Castle Rock Depot (Castle Rock Historical Museum)
National Register 10/11/1974, 5DA.216
The 1875 building is a rare example of a stone depot constructed by the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad. Castle Rock quarries yielded the high quality rhyolite stone used in the depot’s construction. A private owner moved the building to its present location in 1970 to serve as a private residence. The depot now serves as a museum. The property is associated with the Railroads in Colorado, 1858-1948 Multiple Property Submission.
Castle Rock Elementary School
3rd and Cantril Sts.
National Register 9/20/1984, 5DA.342
Completed in 1897, the two-story building includes a round arched entrance, bell cast roof, bracketed eaves, and tower. It was built of locally quarried rhyolite in colors ranging from pink and tan to gray. Despite several additions, it is the town’s finest example of stone construction and the area’s best illustration of the Italian Villa style.
208 North Cantril Street
National Register 12/13/2016, 5DA.653
Located in Castle Rock’s Craig and Gould neighborhood, the Samuel Dyer House was built ca. 1875 with historic additions constructed through 1932. The house is an important example of local Queen Anne-style design, which tended to be simpler in design and detail than those found in other communities. The large multi-parcel lot also features several historic outbuildings, including an ice house (ca. 1875), chicken coop/garage (ca. 1875 with 1914 addition), and barn (ca. 1890), a once common configuration of properties in Castle Rock’s early years. Over time, many of these larger properties have been lost when lots were sold and the outbuildings were removed to construct additional residences. More info (PDF, 1.9MB).
First National Bank of Douglas County
300 Wilcox St.
National Register 4/14/1995, 5DA.661
The 1904 building employs rhyolite, an igneous rock quarried in the Castle Rock area, on its two street-side facades. Similar to granite in appearance and composition, rhyolite was widely used in the Denver area. Denver architect George Bettcher designed the building. It represents the only known example of an architect designed, Romanesque Revival style building in Castle Rock.
Benjamin Hammer House
203 Cantril St.
National Register 2/3/1993, 5DA.645
The Italianate building was constructed in 1887 for Benjamin Hammer. One of Castle Rock’s earliest stone houses, the colorful local rhyolite stone was quarried from the Castle Rock district. The house is embellished with dressed segmental arches with keystones, reflecting the skill of the stonemason.
219 & 223 4th St.
National Register 6/20/1997, 5DA.681
The 1901 two-story commercial building, along with its 1910 addition served as a social hub of the community. For many years it was the only hotel in town, and a saloon or restaurant continuously occupied the corner location from 1901 until the 1960s. The building is a good example of the use of locally quarried rhyolite.
2989 S. Colo. Hwy. 83, Franktown vicinity
State Register 9/13/1995, 5DA.567
Castlewood Dam was built to provide irrigation for the agricultural development of Douglas County. Constructed upon a poor foundation, it became controversial shortly after its construction in 1890. In August of 1933, the dam collapsed sending a wall of water 1/2 mile wide and 15 feet high through Denver. This disaster resulted in the development of a comprehensive flood control program for Cherry Creek that led to the construction of the Cherry Creek Dam and reservoir.
Cherry Creek Bridge
Colo. Hwy. 83, Franktown vicinity
National Register 10/15/2002, 5DA.1519
Completed in 1948 over Cherry Creek, at the rim of Castlewood Canyon by J.H. and N.M. Monaghan & Associates, the main span of this Colorado Highway Department designed 374-foot long five span bridge runs for 232 feet. Unaltered since constructed, the setting and graceful curved lines of its open spandrel concrete arches reflect the aesthetic appeal of this distinctive bridge type. Listed under Highway Bridges in Colorado Multiple Property Submission.
The Evans Homestead Rural Historic Landscape is significant in the area of agriculture for its association with the development of irrigated farming and livestock production in Douglas County. Additionally, it is architecturally significant with the main house being an excellent example of the Gable Front building type. Finally, the property is significant in the area of non-aboriginal historic archaeology for its potential to yield information important to history. The property may offer information on the way of life/material culture of rural ranchers/farmers, along with information associated to the broad historical pattern of farming, sheep and cattle ranching.
National Register 2/1/2006, 5DA.272
Pike’s Peak Grange No. 163
3093 N. Colo. Hwy. 83, Franktown vicinity
National Register 10/1/1990, 5DA.341
This one-story clapboard-sided building represents a vernacular style of architecture - a simple, front gabled, wood frame construction that was built throughout the state beginning in 1860. Constructed in 1909, the building reflects the importance of the Grange movement in Douglas County.
Rock Ridge Ranch Barn
7054 S. Colo. Hwy. 83, Franktown vicinity
State Register 11/9/1994, 5DA.1010
The circa 1880 barn is a rare surviving example of pegged, post and beam construction. A common construction method in the 18th and early 19th centuries involving skilled craftsmen, the mass production of wire nails after 1900 brought an end to pegged construction.
American Federation of Human Rights Headquarters
9070 S. Douglas Blvd.
National Register 3/19/1998, 5DA.1097
The cluster of buildings serves as the headquarters of the corporate arm of a Co-Masonic fraternal order. This organization is associated with early 20th century efforts to facilitate bargaining for better working conditions, and Co-Masonry reflected the trend toward the further emancipation of women. The group purchased the land in 1916 in order to establish a headquarters, a retirement place for coal miners, and a home for orphans and widows. The focal point of the complex is the Administration Building, constructed in 1924.
Ben Quick Ranch & Fort
6695 W. Plum Creek Rd., Larkspur vicinity
National Register 10/1/1974, 5DA.215
Although there are no visible remains, it is the site of Fort Washington, a log stockade that enclosed a homestead cabin and a large well. Built during the Indian Wars of 1868, it was a strong defense point for the entire West Plum Creek Valley. A later construction, the 1885 1½-story dwelling, was built utilizing locally gathered native stone and is a good representative of Douglas County stone architecture for the period.
Glen Grove School
Off Perry Park Rd., north of Palmer Lake
National Register 11/5/1974, 5DA.214
This simple 1910 wood frame rural schoolhouse was a third generation building and remained in operation into the early 1950s.
John Kinner House
6694 Perry Park Rd.
National Register 10/11/1974, 5DA.213
Located on one of the earliest ranches in the West Plum Creek Valley, the 1896 two-story building with its steeply pitched hipped roof was constructed of rubble sandstone that was hand quarried by John Kinner and his sons from a nearby field.
Lone Tree School
Colo. Hwy. 105, south of Larkspur
State Register 3/8/1995, 5DA.344
The 1922 school exemplifies rural educational methods as dominated by a pattern of small one-room schoolhouses.
Reginald Sinclaire House
6154 Perry Park Rd.
National Register 9/20/1991, 5DA.966
The home is a finely crafted example of the Pueblo Revival Style constructed in 1932 during the style’s peak of national popularity. It is one of the few large scale Pueblo Revival style residences in the state. Made to resemble a Native American pueblo, it is built of cinderblocks covered with an earth-colored stucco instead of the traditional adobe.
Spring Valley School / The School House
Spring Valley & Lorraine Rds.
National Register 12/18/1978, 5DA.219
State Register 11/9/1994, National Register 3/13/1997, 5DA.83
This archaeological site contains evidence of hunting and game processing that may pre-date 9,500 BC, a period before the earliest well accepted archaeological evidence of human activity in the Americas. Listed under Prehistoric Paleo-Indian Cultures of the Colorado Plains Multiple Property Submission.
Louviers Blvd., Hillcrest Dr., Triangle Dr., Main St., Valley View St., 1st, 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Sts.
National Register 7/2/1999, 5DA.1391
The community, begun by the Du Pont Company in 1906, and occupied starting in 1908, provided employee housing and support facilities for the adjacent Louviers Works dynamite plant. Du Pont carefully planned, built, and managed the village. In addition to housing for workers and management, the community included a school, church, hotel, parks and a ball field, and a large community club. The community remained under Du Pont ownership until 1962, when the company sold both the village and the dynamite plant.
Louviers Village Club
Louviers Blvd. & 1st St.
National Register 9/22/1995, 5DA.1016
Constructed in 1917 by E.I. du Pont de Nemours and Company, the club served as a social and recreational center for the company town of Louviers. Du Pont endeavored to establish a sense of community for its employees. The Craftsman-style club contained an assembly hall, a “women’s talk room,” a grocery store and a post office. It also boasted a two-lane maple-floored bowling alley with hand-loaded pin setters, thought to be the oldest continuously-used bowling alley in Colorado. Du Pont ran the club until 1963, when it leased the facility to the town. The plant closed in the mid-1980s, and the club now belongs to the county.
Douglas County was unable to contemplate comprehensive rehabilitation of the building until receiving four State Historical Fund grants totaling almost $500,000, which made this project possible. During the last five years, preservation contractors restored the main meeting room, repaired and replaced windows, removed a non-historic drop ceiling, restored exterior woodwork and masonry, restored the bowling alley and added ADA-compliant access to the building. The club building again hosts public and private events while continuing to foster a sense of community. For more information see the Project Snapshot. (2007 photograph.)
Ruth Memorial Methodist Episcopal Church
19670 E. Main St.
National Register 5/1/1989, 5DA.890
A variant of the Gothic Revival style, the 1913 clapboard church is a good example of the type of building that was constructed by early pioneers for their worship services. A center of non-sectarian religious activities, it was the first church built in Parker and is the only unaltered church building remaining within the town limits.
State Register 12/10/1997, 5DA.1090
Originally built in 1866 as a log cabin by John and Elizabeth Tallman, the house received a new look by the turn of century while under the ownership of William Gilpin Newlin and his wife, Elizabeth. The house exemplifies log construction "updated" by the application of wood siding. Relocated to save it from demolition, it will be used as an educational tool to illustrate early local building practices and materials.
Bear Cañon Agricultural District
Both sides of Colo. Hwy. 105, from Colo. Hwy. 67 south to Jarre Creek
National Register 10/29/1975, 5DA.212
In the early 1860s, the Denver and Rio Grande Railroad’s first stop south of Denver was at Plum Creek, now known as Sedalia. Settlement in and around Plum Creek eventually spread along the Bear Cañon corridor from Denver to Colorado Springs. Primarily settled by people of English descent, many buildings of a public nature, such as schools and churches remain intact.
North of US Hwy. 85 & south of Daniels Park Rd.
National Register 10/21/1994, 5DA.708
The ranch is a diverse property containing four 19th and 20th century building groups; a 20th century replica of a 15th century Scottish castle; historic roadways, spectacular landforms and views, pastures and corrals, a wildlife preserve; and an important prehistoric archaeological site. The 1924 castle was designed by Burnham Hoyt and constructed by Cornish stonemasons from stone quarried on the site. More information (PDF, 31.44 MB).
Church of St. Philip-in-the-Field / Bear Cañon Cemetery
Colo. Hwy. 105, 5 miles south of Sedalia
National Register 4/11/1973, 5DA.217
Built in 1872, the white clapboard church is surrounded on the north, east, and south sides by the cemetery. With its steeply pitched roof and pointed arched windows, it is a well preserved example of Gothic Revival architecture executed by local craftsman.
County Rd. 67, northeast of Sedalia
National Register 6/30/1995, 5DA.1009
Daniels Park provides panoramic views of the entire Front Range. Originally a working ranch, several buildings representative of early 20th century rural architecture remain on the site. Denver architect Jules J.B. Benedict designed the early 1920s picnic shelter. Listed under Denver Mountain Parks Multiple Property Submission.
Devils Head Lookout
Approximately 28 miles north of Woodland Park, Pike National Forest
National Register 4/22/2003, 5DA.960
At 9,748 feet, the Devils Head Lookout sits on the highest point of the Rampart Range, the first and eastern most part of the Rocky Mountains. The site is long associated with the conservation efforts of the U.S. Forest Service in Colorado. In continuous use since 1912, the site is the last full-time lookout in Colorado. Devils Head was also the duty station of the first female fire lookout in America. Helen Dowe spent three seasons as the lookout from 1919-1921.
Indian Park School
1403 Colo. Hwy. 67
National Register 2/8/1978, 5DA.211
Santa Fe Railway Water Tank / Sedalia Water Tank
Along US Hwy. 85 west of the junction with Colo. Hwy. 67
National Register 4/18/2003, 5DA.1385
Constructed in 1906, the 140,000 gallon steel tank measures 24 feet in diameter and 43 feet in height. Around 1900, railroads began using steel tanks to replace the elevated wood tanks that provided water for coal-fired steam locomotives. Utilized by the Santa Fe Railway until 1950, this tank is an early example of the evolving technology and is believed to be one of the last surviving steel railroad water tanks in the state. Listed under Railroads in Colorado Multiple Property Submission.