Sacred Heart School
2830 Lawrence St.
State Register 3/8/2000, 5DV.997
Constructed in 1890, the Romanesque Revival style building is a good example of a late 19th century urban educational facility. Classrooms were located so as to optimize ventilation and natural lighting, and the building’s solid brick construction and elaborate detailing reflected the perceived importance of education. High school classes met in the building until 1939, and it continued to serve the elementary student population until 1979. The school was noted for its performing arts program, and the open, centrally-located auditorium/gymnasium was often utilized by the community.
San Rafael Historic District
Bounded by Washington, E. 26th Ave., Downing & E. 20th Ave.
National Register 6/20/1986, 5DV.202
Houses in this middle-class residential neighborhood date from the early 1870s to the 1920s. Of architectural interest is the chronological progression of the district from early wood frame and Italianate style buildings to large and elegant Queen Anne houses. The district also includes several terrace-type apartment buildings, two-story carriage houses, and six churches. (Calvary Baptist Church, 2011 photograph.)
George Schleier Mansion
1665 Grant St.
National Register 11/17/1977, 5DV.138
Denver architect Frank E. Edbrooke was commissioned to build this mansion in the 1880s for George Schleier, a successful Denver businessman. The house is built of red sandstone in the Queen Anne style, and its most distinguishing feature is an onion domed tower. There are a total of eight ornate fireplaces, and the use of elaborate plaster composition ornamentation is evident throughout the interior.
1544 Race St.
National Register 11/14/1979, 5DV.150
Designed in 1890 by William Lang, an important Denver architect, the house was purchased in 1897 by Timothy S. Schlessinger, a prominent local businessman. The house is constructed of pseudo-rusticated brick, which may have been specially made for Lang. The design is eclectic, expressing the architect’s love of complexity and contradiction. There are several stained glass windows and exterior decorative carvings with floral and leaf motifs.
George Schmidt House / Brewmaster’s House Zang Brewery
2345 7th St.
National Register 10/29/1976, 5DV.200
Designed by William Quayle, this High Victorian Queen Anne style home dates from the late 1880s. The original owner was George Schmidt, brewmaster for the Zang Brewery. The two-story house is built of red brick and has a rusticated stone foundation. The interior features a carved oak stairway, hand-grained woodwork and doors, carved hardwood mantels, and built-in cabinets.
Sheedy Mansion (Grant Street Mansion)
1115 Grant St.
National Register 8/4/2004, 5DV.740
The 1892 Sheedy Mansion, with its associated carriage house, is a good example of late Victorian era eclecticism, combining the massing and roof forms typical of Queen Anne residential architecture with Richardsonian Romanesque detailing, specifically in its window treatments. The Sheedy Mansion is one of the best surviving examples of its type and period of construction. Two recognized masters in the field of architecture, Erasmus Theodore Carr and William Pratt Feth, designed the residence. Having achieved prominence for their work in Kansas, the Sheedy Mansion is the only known Colorado commission for either architect. The building conveys a sense of the residential lifestyle associated with Denver’s most prosperous families. Its original owner, Dennis Sheedy, was one of Denver’s most successful business leaders through his management of the Denver Dry Goods department store and his positions in the city’s banking and mining enterprises. More information (PDF, 2.43 MB).
Sherman Street Historic District
1000 block of Sherman St. (partial)
National Register 10/27/2004, 5DV.9154
The Sherman Street Historic District is an integral part of the development of the urban apartment in Denver. In particular, the district consists of an intact collection of three-story walk-up apartments built during the period 1929 to 1950. The district contains at least seven, and possibly eight, apartment buildings designed by prominent local architect Charles Dunwoody Strong. Though relatively unrecognized in the ranks of Denver’s modernist architects, Strong’s body of work includes important contributions to the city’s evolving modernist interpretations of Art Deco, Art Modern and International Style architecture. The buildings exhibit Charles Strong’s stylistic progression from 1936 to 1950. (2004 photograph.) More information (PDF, 1.5 MB).
Sixth Avenue Community Church
3250 East Sixth Avenue
National Register 12/17/2010, 5DV.10975
The 1925 Sixth Avenue Community Church is an excellent example of Mission style architecture as applied to an ecclesiastical building. The prominent hipped roof square tower with iron balconies, curvilinear shaped parapets, and rounded arched windows are the most character defining features of the style found on the church. Other features of the style include a gabled roof, terra cotta decorative elements, and overhanging eaves with decoratively cut exposed rafters. The church is the work of distinguished Colorado architect William Norman Bowman whose work includes over 35 known buildings in the state.
Frank I. Smith House
1435 Stuart St.
National Register 7/19/1982, 5DV.654
The Frank I. Smith House is one of a series of six designed by prominent Denver architects William Lang and Marshall Pugh for real estate developer Ralph Voorhees. For many years, the house was the home of Frank Smith, his wife, and their six children. The architects were influenced by the Richardsonian Romanesque style in the design of this two-story stone building. The most distinctive features of the 1891 residence are the 2½-story entry bay with arched entry and the square corner tower. The property is associated with the West Colfax Subdivision Historic Structures Thematic Resource.
Frank L. Smith House
1801 York St.
National Register 9/26/1985, 5DV.907
Frank Smith, an officer in the Mine and Smelter Supply Co. co-founded by his father, Eben Smith, commissioned the residence and adjoining carriage house in 1902. Prominent Denver architect William Fisher, in partnership with Daniel Huntington, designed the house in the French Eclectic style. The high quality materials, craftsmanship and attention to decorative detail became a Fisher hallmark.
Milo A. Smith House
1360 Birch St.
National Register 7/3/1997, 5DV.5178
Built in 1890 by Milo A. Smith, an early developer of Denver subdivisions and streetcar lines, the residence exhibits an interesting mix of architectural detailing, apparently resulting from a series of modifications made by Smith in order to update and showcase the property. Strong elements of the original Queen Anne styling remain in the multi-gabled roof with its elaborately trimmed gable ends.
Pierce T. Smith House
1751 Gilpin St.
National Register 9/20/1984, 5DV.1487
Architect Glen W. Huntington designed this house in 1891 for Denver dentist Pierce T. Smith. The house exemplifies the basic form of the Queen Anne style in residential architecture.
Smith’s Chapel (Denver Inner City Parish)
912 Galapago St.
State Register 12/8/2004, 5DV.27
The 1882 Smith’s Chapel is notable for its extensive use of Castle Rock-quarried rhyolite. Denver architects and builders used rhyolite both as a primary structural stone and for foundation and architectural accents during the late 19th century. Smith’s Chapel is an early example of the volcanic stone used as a primary structural material with sandstone detailing. The chapel is a good local example of Gothic Revival style ecclesiastical architecture in Denver. Though the building suffered some loss of integrity through the replacement of the original windows and doors, and the construction of a major addition, the overall original exterior design remains visible in its plan, masonry construction, and pointed arch window and door openings. More information (PDF, 986 kb).
Smith’s Irrigation Ditch / City Ditch / Big Ditch
National Register 10/8/1976, 5DV.181.3
The approximately 27-mile long irrigation channel was first surveyed and constructed between 1860 and 1867. The ditch began in Waterton Canyon, located southwest of Denver, as a diversion of the South Platte River and ultimately terminated in City Park’s Ferril Lake. In addition to supporting the efforts of local farmers, water flowing through the ditch and its laterals enhanced the development of Denver’s extensive park and parkway system and contributed to the planting of trees, lawns, and gardens within the residential neighborhoods along its path. Although pipelines now carry much of the flow through Denver, the 1¼-mile segment within Washington Park the ditch remains opens as an important feature of the landscape.
South Marion Street Parkway
S. Marion St. Pkwy. from E. Virginia to E. Bayaud Ave. at Downing
National Register 9/17/1986, 5DV.5329
George Kessler and Saco R. DeBoer are credited with the design of the half-mile parkway executed between 1909 and 1913. The half-mile South Marion and Downing Street Parkways serve as a connection between the Speer Boulevard/Cherry Creek corridor and Washington Park. Both are heavily planted with flowering trees and form an important line in the Flower Trail developed in the Denver park and parkway system by Saco R. DeBoer. The property is associated with the Denver Park and Parkway System Thematic Resource.
South Platte River Bridge
National Register 10/15/2002, 5DV.7072
Joined and widened in 1970, the 1951 steel girder ribbed deck arch bridges are rare surviving structures associated with the early development of the Valley Highway, the predecessor to I-25 through the Denver’s central corridor. Crossing the South Platte River and a bike trail to the east of Sports Authority Field at Mile High, the five spans run for a total of 384 feet, with the main span running for 173 feet. The structures were designed by Crocker & Ryan, fabricated by Midwest Steel & Iron Works, and constructed by Pete Seerie, Inc. Listed under the Highway Bridges in Colorado Multiple Property Submission. More information (PDF, 1.67 MB).
1444 Stuart St.
National Register 7/19/1982, 5DV.655
The Spangler House is one of a series of six designed by prominent Denver architects William Lang and Marshall Pugh for real estate developer Ralph Voorhees. For many years, the house was home to Jane Spangler, widow of former Arapahoe County sheriff Mike Spangler. She moved to this house in the late 1890s to be near her sister, Mrs. Ralph Voorhees. The architects were influenced by the Romanesque style in the design of this 1891 2½-story stone and shingle-sided building. The entry to the house is through a porch with a round arched entry of large radiating stone voussoirs. The property is associated with the West Colfax Subdivision Historic Structures Thematic Resource.
Speer from W. Colfax to Downing
National Register 9/17/1986, 5DV.5330
This key 1.1-mile diagonal transit way, designed by the nationally-known planner George Kessler, symbolizes and commemorates, in planning, design, construction, embellishment, and planting, the City Beautiful movement in Denver. It also conveys the political leadership and citizen support which made the Denver park and parkway system the city’s historic design legacy. Embellishments, in addition to the street tree and median plantings, include the historic Cherry Creek (set within retaining walls in the median of the boulevard), a number of bridges which cross Cherry Creek, and several triangular grassed and treed areas (called the Speer Boulevard triangles) adjacent to the boulevard. Construction took place between 1906 and 1918. The design is credited to both George Kessler and Saco R. DeBoer. The property is associated with the Denver Park and Parkway System Thematic Resource.
Spratlen-Anderson Wholesale Grocery Company (Edbrooke Lofts)
1450 Wynkoop St.
National Register 12/3/1985, 5DV.47.71
Designed by Frank E. Edbrooke, the five-story 1905 warehouse received an additional floor in 1911. The building is constructed of molded and pressed brick and reflects elements of the Neoclassical Revival style in its massing and trim. Founded in 1897, Spratlen-Anderson, was a successful Denver wholesale grocery business that expanded into the building upon its completion and remained there until the company was dissolved in 1923. The subsequent owner, Davis Brothers Drug Company, occupied the building until 1957.
St. Andrews Episcopal Church
2015 Glenarm Pl.
National Register 3/18/1975, 5DV.116
St. Andrews Episcopal Church, originally named Trinity Memorial Church, was designed in the Gothic style in 1909 by architect Ralph Adams Cram. It is a small L-shaped structure built of brick with limestone lintels and a slate roof. The exterior is ornamented with wooden Gothic tracery on the windows and porches. Saint Andrews became famous as a teaching center for churches throughout the country and many ceremonial practices which were introduced there.
St. Dominic’s Church
3005 W. 29th Ave.
National Register 11/1/1996, 5DV.606
The 1926 St. Dominic’s Church, designed by noted Denver architect Robert Willison, is significant as an important local example of ecclesiastical architecture executed in the Late Gothic Revival style. On the interior, the scale, proportion and architectural relationships have not been diminished by modifications made to accommodate the congregation’s evolving needs.
St. Elizabeth’s Church
1062 11th St.
National Register 12/1/1969, 5DV.128
St. Elizabeth’s Church was designed by Brother Adrian, O.F.M. of the Sacred Heart province, in the German Gothic style in 1898. It is constructed of rhyolite quarried at Castle Rock. The interior features carved wooden statues from Germany and painted and stained glass windows given by early parishioners. St. Elizabeth’s parish, the second Catholic parish to be established in Denver, was created in 1878.
St. Elizabeth’s Retreat Chapel / Oakes Home for Consumptives
2825 W. 32nd Ave.
National Register 5/24/1976, 5DV.129
The chapel was originally part of the Oakes Home for Consumptives founded by Reverend Frederick W. Oakes who served as its first and only superintendent and chaplain. Architect Frederick G. Sterner designed the 1903 building. The tuberculosis home closed in 1934 and the original buildings comprising the complex were razed in 1975 to allow for new construction, leaving the chapel as the only original structure. The complex claims to be the first home for tubercular patients in Colorado and the second in the nation.
St. Ignatius Catholic Church
E. 23rd Ave. at York St.
State Register 11/9/1994, National Register 12/23/1994, 5DV.7028
Designed by Denver architects Frank Frewen and Frederick Mountjoy, the 1924 Catholic church represents their only known use of the Gothic Tudor style. The high quality of its antique stained glass windows and the spectacular hand-painted stenciling add to the impressive character of the interior.
St. John’s Cathedral
1313 Clarkson St.
National Register 8/1/1975, 5DV.171
This cathedral was constructed between 1905 and 1911. It was designed in the Gothic Revival style by architects Tracy and Swartwout of New York, winners of a national competition for its design. The building is constructed of dressed Indiana limestone, and there are two towers reaching 100 feet in height, which contain bells cast in Westphalia, Germany. The cathedral represents a continuation of the First Episcopal Parish, originating in Denver in 1860.
St. Joseph’s Polish Roman Catholic Church
517 E. 46th Ave.
National Register 4/21/1983, 5DV.782
The Gothic style church was constructed in 1902 to serve members of the Polish immigrant community living in the early Denver suburb of Globeville. The walls are of brick, the window and door openings are set in pointed arches, and the front gabled roof is steeply pitched. The façade is distinguished by a central narthex, which includes a tall bell tower that is topped with a conical spire. St. Joseph’s was the twelfth Catholic parish in Denver, and it also served members of the Croatian and Slovenian families living in the area.
St. Joseph’s Roman Catholic Church
National Register 6/3/1982, 5DV.25
Built in 1888-89, this church is constructed of painted brick in the Late Victorian Gothic style. Gothic details are also reflected in the interior’s system of pointed arched intersecting trusses and interior columns that are decorated with ornamental millwork. The Church is located in the historic working class Westside neighborhood, and as such, represented an important institution to its residents.
St. Mark’s Parish Church
National Register 9/18/1975, 5DV.170
The 1889 St. Mark’s Parish Church was designed by Denver architects Lang and Pugh. The exterior of the church is faced in buff Longmont sandstone and the interior is finished in rough-hewn native stone, paneled oak, and black ash trim. Its design is best described as Gothic Revival, although a tower and turret at the front entry were removed in the early 1950s due to structural problems. In addition to religious services and ceremonies, the Parish also sponsored musical and dramatic performances that became popular social gatherings. More information (PDF, 3.79 MB).
St. Patrick Mission Church
National Register 11/14/1979, 5DV.109
The St. Patrick Mission Church complex, comprised of the church, rectory, and an arcaded connecting walkway, is constructed of smooth-dressed buff stone. Reflecting the Mission style, the roof is covered with red barrel tiles, and the domes which cap the towers are of painted sheet metal. The complex, designed by the Denver architectural firm of Wagner and Manning, was begun in 1907 and completed in 1910. At the time of its construction, the Mission style was considered unusual in the city of Denver, although reflective of its western character.
St. Paul’s English Evangelical Lutheran Church
1600 Grant St.
National Register 9/30/1997, 5DV.2687
Completed in 1926, the Gothic Revival style building, of dark red brick and precast concrete, was designed by the architectural firm of Richter and Eiler of Reading, Pennsylvania, specialists in the design of Lutheran churches. The church’s location, less than two blocks from the State Capitol building, has resulted in the building serving both as a place of worship and as a community center.
St. Philomena’s Catholic Parish School
940 Fillmore St.
National Register 5/4/2011, 5DV.10941
The 1924 Saint Philomena’s Catholic Parish School is architecturally significant as an excellent example of the Collegiate Gothic style. The prominent square towers with cast stone crenellation, arched entrances, stepped brick pilasters with sloping cast stone coping, multi-paned windows and cast stone ornamentation are some of the most character-defining features of the style found on the school. A sensitive 1964 addition sits at the north end of the school. The school and addition are the work of distinguished Colorado architect John K. Monroe whose work includes over sixteen known buildings in the state. The school is also important for its long association of educating local Denver area schoolchildren since it opened in 1924, which it continues today for K-12 students.
St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church / Church of the Holy Redeemer>
2552 Williams St.
State Register 8/31/2006, 5DV.7024
Recently arrived Caucasian English immigrants collaborated with African Americans fleeing racial violence in the South to form the Church of the Holy Redeemer in 1892. From their 1931 move to this site, the building’s strategic location in a racially charged section of the city allowed the integrated congregation to set a continual standard of racial tolerance, courage, and service to the community. As originally constructed, the 1910 sanctuary of the then St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church is a significant example of the Gothic Revival style as designed by the prominent Denver architectural firm of William E. Fisher and Arthur A. Fisher. St. Stephen’s is one of only three churches known to have been designed by the Fishers in Denver. More information (PDF, 387 kb).
St. Thomas Theological Seminary (St. John Vianney Theological Seminary)
1300 S. Steele St.
National Register 7/27/1989, 5DV.729
The St. Thomas Theological Seminary is comprised of a complex of buildings generally grouped around a quadrangle. The first building was outgrown fifteen years after its construction in 1908. The subsequent Mediterranean Revival style buildings designed by Jules J.B. Benedict, a well known Denver architect, include exceptional brickwork with multi-colored patterned designs decorating both the interior and exterior of several buildings. Benedict apparently intended to reflect the Lombard architecture associated with northern Italy, and the resulting buildings are among the finest examples of this style in the Denver area. The property is associated with The Architecture of Jules Jacques Benois Benedict in Colorado Multiple Property Submission.
1321-1333 E. 10th Ave.
National Register 7/15/1999, 5DV.5743
After retiring in 1938 from a distinguished career as a medical researcher at Johns Hopkins University, Dr. Florence Rena Sabin returned to Denver and established her home in the Stanley Arms. While living and working there, she authored Colorado’s 1947 health legislation, created a program of public health education, and brought about a major reduction in Denver’s tuberculosis mortality rate. The building is an excellent example of early International Style architecture in Colorado. Denver architect Walter H. Simon designed the building in 1937, incorporating Moderne influences with the International Style
Stanley School / Montclair School (Paddington Station Preschool)
1301 Quebec St.
National Register 2/13/2007, 5DV.9942
The Stanley School (also known as the Montclair School) is associated with the educational history of Denver's Montclair neighborhood. Except for a few years in the early 1980s, the building has been used continuously as a school since its 1891 opening. After the city of Denver annexed Montclair in 1902, the building became part of the Denver Public School District. Several neighborhood generations received their elementary education at the school, which included one of Denver's earliest public kindergarten programs. Denver architect John J. Huddart designed the original building and Denver architect David Owen Tryba planned the 1991 addition. (2006 photograph.) More information (PDF, 124 kb).
National Register 6/3/1982, 5DV.341
The mansion is one of the few surviving examples of the work of architect Harry T.E. Wendell. He designed the house in 1896 for the John E. Stearns family. The building is one of the few in the Capitol Hill neighborhood showing the influence of Spanish/Mission style architecture. Stearns served as president of the Mountain Electric Company until his death in 1920. More information (PDF, 2.83 MB).
Robert W. Steele Gymnasium
3914 King St.
State Register 11/9/1994, 5DV.4629
The 1914 building represents the impact of the early 20th century Progressive Movement in Denver. The gymnasium was the idea of the Reverend Walter S. Rudolph and his wife, Hattie. The facility was erected to house recreational and social activities for children as a means of filling their leisure time and preventing juvenile delinquency. The building was named for Colorado Supreme Court Justice Robert Steele. Steele took a special interest in juvenile justice.
Stonemen’s Row Historic District
South side 28th Ave. between Umatilla & Vallejo St.
National Register 1/5/1984, 5DV.1480
The eight duplexes which comprise Stonemen’s Row form a small, but unusually harmonious, historic district. They were built between 1891 and 1893, by newly prosperous stone workers as investment properties. Their façades reflect the heaviness and weight characteristic of the Romanesque Revival style. (2000 photograph.)
1530 16th St.
National Register 2/17/1978, 5DV.47.65
The 1906 Sugar Building is located in the heart of Denver’s early warehouse district. Designed by the architectural firm of Gove and Walsh as a four-story warehouse, a two-story addition was added in 1912, also by Gove and Walsh. The building forms a basic cube, with exterior walls of tan colored brick ornamented with terra cotta. The building originally housed the Great Western Sugar Company, a leader in the sugar beet industry, and a major influence on the economy of Colorado.
Bounded by Speer Blvd., W. 8th Ave., Delaware & Elati Sts.
National Register 9/17/1986, 5DV.24
The gardens are both a neighborhood park and an embellishment for Speer Boulevard. George Kessler and Saco R. DeBoer both had a hand in the design executed in 1909-11. The park incorporates many of the key conventions of late 19th century and early 20th century park design, including an informal forested vale which merges into an open, symmetrical space which in turn functions visually as a formal manor house, garden-like setting for Denver’s West High School. The property is associated with the Denver Park and Parkway System Thematic Resource.
Swallow Hill Historic District
Bounded by Clarkson St., E. 17th Ave., Downing St. & E. Colfax Ave.
National Register 1/7/1988, 5DV.2683
The district is architecturally significant for its collection of Queen Anne residences designed by many of Denver’s prominent late 19th and early 20th century architects. Among those represented are Lang and Pugh, Balcomb and Rice, Varian and Sterner, James Murdock, A.M. Stuckart, and Frank Edbrooke.
Tallmadge & Boyer Block
National Register 10/21/1982, 5DV.663
Constructed in 1891, the first floor of the three-story building was divided into six commercial spaces, and there were two floors of apartments above. The façade is of pressed brick with Manitou red sandstone trim. Charles E. Tallmadge was an early resident of Denver and played a part in the city’s early real estate boom. John C. Boyer was a lumber company foreman, and the Tallmadge and Boyer Block was one of their real estate ventures.
1290 Williams St.
National Register 1/11/1976, 5DV.180
Designed in 1898 by architect Frederick Sterner, the three-story Georgian Revival style house is constructed of red brick. Except for the kitchen and baths, all thirteen rooms include a fireplace. Circa 1897 Daniel W. Tears, for whom the house was built, came to Denver for his health. The Tears were prominent socialites and he was Associate Counsel for the New York Central Railroad. Ida Cruse McFarlane, the wife of a later owner, was one of the founders of the Central City Festival.
931 14th St.
National Register 1/26/2005, 5DV.522
The 1929 Telephone Building is important for its association with the growth and development of telephone communications in Denver and the Rocky Mountain region. The building served as the headquarters of the seven-state region Mountain States Telephone and Telegraph (later Mountain Bell) from 1929 until 1984. Architecturally, the building is one of the finest examples in the country of the American Perpendicular style, designated by the Bell system as "Modern American Perpendicular Gothic." The distinctive characteristics of the style reflected in the building are the expressed verticality, steel framework, terra cotta sheathing, varied setbacks, continuous piers, stylized towers, recessed spandrels, and Gothic Revival style ornament. The building is the largest and most important commercial design of prominent Denver architect William N. Bowman. Bowman designed the building in conjunction with local Bell system engineers and it was erected by local builders and craftsman utilizing a variety of products from around the state. The building’s design took advantage of the setback provision of the city’s zoning ordinance, permitting buildings to rise higher than the nominal height limit of twelve stories if higher stories were setback from the wall-plane.
The building exhibits high artistic values, reflected in the intricate planning, lavish detail, and high quality craftsmanship displayed in its interior and exterior design. The terra cotta integral to the design of the building is among the finest crafted in Denver incorporates Gothic Revival design motifs, and includes mottled and polychromatic components, ornament in varied relief, extensive decorated panels, ornate arches, and massive piers. The Gothic Revival influence is echoed on the interior, which also includes aesthetic elements incorporating the history of telephone service in the state and representing emblems of the telephone company. The interior reflects the influence of noted Denver artist Allen True who selected color palettes, designed fixtures, and advised the architect regarding the choice of materials. The artist believed that beautiful surroundings had a positive psychological effect on workers, and he was a leader in the city in advocating carefully planned color schemes and artistic decoration for large office buildings. As part of this effort, True executed thirteen murals with communications and telephonic themes which grace the public spaces of the building. These murals are considered among True’s most outstanding work.
Finally, the Telephone Building is important in the area of engineering, for the technological advances embodied in its composition and construction. The architect and engineers worked in conjunction to design a building which would structurally meet the challenging practical needs of the telephone company while also serving aesthetic considerations. The building was erected to house the special equipment making possible the introduction of telephone dial service to Denver. The building was designed with an innovative independently fireproof core rising from the subbasement to the roof. The property is associated with the Historic Resources of Downtown Denver Multiple Property Submission.
National Register 10/10/1978, 5DV.144
This temple was the first major Jewish synagogue in the Denver area when it was built in 1882. Designed by prominent architect Willoughby J. Edbrooke, and supervised in Denver by his brother Frank E. Edbrooke, its original appearance was eclectic Victorian with Moorish and Romanesque details. A fire destroyed most of the building in 1897, and the brick and stone trimmed temple was rebuilt with simplified and more subtle detailing on a design by Frank Edbrooke.
Temple Emanuel / First Southern Baptist Church (Temple Events Center)
1595 Pearl St.
National Register 11/25/1987, 5DV.715
Temple Emanuel’s eastern Islamic architecture is unusual in Denver and the region as a whole. The original 1898-99 building was designed by John J. Humphreys. A 1924 addition was designed by his apprentice, Thielman Robert Wieger. Faced with buff-colored brick, the façade features minaret-like towers with walkways and Turkish-style copper domes. Geometric and floral motifs are prevalent design elements on both the exterior and interior.
51 Grape St.
National Register 3/28/2003, 5DV.8272
Architect Percival Goodman designed both the original 1956 building for Temple Emanuel and the 1960 sanctuary addition. Goodman was an internationally respected architect, known for his use of modern design in Jewish synagogues. He wrote extensively on synagogue design and became the most influential and prolific synagogue architect of his time. Temple Emanuel is the only example of Goodman’s work in Colorado. It is also one of Goodman’s largest and most sophisticated examples of his work in the Usonian style. (2000 photograph.)
H.H. Thomas House
2104 Glenarm Pl.
National Register 5/30/1975, 5DV.134
H.H. Thomas, a businessman dealing in real estate and loans, hired the popular architect, William Quayle, to design and build his home during the 1870s. Its styling includes both High Victorian and Second Empire elements. The façade of the two-story red brick residence features a large open porch. Louis C. McClure, a prominent Colorado landscape photographer, occupied the house from 1883 well into the 20th century.
Tilden School for Teaching Health
W. Fairview Pl. and Grove St.
National Register 9/7/1995, 5DV.2768
The Tilden School for Teaching Health is an example of an early 20th century sanitarium utilizing nontraditional health techniques. The school was founded and operated by Dr. John Henry Tilden who developed and widely published the health techniques employed there. The school is representative of early 20th century medical facility design as expressed by Denver architect Harry W.J. Edbrooke.
Tivoli Brewery Company
1320-1348 10th St.
National Register 4/11/1973, 5DV.119
The main building of the Tivoli Brewery complex is a four-story brick structure built in 1882. It is joined to a High Victorian Italianate style tower building, constructed between 1890-1891, by a shallow three-story brick overpass that forms a covered entry to the courtyard between the two buildings. The complex housed the Milwaukee Brewery Company, an early Denver brewery. In 1901 the company merged with the Union Brewing Company to form the Tivoli-Union Brewery Company. With the exception of a break during Prohibition, the plant operated continuously until the mid-1960s. More information (PDF, 2.19 MB).
1765 Gilpin St.
State Register 12/9/1992, 5DV.2452
The Geddis and Seerie Stone Company built the Townsend House in 1892. Primarily involved in large contracts, including the Brown Palace Hotel and various public buildings, the firm built few residences, and fewer yet still stand. Constructed of double-glazed red brick with sandstone accents and foundation, the house is an example of Denver’s architectural transition from Victorian era styles to the Neoclassical.
Tramway Building (Teatro Hotel)
1100 14th St.
National Register 1/5/1978, 5DV.140
The 1911 red brick office building and attached streetcar barn served as the headquarters of the city’s public transportation system until its purchase by the City of Denver in 1971. The prolific architectural firm of William E. and Arthur A. Fisher designed the three-part vertical block type structure with its striking white terra cotta accents. The property is associated with the Historic Resources of Downtown Denver Multiple Property Submission.
E. 18th Ave. & Pontiac St.
National Register 8/10/1978, 5DV.159
The construction of Treat Hall represented the beginning of Colorado Women’s College, the first such college in the Rocky Mountain area. Completed in 1909, Treat Hall was the academic and visual focal point of the campus. Designed by architects Jackson and Betts, the building is three stories in height, and its massing, materials, and detail reflect the Richardsonian Romanesque style. The rough-faced walls are constructed of Castle Rock rhyolite trimmed in red sandstone.
Trinity United Methodist Church
E. 18th Ave. & Broadway
National Register 7/28/1970, 5DV.115
Of Gothic design, Trinity United Methodist Church was built in 1887 of light beige rhyolite from Castle Rock. The architect, Robert S. Roeschlaub, was responsible for many major buildings in Denver. Although this was his first, it is considered by many to be his finest. The large nave seats 1,200 to 1,300 people, and the space has often been used for lectures and concerts. One of its outstanding features is a large pipe organ designed by G.A. Audsley of London. Built by Hilborne Roosevelt of New York, it is one of only twelve known Roosevelt pipe organs in the country.
U.S. Custom House / Federal Building
721 19th St.
National Register 10/16/1979, 5DV.153
The building was constructed in 1931 in the Italian Renaissance Revival style by the N.P. Severin Company of Chicago. Rising from a concrete foundation, the building’s walls are of smooth-rubbed, course cut Colorado Yule marble. Various government agencies have been housed in the building, but its primary tenant was the U.S. Customs Service.
U.S. National Bank / Guaranty Bank (Bank Lofts)
817 17th St.
National Register 3/25/1994, 5DV.5300
U.S. Post Office & Federal Building (Byron White Courthouse)
18th & Stout Sts.
National Register 3/20/1973, 5DV.201
The Neoclassical Revival style building was designed by the New York architectural firm of Tracy, Swartwout and Litchfield in 1909. Due to its monumental proportions, construction of Colorado Yule marble building was not completed until 1916. The building served as an impetus for a massive municipal renewal program and its design influenced the character of governmental structures throughout the city of Denver.
Union Pacific Flatcar No. 51207
800 Seminole Rd.
State Register 1/26/2012, 5DV.11240
Union Pacific Flatcar No. 51207 is eligible to the State Register the area of Transportation for both its history as a flatcar that transported freight in Colorado and for its use in an experiment with Trailer on Flatcar (TOFC) style of freight transportation, which ultimately changed out train-transported goods. After Union Pacific constructed the car in Denver in 1951, they modified it in 1954 in order to determine the requirements to place a trailer on a flatcar for service, hence collaborating with trucking companies rather than directly competing with them. Union Pacific used this flatcar in TOFC service until 1967, when they returned it to general service. Union Pacific Railroad flatcar No. 51207 is also eligible in the area of Engineering as an intact example of a mid-twentieth century flatcar, which includes its original friction-bearing trucks. More information (PDF, 1.6 MB)
17th at Wynkoop
National Register 11/20/1974, 5DV.114
Denver’s Union Station consists of a Neo Classical central section, constructed in 1914, with flanking wings from the previous 1881 depot. The station represents the consolidation of passenger and baggage facilities for most railroads serving Denver. The consolidated depot facilitated the transfer of passengers and freight between competing railroads and furthered the city’s growth as a major rail transportation hub. The building continues to serve as Denver’s intercity rail passenger depot, as well as a transfer station for bus and light rail commuters. The property is associated with Railroads in Colorado, 1858-1948 Multiple Property Submission.
University Blvd. from E. Iowa Ave. to E. Alameda Ave.
National Register 9/17/1986, 5DV.5331
University Boulevard serves the south Denver neighborhoods much as Montview Boulevard serves the east Denver neighborhoods. The 1.5-mile route was planted in sections between 1908 and 1920 with a wide variety of typical Denver street trees, including American elm, silver maple, honey locust, green ash, and rock elm. As part of the original Robinson plan, and as a connector between neighborhoods, it is important for its community planning association as well as its landscaping significance. The property is associated with the Denver Park and Parkway System Thematic Resource.
University Park Methodist Episcopal Church (University Park United Methodist Church)
2180 S. University Blvd.
State Register 2/22/2007, 5DV.10354
The original 1928 portion of the church building is a significant local example of the Late Gothic Revival architectural style. It is an important building in the body of work designed by Walter H. Simon, a Denver architect who achieved recognition for his contribution to the commercial and residential architecture of the city and the surrounding area during the 20th century. Only the 1928 portion of the large, interconnected church complex is listed. (2006 photograph.) More information (PDF, 22.43 MB).
University of Denver Civic Center Classroom Building
(Wellington E. Webb Municipal Office Building)
1445 Cleveland Pl.
National Register 12/6/1990, 5DV.1855
The 1949 classroom building is an important post World War II example of the International Style. The stair towers, the horizontally ribboned windows and the use of the cantilever are all distinctive characteristics of the style. Denver architects Casper Hegner, Thomas Moore, and Dudley Smith designed the building which was originally used as a Civic Center campus for the University of Denver. The City and County later converted the building into city offices. In 2001-2002 the city constructed a multi-story addition to the northwest elevation. Denver architectural firms David Owen Tryba Architects and RNL collaborated on the design.
Vine Street Houses
1415, 1429, 1435, 1441, 1453 Vine St.
National Register 12/16/1974, 5DV.165
Constructed between 1890 and 1893, the five Vine Street houses were part of Denver’s early residential real estate development before the Silver Crash and depression of 1893. Denver architect William Lang, a man known for his eclectic designs, is credited with the houses at 1415, 1429 and 1435 Vine. (1974 photograph.)
Ralph Voorhees House
1471 Stuart St.
National Register 7/19/1982, 5DV.656
The Voorhees House is one of a series of six designed by prominent Denver architects William Lang and Marshall Pugh for real estate developer Ralph Voorhees. Voorhees platted the six-block West Colfax subdivision in 1891 as part of his growing real estate and city improvement activities. Lang and Pugh utilized the Richardsonian Romanesque style in the design of this 1891 2½-story, stone residence. The house is dominated by the three-story, octagonal corner tower. The wide front porch extends to form a welcoming porte-cochere over the entry drive. The property is associated with the West Colfax Subdivision Historic Structures Thematic Resource.
Manuella C. Walters Duplex
1728 & 1732 Gilpin St.
National Register 9/30/2009, 5DV.2253
The 1912 Manuella C. Walters Duplex is an unusual example of side-gabled Foursquare form with Craftsman style detailing, such as overhanging eaves with exposed rafters, brick exterior, and gabled front porches with truss work. The immediate neighborhood is predominantly Queen Anne style houses and Foursquares with either classical or revival style elements, making this Craftsman style duplex clearly stand-out. Designed by Denver architect George F. Harvey, Jr., the original construction documents convey that the duplex retains high integrity. (2009 photograph.) More information (PDF, 2.5 MB).
Bounded by E. Virginia, S. Franklin, E. Louisiana & S. Downing St.
National Register 9/17/1986, 5DV.5333
Reinhard Schuetze laid out this scenic park in the grand Victorian manner in 1889. It features two beautiful lakes; the largest meadow in the Denver park system; a remnant of the City Ditch (which was essential to the watering and hence the development of the park); a forested hill graded by the Olmsted Brothers and planted by DeBoer; romantic deciduous tree plantings; the largest formal summer flower beds in the Denver park and parkway system; and important architectural embellishments such as the 1913 Boat House on Smith’s Lake. The property is associated with the Denver Park and Parkway System Thematic Resource and The Architecture of Jules Jacques Benois Benedict in Colorado Multiple Property Submission.
1701 E. Cedar Ave.
National Register 1/16/1984, 5DV.719
Designed by Jules J.B. Benedict, the 1930-33 Weckbaugh house is one of few local examples of the Norman Chateau style. The large mansion, with ten bedrooms and baths, is situated on 1.7 acres of landscaped grounds. Although constructed during the Great Depression, the design and quality of the architectural detailing is exceptional. Ella Weckbaugh was the daughter of John K. Mullen, one of Denver’s most prominent businessmen and philanthropists during the late 19th century. The property is associated with The Architecture of Jules Jacques Benois Benedict in Colorado Multiple Property Submission.
West 46th Avenue Parkway
W. 46th Ave. Pkwy. from Stuart to Grove St.
National Register 9/17/1986, 5DV.5332
This 1.5-mile parkway is of a type used to connect parks (in this case Rocky Mountain Lake Park with Berkeley Lake Park). It is planted with honey locust, plains cottonwood, and silver maple street trees, and thus compares with University Boulevard in south Denver, which is planted with multiple species, rather than Montview Boulevard, in east Denver, which is planted with a single species--American elm). The parkway was laid out in 1920. The property is associated with the Denver Park and Parkway System Thematic Resource.
West Side Court Building
924 W. Colfax Ave.
National Register 5/5/2004, 5DV.7045
The 1921 West Side Court Building served for thirty years as the municipal court for the City and County of Denver and as one of the primary court facilities of the State district court system. The courthouse functioned as the principal court for the city until the completion of the Denver City and County Building in 1931. The building continued to function as a municipal court in conjunction with the new building. Municipal Judge Joseph Cook presided over the last hearing in the West Side Court in January 1952. The courthouse exhibits the typical symmetrical façade of the Neoclassical style, divided into five bays by banded pilasters with Tuscan capitals and bases. The central entry and triple windows on the façade and side elevations are common Neoclassical elements, as are the wide frieze, the balustraded second-story windows, and the quoinlike window surrounds. Interior elements include the classical balustrade around the circular light well, the crown molding with decorative frieze, and the door trim with classical entablatures.
Bounded by Mariposa, Lipan, Kalamath, W. 14th Ave. & W. 13th Ave.
National Register 4/17/1975, 5DV.160
The Westside Neighborhood district encompasses a five-block area. The growth of the neighborhood parallels Denver’s role as a supplier and market for mining areas to the west. Within twelve years of the earliest construction, the area evolved into a middle-class Victorian neighborhood. By 1890, the neighborhood was totally developed and included several two-story commercial buildings. The district serves as a reminder of Denver’s boom-town character as experienced by many of its early residents, with many of the buildings retaining some or all of their distinguishing Victorian ornamentation.
Williams Street Parkway
Williams St. Pkwy. from E. 4th to E. 8th Ave.
National Register 9/17/1986, 5DV.5334
Planned under contract with the Olmsted Brothers, this half-mile parkway is unique in Denver and features a double row of American Elms (planted on alternate centers to increase the canopy) and colorful shrub plantings on either side of a single roadway. The overall effect is of an elegant tree-lined vista in the New England tradition. Construction and planting took place between 1909 and 1914. The property is associated with the Denver Park and Parkway System Thematic Resource.
707 Washington St.
National Register 12/4/1974, 5DV.179
This circa 1910 house was designed by architects Maurice Biscoe and Henry Hewitt in the French Mediterranean Revival style. The walls are of stuccoed brick, and the roof is covered with clay tiles. The original mansion included fifteen rooms, and in 1928, an addition was completed. The most prominent owners of the house were Guilford S. Wood, Andrew S. Hughes, and Helen Bonfils. Hughes left the house on his death to his daughter and son-in-law, Peter Randolph Morris. Wood, Hughes and Bonfils all made significant contributions to Denver as noted philanthropists and established charitable trusts that still operate in their names. More information (PDF, 1.53 MB).
5401 E. 6th Ave.
National Register 11/9/2005, 5DV.9221
The 1941 Zall House was designed and built for the long serving Denver city attorney, Max P. Zall. Local architect Rodney S. Davis designed the house. The building is an early work of Davis, an acknowledged local master of mid to late 20th century architecture in Denver, designed while working as a young man for the firm of Edwin A. Francis. It is one of a handful of identified early works that reflects his transition from historical revival architecture into modernism, which would ultimately dominate his long and illustrious career. Well-known Denver horticulturalist and landscape designer George Kelly is responsible for the landscaping. The design embodies the plant choices, gardening recommendations and design principles. He later featured it in his book Rocky Mountain Horticulture, widely recognized as the first volume to address the unique climate and soil conditions facing home gardeners in the region. More information (PDF, 431 kb).
Zang House / Gargoyle House
1532 Emerson St.
National Register 11/14/1979, 5DV.130
This 1889 house was designed by William Lang, one of Denver’s most prolific late 19th century architects. Built for Adolph J. Zang, an important Denver businessman, the 2½-story residence is a fine example of Late Victorian eclecticism, manifesting elements of the Chateauesque, Gothic, and Richardsonian Romanesque styles. The façade is of rock-faced stone and the other walls are brick. Carved gargoyles and an eagle perched at the peak of the steeply pitched front gable roof lend an almost whimsical air to the ornamentation.