Colorado College, founded in 1874 as an independent, coeducational liberal arts college, is significant as one of the first degree-granting institutions in Colorado. Its establishment is associated with General William Palmer, founder of Colorado Springs, and Henry McAllister, a director of the Colorado Springs Company, both of whom donated land along Cascade Avenue for use as a campus.
Architecturally, the historic buildings on the campus are some of the most important in the city. They include examples of the Romanesque and Classical Revival as well as the English-influenced styles popular during the "Little London" period in Colorado Springs’ development. In addition, the location of the college influenced development in the north-central portion of the city. The prestige of the college and the high architectural quality of its buildings is also reflected in the surrounding residential neighborhood. (Cover documentation accepted by National Register in 1986, Revised 1997.) Multiple Property Documentation Form (PDF, 4 MB).
El Paso County
920 N. Cascade Ave., Colorado College Campus
National Register 3/28/1997, 5EP.3954
Cossitt Memorial Hall
906 N. Cascade Ave., Colorado College Campus
National Register 3/28/1997, 5EP.3955
912 N. Cascade Ave., Colorado College Campus
National Register 7/3/1986, 5EP.3951
1001 N. Nevada Ave., Colorado College Campus