agricultural Resources of Boulder County Multiple Property Submission. (Photograph ca. 2000)
Martha Weiser House
4020 N. 75th St.
National Register 10/16/2013, 5BL.11943
The 1963 Martha Weiser House is an outstanding example of an architect-designed modern Contemporary residence in Boulder County. Martha "Ricky" Weiser, a local environmental activist and actress, and her husband commissioned family friend and local master architect L. Gale Abels (1927-1995) to design the house among the sandstone outcroppings of what is now the White Rocks State Natural Area in rural Boulder County, around eight miles northeast of the City of Boulder. Many of the house’s architectural elements are direct responses to the surrounding landscape, including the low-pitched butterfly roof, visible roof beams, relatively open floor plan, combination of wood and stone, interior courtyard, large and often unusually shaped window expanses, and deep overhanging eaves. More information (PDF, 2.9 MB).
Woodward-Baird House / Little Gray House
1733 Canyon Blvd.
National Register 2/15/1979, 5BL.366
This circa 1871 residence is one of Boulder’s few surviving examples of early vernacular architecture. As such, it exhibits local traditions in construction and style and reflects the lifestyles of ordinary people of modest means during Boulder’s early development.
Eldora Historic District
Huron, Washington, Klondyke, Eldora Sts.
National Register 10/4/1989, 5BL.758
The district includes surviving examples of the Pioneer Log, Commercial Vernacular, and Rustic Tourist building traditions associated with the mountainous portion of Boulder County. Beginning with a mining boom in 1878, development in Eldora reflected a pattern commonly found in similar communities as mining declined and local economies shifted toward tourism. The property is associated with the Metal Mining and Tourist Era Resources of Boulder County and Mining Industry in Colorado Multiple Property Submissions.
Gold Miner Hotel
601 Klondyke Ave.
National Register 7/3/1997, boundary expansion 8/1/2007; 5BL.758.2
The 1898 two-story portion of the hotel is a well-preserved example of the type of vernacular log construction associated with the early commercial development of Eldora. On the main façade, the original clapboard installed over the squared, rough milled logs is still in place. An historic 1934 one-story log addition extends from the rear. The property is associated with the Metal Mining and Tourist Era Resources of Boulder County Multiple Property Submission. More information (PDF, 104 kb)
Rollinsville & Middle Park Wagon Road - Denver Northwestern & Pacific Railway Hill Route Historic District / Moffat Road
Eldora vicinity, Rollinsville to Winter Park
National Register 9/30/1980; Boundary Increase: National Register 9/23/1997, 5BL.370 / 5GL.10 / 5GA.82
David H. Moffat, one of the most important financiers and industrialists in late 19th and early 20th century Colorado, was associated with the Denver, Northwestern and Pacific Railway which brought the first rail service over the Continental Divide from Denver to Middle Park. Utilizing the 19th century Rollinsville and Middle Park Wagon Road, construction on the railbed over Rollins Pass began in 1903. Trains continued to battle the steep grades and fierce winter storms until the 1928 completion of the Moffat Tunnel eliminated the need for the 34-mile route over Corona Pass. The property is associated with the Railroads in Colorado, 1858-1948 Multiple Property Submission.
Wise Homestead Complex
11580 and 11611 Jasper Road
State Register 6/15/2016, 5BL.13124
The Wise Homestead Complex is important for its long association with providing grain and feed storage, livestock production, and grain production and processing for the Wise Family and the community. Additionally the 1870 Late Victorian style farmhouse along with the outbuildings exhibit architectural and construction techniques employed by farmers with limited means and materials. The medley of vernacular construction and materials reveal the extent to which the area’s farmers made do by recycling building materials, adapting and reusing buildings and structures, and applying do-it-yourself techniques that met restricted budgets or availability of materials while adjusting to changing economic and technological circumstances.
Gold Hill Historic District
Main, Pine, College, Horsfal Sts.
National Register 8/3/1989, 5BL.769
Organized in 1859, Gold Hill was one of Colorado’s earliest mining camps and remains an excellent example of the pattern of settlement and community development within the 19th century metal mining communities of Boulder County. Several examples of Pioneer Log construction remain intact. After 1900, few precious metal ores were recovered in Gold Hill, and the local economy shifted toward tourism during the first decades of the 20th century. The property is associated with the Metal Mining and Tourist Era Resources of Boulder County and Mining Industry in Colorado Multiple Property Submissions.
Church of the Brethern
National Register 1/5/1984, 5BL.422
This circa 1880 church is an important surviving example of vernacular stone construction. The gable roofed structure, of native rough cut stone, laid in random courses, is the oldest Colorado church built by members of the Church of the Brethren.
Jamestown Town Hall
118 Main St.
National Register 7/10/2003, boundary expansion 8/1/2007; 5BL.502
Construction on this simple stone building began in early 1935 with local stonemasons hauling rock out of nearby James Creek. In addition to the Town Board, the building plays host to musicians, school plays, dances, and many other community functions. It is the focal point for community life in this small mountain town. The property is associated with the Metal Mining and Tourist Era Resources of Boulder County Multiple Property Submission.
Boulder Valley Grange No. 131
3400 N. 95th St.
National Register 12/7/1987, 5BL.408
Built in 1900, the hipped roof, clapboard sided hall includes several subsequent additions that maintain consistency of materials and workmanship. The building has enjoyed a long history of service as a community center in the rural portion of eastern Boulder County. The property is associated with the Agricultural Resources of Boulder County Multiple Property Submission.
300 E. Simpson St.
National Register 5/20/1983, 5BL.821
Built in 1892, with funds provided primarily by town founder Mary Miller, this single story building with a steeply pitched roof, served the Lafayette coal mining families as a church meeting hall, hospital, and library. Listed under Lafayette Coal Mining Era Buildings Thematic Resource.
Ewing Family Farmhouse
1915 N. 95th St.
State Register 12/13/1995, 5BL.1995
The 1885 farmhouse, with its adjacent 1907 residence, is associated with the early settlement of rural Boulder County. The farm developed as a small, multi-generational family farm typical of those throughout the county.
209 E. Cleveland St.
National Register 5/20/1983, 5BL.817
Nearly square in plan, with a steeply pitched hip roof, the house was built with enough rooms to accommodate coal miners as boarders, a common practice which helped supplement the owner’s income. Listed under Lafayette Coal Mining Era Buildings Thematic Resource and Mining Industry in Colorado Multiple Property Submission.
600 E. Simpson St.
National Register 5/20/1983, 5BL.823
In 1900, the large two-story Lafayette House opened its doors for business, accepting both overnight guests and boarders. It also provided quarters for Baldwin-Felts detectives who were brought to Lafayette by mine owners to break the strike of 1910-1914. Listed under Lafayette Coal Mining Era Buildings Thematic Resource and Mining Industry in Colorado Multiple Property Submission.
108 E. Simpson St.
National Register 5/20/1983, 5BL.819
409 E. Cleveland St.
National Register 5/20/1983, 5BL.818
Constructed circa 1888, the house is associated with Mary Miller, the founder of the town of Lafayette. In 1884, coal was discovered on the 1280 acre Miller farm. Miller platted the 150 acre townsite in 1888 and named it Lafayette after her late husband. Listed under Lafayette Coal Mining Era Buildings Thematic Resource and Mining Industry in Colorado Multiple Property Submission.
1341 N. 95th Street, Lafayette vicinity
National Register 10/17/2003, 5BL.7260
One of the last remaining examples of farm operations in Boulder County, the Shannon Farm is representative of the shift in agriculture from crop cultivation to dairy and egg production. It was operated for many years by the Shannon brothers who were innovative in their use of a concrete-floored milk room within the barn, meeting sanitary standards twenty-five years before the passage of pasteurization laws in Colorado. Additionally, the Shannon Farm is an intact example of agricultural-related buildings, some of which display excellent craftsmanship, design, and materials in their construction. The property is associated with the Agricultural Resources of Boulder County Multiple Property Submission.
207 E. Cleveland St.
National Register 5/20/1983, 5BL.659
Thomas M. Callahan House
312 Terry St.
National Register 5/16/1985, 5BL.249
Constructed in 1892, this two and one half story Queen Anne style residence’s wood frame is faced with pressed red brick. The foundation is of red, rock faced Lyons sandstone. The second owner, Thomas M. Callahan, was a prominent Longmont retail merchant.
Dickens Opera House
300 Main St.
National Register 7/28/1987, 5BL.268
This 1881 building bears the name of prominent Longmont resident William Henry Dickens. It served as Longmont’s most widely used community center from 1882 through the 1920s and retains much of its original appearance.
East Side Historic District
Bounded by Long’s Peak Ave., Collyer St., 4th Ave. & Emery St.
National Register 10/2/1986, 5BL.1159
The district symbolizes the early period of growth as well as later development that took place on the east side of Longmont. The district sits within the oldest residential area of Longmont and is associated with the "colony" period of the community’s development. During the 1880s and 1890s, it was the place of residence for many of the town’s prominent citizens. Later buildings illustrate neighborhood economic change. With the exodus of many of the wealthy residents to the new, more fashionable west side, the east side evolved into a middle class neighborhood. The district contains the city’s finest examples of the Italianate, Queen Anne, and Edwardian styles of architecture.
15 3rd Ave.
National Register 1/5/1984, 5BL.262
The original facility, constructed in 1889 by John Howard Empson, was destroyed by fire in 1891. The existing building dates from 1901. The cannery was Longmont’s largest employer at the turn of the century and had a positive influence on the local economy for eighty years.
Hoverhome and Hover Farmstead
1303-1309 Hover Rd.
National Register 1/15/1999, 5BL.555
Constructed of brick in 1913, the terra cotta trimmed Tudor Revival style residence was designed by the acclaimed architectural firm of Roeschlaub & Son for the locally prominent family of Charles Lewis Hover. The exterior includes Jacobethan detailing, while the interior’s extensive cabinetry reflects the influence of the Arts & Crafts Movement. The farmstead portion of the site includes several well-preserved, primarily wood frame, buildings and structures typical of those associated with early 20th century farming in the St. Vrain Valley. The property is now owned and maintained by The St. Vrain Historical Society. The property is associated with the Agricultural Resources of Boulder County Multiple Property Submission.
Longmont Carnegie Library
457 4th Ave.
National Register 11/3/1992, 5BL.251
Benjamin C. Viney was the supervising architect for this 1913 one-story building, a simplified version of the Renaissance Revival style. Exterior walls are of light colored brick, and the full basement is of sandstone.
Longmont College (The Landmark)
546 Atwood St.
National Register 8/12/1987, 5BL.1153
The building housed Longmont’s first and only college from 1886 to 1889. It is an imposing, two-story Italianate style structure faced in red brick with a high foundation of rusticated red sandstone. It is the south wing of what was originally designed to be a much larger building.
Longmont Fire Department
667 4th Ave.
National Register 5/16/1985, 5BL.281
This relatively simple 20th century Commercial Style, two-story, brick building exhibits a faint reference to the Colonial Revival style. Built in 1907, the firehouse operated for sixty four years before being remodeled for use as a community center during the mid-1970s.
St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church
470 Main St.
National Register 2/24/1975, 5BL.355
Built in 1881, the red brick building has been painted white. Situated in a relatively undeveloped area when it was built, its setting, in a grove of trees, provides a restful green area in contrast to the adjacent commercial buildings of downtown.
West Side Historic District
Roughly bounded by 5th, Terry, 3rd & Grant
National Register 1/7/1987, 5BL.1209
This district, west of downtown Longmont, incorporates two neighborhoods, Thompson Park and Central School. Residences, reflecting a wide variety of architectural styles, primarily date from 1871 to 1930, with the most intense development occurring between 1900 and 1930.
Denver Elevator / Grain Elevator
Colo. Hwy. 42, near tract 712
National Register 2/14/1986, 5BL.8929
Built in 1908, the elevator is historically and visually the most significant structure associated with the agricultural history of the community. Its frame construction and functional design illustrate an important resource type traditionally associated with agriculture. Listed under Louisville Multiple Resource Area and under Railroads in Colorado, 1858-1948 Multiple Property Submission.
1116 LaFarge St.
National Register 2/14/1986, 5BL.914
The house is a rare brick example of the modest residences constructed by local coal miners and is associated with the town’s Italian heritage. A rear addition, constructed in 1926, housed a spaghetti-making machine used to supplement family income during the summer months of reduced mining activity. Listed under Louisville Multiple Resource Area.
1001 Main St.
National Register 2/14/1986, 5BL.8927
The building is a well-preserved example of a neighborhood grocery. Its typical large-pane display windows and central entrance provide an excellent illustration of this once common late 19th and early 20th century commercial building type. Listed under Louisville Multiple Resource Area.
La Salla House / Wilson House
1124 Main St.
National Register 1/14/1986, 5BL.950
The house is one of the few residences in the community retaining its original outbuildings, making it an important example of a late 19th century urban residential complex. Listed under Louisville Multiple Resource Area.
1006 Pine St.
National Register 2/14/1986, 5BL.8928
The tavern is one of the few historic commercial structures in the community retaining physical integrity. The tavern’s location on Pine Street reflects early ordinances confining saloons to the area between the railroad tracks and Front Street. Listed under Louisville Multiple Resource Area.
National Fuel Company Store
801 Main St.
National Register 1/14/1986, 5BL.8926
Erected as a company store for the National Fuel Company, one of the largest mining concerns in Louisville, it is the building most symbolic of Louisville’s heritage as a coal mining town. It is an excellent example of a false front commercial building. Listed under Louisville Multiple Resource Area.
Petrelli-Del Pizzo House
1016 Main St.
National Register 2/14/1986, 5BL.948
The house is one of the best intact examples of the Queen Anne style as applied to miners’ housing remaining in Louisville. The interior and exterior retain a high degree of integrity. Listed under Louisville Multiple Resource Area.
1024 Grant St.
National Register 2/14/1986, 5BL.942
As one of the best intact examples of vernacular Queen Anne architecture in Louisville, the property illustrates the modest housing erected by local coal miners during the early 20th century. Listed under Louisville Multiple Resource Area.
301 Spruce St.
National Register 2/14/1986, 5BL.856
In a community consisting primarily of modest frame houses, the Robinson House remains as one of Louisville’s largest and most elaborate historic residences. Listed under Louisville Multiple Resource Area.
616 Front St.
National Register 2/14/1986, 5BL.952
The house is one of the best preserved examples of a wood frame vernacular cottage in Louisville. The house type was once a prevalent form constructed for miner’s housing. Listed under Louisville Multiple Resource Area.
Tego Brothers Drugstore / State National Bank of Louisville
700 Main St.
National Register 2/14/1986, 5BL.8925
With its pressed tin siding, cornice treatment and window trim intact, the building is an excellent surviving example of the late 19th century vernacular commercial design once commonly found in small towns. Listed under Louisville Multiple Resource Area.
700 Lincoln St.
National Register 2/14/1986, 5BL.934
The house is a well preserved example of wood frame miner housing. Adding to the property’s significance is the survival of the vegetable garden which supplemented the miner-owner’s income. Listed under Louisville Multiple Resource Area.
First Congregational / Old Stone Church
717 4th Ave.
National Register 12/12/1976, 5BL.357
Built in 1894, the church is one of the oldest unaltered buildings in Lyons. The walls, of Lyons sandstone, are twenty inches thick. The blocks used in construction were hand cut, squared, and laid in irregular courses.
Longmont Power Plant
Old Apple Valley Rd.
National Register 9/10/1987, 5BL.483
The 1911 power plant is located along the St. Vrain River just northeast of the town of Lyons. It is a long, rectangular one-story concrete structure. There are several outbuildings, including three residences on the property.
Lyons Railroad Depot (Lyons Public Library)
400 block of Broadway
National Register 12/2/1974, 5BL.356
Longmont contractor Mark Boyd built the depot in 1885 utilizing native Lyons sandstone. Used first by the narrow gauge Denver, Utah and Pacific Railroad, the depot served passengers and freight until declining traffic brought its closure in the 1940s. A recent addition to the depot facilitates its use as a public library. The property is associated with the Railroads in Colorado, 1858-1948 Multiple Property Submission.
Lyons Sandstone Buildings
US Hwy. 36 & Colo. Hwy. 7
National Register 4/29/1980, 5BL.241
The buildings are associated with the settlement of Boulder County. The buildings are the product of the local sandstone industry. Architects and builders employed Lyons sandstone because of its quality and distinctive red color. Masons used the stone in structures across Colorado, and it was exported as far east as Chicago and New York.
Meadow Park Shelter House
600 Park Dr.
State Register 3/10/1993, 5BL.383
Built in 1933, the shelter’s design is typical of WPA construction. It was constructed with water, sand, and rocks from the nearby river; timber and sheeting from area lumber mills; and labor supplied by the workers of Lyons.
North St. Vrain Creek Bridge
Colo. Hwy. 7
National Register 10/15/2002, 5BL.7899
The 60-foot long single span concrete rigid frame structure crosses North St. Vrain Creek at the southern edge of Lyons. Constructed in 1955 by Lowdermilk Brothers, from a design by the U.S. Bureau of Public Roads, the essentially unaltered bridge serves as an important component along the major access route to Roosevelt National Forest. Listed under Highway Bridges in Colorado Multiple Property Submission.
Fox Mine Office
1226 S. Cherryvale Rd., Marshall vicinity
National Register 2/23/1996, 5BL.460
The 1883 Fox Mine Office Building is associated with coal mining in the Marshall area. Coal mining activities at Marshall were significant in terms of making immediate and lasting contributions to the economic, industrial, and demographic character of the region. The property is associated with the Mining Industry in Colorado Multiple Property Submission.
Fox Stone Barn
S. Cherryvale Rd., one-half mile south of US Hwy. 36, Marshall vicinity
National Register 2/16/1996, 5BL.4125
The circa 1900 Fox Stone Barn is a good example of a method of construction once common in the foothills area of Boulder County. The ready availability of locally quarried sandstone allowed property owners to construct simple stone barns at a time when wood frame barn designs were much more common throughout the state. It is one of the best surviving examples of this barn type in Boulder County. The property is associated with the Agricultural Resources of Boulder County Multiple Property Submission.
1595 S. Cherryvale Rd.
State Register 5/13/1992, 5BL.397
Constructed circa 1900, this wood frame rural schoolhouse, with a T-shaped plan, is now a residence.
East Longs Peak Trail
Rocky Mountain National Park, Meeker Park vicinity
National Register 7/10/2007, 5BL.10344/ 5LR.11413
The trail to the summit of Longs Peak reflects the principles of National Park Service Naturalistic Design from the 1920s through the 1940s. Active tourist use of the trail began in 1873 and continues up until the present day with hundreds of personal accounts repeatedly expressing exhilaration over the scenery and exhaustion from this high-altitude effort. Initially lodge owners maintained the trail and climbers hired local guides to assist in their mountain ascent. Between 1900 and 1906, Enos Mills forged his skills as a public speaker and naturalist while guiding visitors up the trail. He used his guided tours to educate visitors about the value of conserving and preserving the surrounding natural environment. This experience firmly established his reputation as a local mountain expert and he eventually served as the figurehead in the effort to create Rocky Mountain National Park. The upper portion of the trail remains as Mills experienced it during his 304 treks to the granite summit. With the establishment of the park in 1915, the National Park Service took over maintenance of the trail and also offered guides for tourists trekking up this well-known “Fourteener”. The property is associated with the Rocky Mountain National Park and the Historic Park Landscapes in National and State Parks Multiple Property Submissions. (2006 photograph.) More information (PDF, 1.34 MB).
Sandbeach Lake Trail
Rocky Mountain National Park, Meeker Park vicinity
National Register 1/29/2008, 5BL.10292
The trail is associated with the early resort industry and tourism in the Estes Park region, from its construction and initial use in 1910 through 1945, the year in which tourism in the park significantly changed due to increased automobile traffic after World War II. The property is associated with the Rocky Mountain National Park and the Historic Park Landscapes in National and State Parks Resources Multiple Property Submissions. (2005 photograph)
Thunder Lake Patrol Cabin
Rocky Mountain National Park
National Register 1/29/1988, 5BL.2392
Built in 1930, the small, well maintained log cabin is a good example of the National Park Service’s Rustic style design philosophy as implemented at Rocky Mountain National Park during the 1930s. Listed under Rustic style, the ranger cabin has a gabled roof that is covered with wood shingles. The building’s log walls rise from an uncoursed fieldstone foundation. Listed under Rocky Mountain National Park Multiple Resource Area.
Wild Basin House
Rocky Mountain National Park
National Register 1/29/1988, 5BL.2390
Originally built in 1931, the five room one-story Rustic style ranger cabin has a gabled roof that is covered with wood shingles. The building’s log walls rise from an uncoursed fieldstone foundation. Listed under Rocky Mountain National Park Multiple Resource Area. (1982 photograph.)
Wild Basin Ranger Station & House
Rocky Mountain National Park
National Register 1/29/1988, 5BL.2391
This one-story, duplex-like Rustic style log building was constructed in 1932. It is divided into a three room ranger station and a four room seasonal residence. The foundation is concrete, and the gabled roof is covered with wood shingles. Listed under Rocky Mountain National Park Multiple Resource Area. (1982 photograph.)
National Register 12/22/2011, 5BL.482
The 1901 Cardinal Mill is significant for engineering and industry as an outstanding example of a concentration facility as defined in the Mining Industry in Colorado Multiple Property Listing, and Amendment to Metal Mining and Tourist-Era Resources of Boulder County Multiple Property Documentation Form (MPDF). The mill was important to western Boulder County, contributing to a highly productive tungsten ore operation until 1942. Additionally, the Mill is architecturally significant as an excellent example of a vernacular concentration mill common in the Rocky Mountains between 1901 and 1940. The building is vernacular in that it was not designed by a professional architect and was instead constructed with available materials and planned in the field to meet specific needs of the operation in the mountain environment. Overall, the building retains character-defining features including the stair step roofline, profile, and plan typical of Rocky Mountain ore concentration mills, few of which remain intact.
Rocky Mountain Mammoth Mine
National Register 7/6/2010, 5BL.5601
The Rocky Mountain Mammoth Mine is significant for its association with the mining industry in the mountains of Boulder County. As a telluride gold ore producing mine, the Rocky Mountain Mammoth contributed to a major mining revival experienced in the Magnolia Mining district and elsewhere in Boulder County in the late 1890s and early 1900s. It is an excellent example of a late-nineteenth-century small shaft mine. The property meets the registration requirements of one property type delineated in the Multiple Property Documentation Form (MPDF): The Mining Industry in Colorado and Amendment to Metal Mining and Tourist Era Resources of Boulder County.
7251 Nimbus Rd.
State Register 5/16/2001, 5BL.395
Located on just under two acres of land donated by early settler Jerome Gould, burials at the cemetery approach a total of 300. The original by-laws of the Niwot Cemetery Association were adopted on January 4, 1884. After a mid-20th century period of inactivity, the association was reactivated in 1985, and its members continue to actively maintain the cemetery. The approximately 150 grave markers on the site reflect evolving tastes in funerary art as a well as the wide-ranging socioeconomic status of those buried there. In spite of recent population growth in the area, the cemetery’s rural character remains intact.
The Lodge at Los Lagos
State Register 3/12/2003, 5BL.9111 / 5GL.1411
The 1902 Lodge at Los Lagos Ranch is a rare example of a two-story Rustic style summer dwelling. While log cabins dotted the Colorado mountains, two-story log dwellings with amenities such as electricity, a Tiffany and Co. stained glass chandelier, and diamond paned windows were unusual. The main building retains nearly all of its original design and materials, both exterior and interior, and includes multiple intact log outbuildings such as a playhouse, a privy, and a barn.
Little Church in the Pines
414 Gold Run Rd.
National Register 8/3/1989, 5BL.255
Built ca. 1902-1908, the wood frame church is part of a small cluster of buildings remaining from Salina’s late 19th and early 20th century mining boom. The original portion of the building has a front gabled roof, and a bell tower entry extends from the façade. The foundation is stone, and the walls are faced with narrow clapboard siding. Circa 1930s and 1950s additions are found at the rear. Listed under Metal Mining and Tourist Era Resources of Boulder County Multiple Property Submission.
536 Gold Run Rd.
National Register 8/3/1989, 5BL.2676
Coal Creek Agricultural Site (Grasso Park)
122 E. William St.
State Register 3/11/1998, 5BL.5659
The collection of structures on the site includes a root cellar; a circa 1904 house; a barn; a privy; and a circa 1895 house. When viewed together, they illustrate the variety of construction methods and materials found in buildings associated with such small agricultural operations during the late 19th and early 20th century.
Wall Street Assay Office
6352 Four Mile Canyon Dr., Salina Star Route
National Register 8/3/1989; Boundary Increase, Area across road from Wall St., 1/28/1992, 5BL.2674
The circa 1901 building was constructed as part of Charles Caryl’s ambitious development plan for his Gold Extraction Mining and Supply Company, which he founded in 1897. The primarily stone two-story building is topped with a steeply pitched metal covered hipped roof. The upper portion of the walls and the window trim are of brick. The structure is one of only a few remaining intact buildings associated with the history of precious metal mining in Boulder County. Listed under Metal Mining and Tourist Era Resources of Boulder County Multiple Property Submission.
Denver, Boulder & Western Railway / Switzerland Trail of America
Ward to Eldora
National Register 9/18/1980, 5BL.358.1
In 1881, the Greeley, Salt Lake and Pacific Railroad laid rails from Boulder west to the town of Sunset, and in the 1890s the successor Colorado and North Western completed the line to Ward. Until the collapse of the local mining economy after World War I, the railroad served the area’s mines and mining community. At its abandonment in 1919, the railroad operated under the name Denver, Boulder & Western. Listed under Railroads in Colorado, 1858-1948 Multiple Property Submission.
Adjacent to Duck Lake, 4 miles north of Ward
National Register 12/27/1978, 5BL.359
The circa 1890 Modoc Mill is a good example of industrial architecture associated with Boulder County’s mining history. This concentration mill of wood and metal reaches four stories in height. The uppermost story of hewn logs received the ore. Here gravity bins held the ore until it was fed into a crusher and the stamping apparatus below. The 18 foot high stamping apparatus, manufactured by Griffen and Wedge of Zanesville, Ohio, consists of 30 stamps each weighing 950 pounds that are arranged in three banks of ten. Both the mill and nearby mine closed for the last time in 1920. The property is associated with the Mining Industry in Colorado Multiple Property Submission.
Ward Congregational Church
National Register 8/3/1989, 5BL.2672
Dating from 1894, the rectangular one-story, wood frame church is built into a hillside with its side walls barely visible from the street. The steeply pitched front gabled roof is topped with a bell tower. The walls are clapboard, and there are decorative bargeboards held in place with rosette-shaped fasteners. Lancet windows flank the entry door, and a round window is in the gable end. Listed under Metal Mining and Tourist Era Resources of Boulder County Multiple Property Submission.
Ward School (Ward Town Hall and Post Office)
National Register 8/3/1989, 5BL.2673