312 S. Main St.
National Register 10/23/1986, 5HF.519
Originally built in 1862 by "Colonel" John M. Francisco, the two early historic buildings form a U-shape around an open courtyard. When constructed, they had 18 to 24 inch thick adobe walls, dirt floors, and a dirt roof supported by vigas. Later improvements include gabled roofs, wood flooring, and plastering of the walls. In 1876, the Denver and Rio Grande Railroad arrived at Francisco Plaza, marking a new period of growth and a new name, La Veta.
La Veta Masonic Hall
210 S. Main St.
State Register 6/14/2000, 5HF.369
Completed in 1889, the Masonic Hall is one of the earliest extant examples of the stone construction that would become a prominent component of La Veta’s architectural heritage. It is one of the better preserved of the few two-story stone buildings in town, and it is the oldest two-part block commercial building.
La Veta Pass Narrow Gauge Railroad Depot
East of La Veta Pass Summit, south side of road
National Register 6/6/1980, 5HF.5
The simple L-shaped stuccoed stone depot dates to 1877. The Denver and Rio Grande Railroad built it atop the 9,400 foot high La Veta Pass to serve passenger trains bound to and from the San Luis Valley to the west. The building functioned until 1899 when the original narrow gauge line gave way to a standard gauge replacement seven miles to the south. The simple design and construction reflect the early era of railroad development, particularly in isolated regions like the summit of La Veta Pass. Listed under Railroads in Colorado, 1858-1948 Multiple Property Submission.
314 S. Main St.
National Register 12/10/1993, 5HF.366
The community of Francisco Plaza, now La Veta, was originally founded in 1862. In 1909, the construction of the 2½-story sandstone hospital building took place, and it was continuously used as such up to 1944. After 1944 the building was used as a private residence up to 1980, when it was then converted to a bed and breakfast inn.
3652, 3665, 3688 County Rd. 443
National Register 8/31/2011, 5HF.2410
The Veta Pass-Uptop Historic District is important as related to transportation being a railroad stop from 1877-1901, the sawmill Industry from 1916-1945, and as tourist destination from 1945-1964. This community continually reinvented itself as modes of transportation reshaped access through the Sangre de Cristo Mountains. More information (PDF, 3.4 MB)
715 Main St.
State Register 11/9/1994, 5HF.1160
Though originally constructed in 1917 as the Star, the Fox Inter-mountain chain purchased and remodeled the building in 1941 and gave this mainstay of community entertainment a modern Art Deco appearance. (ca. 2000 photograph.)
Huerfano County Courthouse & Jail
401 Main St.
National Register 4/23/1973, 5HF.654
Designed by Pueblo architect C.A. Henderson, the two-story courthouse was built in 1904. The adjacent two-story building utilized as the jail dates from the 1890s.&nbs