450 11th St.
National Register 12/11/2007, 5KC.208
Constructed between 1938 and 1940 by the Works Progress Administration (WPA), the Burlington Gymnasium represents an important record of the federal relief programs administered on Colorado’s eastern plains during the Great Depression. Its construction provided much needed employment in Kit Carson County and it is the only extant work relief construction project remaining from the New Deal era in Burlington. The building exemplifies the efforts of the WPA to boost moral during the Depression through the construction of buildings that could be enjoyed by the entire community. The WPA created a much needed modern facility for the Burlington School district by providing a gymnasium with a full-size court, a stage for use by school theater and music groups, a kitchen and dining hall, meeting rooms, and a residence for a custodian. The building is a good example of the Art Deco style as applied to a WPA gymnasium building. Unlike more elaborate Art Deco buildings featuring terra cotta ornamentation, all of the decoration on the gymnasium was executed in concrete. Pilasters create a vertical emphasis and incised horizontal lines provide a geometric counterpoint. Chevron and ziggurat designs decorate the cornice. (2004 photograph.) More information (PDF, 1.16 MB).
Burlington State Armory
191 14th St.
National Register 9/20/1984, 5KC.70
Constructed in 1926, this architecturally significant, 2½ story red brick building occupies a prominent location at the south end of Burlington’s commercial district. Sidney G. Frazier, a prolific Colorado architect and captain in the National Guard, designed the late Gothic Revival style building.
Elitch Gardens Carousel / Kit Carson County Carousel
Kit Carson County Fairgrounds
National Register 12/19/1978, National Historic Landmark 2/27/1987, 5KC.67
The 1905 carousel is a rare surviving example of a stationary menagerie carousel built by the Philadelphia Toboggan Company for Denver’s Elitch Gardens. The carousel and its 1912 Wurlitzer Monster Military Band Organ were moved to the Kit Carson County Fairgrounds in 1928. (1998 photograph.)
Sim Hudson Motor Company
1332 Senter Ave.
National Register 11/7/2007, 5KC.46
The Sim Hudson Motor Company played a major role in the development of automobile sales and service in Burlington. Beginning as the Golden Belt Garage, during Sim Hudson’s ownership of the property his dealership sold and serviced Chevrolets. His facility also sold auto parts, dispensed gasoline through curbside pumps and stored automobiles for customers without garages. He commissioned a new Art Deco facade that, when completed in 1932, gave the dealership a modern eye-catching appearance. The main building is a good example of an important 20th century building type–the automobile dealership. The specialized nature of the product and services sold dictated a special building form. The Hudson Motor Company exemplifies the dealership type developed in the first half of the 20th century that combined sales, service, storage and fueling in a one-story building at the street edge. The Hudson building exemplifies the architectural evolution of the classic pre-World War II automobile dealership. Property owner Frank Lund prepared the nomination. (2007 photograph.) More information (PDF, 5.06 MB).
Flagler Hospital (Municipal Building)
311 Main Ave.
National Register 1/30/1991, 5KC.91
Since its construction in 1909, by W.L. Price and W.H. Lavington, the building has housed a variety of functions important to the community’s growth. From 1909 to approximately 1930, the building operated as a hotel. In 1937, it was purchased by Dr. William L. McBride who remodeled it into a hospital and operated it as such until 1963. The town of Flagler purchased the building in 1967 and converted it to city offices and the town library.
Second Central School
404 4th St.
State Register 6/12/1996, 5KC.135
Constructed in 1915, this rural schoolhouse was originally located 13 miles southeast of Flagler. Consolidation forced the school to close, and it remained vacant for many years. It was moved to Flagler in 1993 for use as a local museum. This architecturally significant school includes details such as flared eaves and unusual finials. (1999 photograph.)
Spring Creek Bridge
US Hwy. 24, Vona Vicinity
National Register 10/15/2002, 5KC.168
The 1928-29 concrete slab bridge includes seven 19-foot spans. It crosses Spring Creek on a now lightly traveled portion of US Hwy. 24 that runs parallel to I-70 between Siebert and Vona. Designed by the Colorado Department of Highways and constructed by M.E. Carlson, it remains intact as a good example of one of Colorado’s early multiple span concrete highway bridges. Listed under Highway Bridges in Colorado Multiple Property Submission.