57920 County Rd.
State Register 3/12/1997, 5LN.211
The homestead evolved architecturally over a period from 1899 to 1916. The Martins homesteaded the land in 1899, and the fourth generation of the same family continues to work the farm. The property includes the original sod house and a large frame barn, both typical in design, materials, and workmanship for their place and period of construction. (1998 photograph.)
The 1926 World’s Wonder View Tower rose on Colorado’s eastern plains as a commercial and recreational center designed to profit from the needs of rail and highway travelers. Tourist facilities like the tower once dotted every major western highway. They now represent a rare and disappearing resource. (2000 photograph.)
617 3rd Ave.
State Register 3/12/1997, 5LN.100
The circa 1877 Hedlund House is part of the first homestead filing in the Hugo area. The house is a wood frame structure typical of its place and period of construction.
Hugo Municipal Pool
US Hwy. 287 and 6th Ave.
National Register 7/24/2008, 5LN.206
On September 2, 1935, the Town of Hugo submitted a Works Progress Administration project proposal for the construction of a “concrete swimming pool together with bathhouse, landscaping and grading and other necessary work to complete a City Park.” Actual construction began a year later. Work halted twice, once so the WPA crew could finish the Hugo gymnasium / auditorium project and again in July 1937 for the crew to mix and spread poison bait in the regional battle against grasshoppers. The still unfinished facility opened to the public on Saturday, June 18, 1938. The bathhouse is a good example of WPA Art Moderne design, typifying the modern styles that predominated projects in northeast Colorado. With walls constructed of adobe, the bathhouse mixes traditional construction techniques with modern design. The WPA used adobe construction on many projects as it was inexpensive, but labor intensive, fitting with the WPA’s unemployment relief mission by minimizing spending on materials and maximizing spending on labor. The property is associated with the New Deal Resources on Colorado’s Eastern Plains Multiple Property Submission. (2007 photograph.) More information (PDF, 1.99 MB).
Hugo Union Pacific Railroad Roundhouse
Adjacent to Union Pacific RR right-of-way
State Register 5/14/1997, 5LN.195
The 1909 roundhouse is associated with the operation and maintenance of the Union Pacific Railroad in eastern Colorado. It is Colorado’s most intact Union Pacific example and one of only four surviving roundhouses in the state. (ca. 2000 photograph.)
30560 Colo. Hwy. 71, Limon vicinity
State Register 9/10/2003, 5LN.311
The circa 1900 Carpenter Barn is a good example of a modest sized, platform-framed and gambrel-roofed dairy barn. The barn exhibits the large loft indicative of the type as well as the grade level concrete floor and abundant windows. Though moved from its original construction site in 1950, the barn continued to be used after its relocation. (2003 photograph.)
Limon Railroad Depot (Limon Heritage Museum)
899 1st St.
State Register 12/12/2001, National Register 2/20/2003, 5LN.221
The town’s location at the intersection of the Union Pacific Railroad and the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railroad, and its designation as a division point on the latter, made Limon an important regional rail center and a major source of local employment. The 1910 wood frame depot is one of only three Rock Island depots in Colorado remaining in their place of operation. Modernized by the Rock Island in the late 1930s, the depot is important for its design adaptations that allowed it to effectively serve and manage traffic at a major rail junction into the 1950s. In 1990, the Mid-States Port Authority donated the building to the Limon Heritage Society, and it now serves as a museum. (1998 photograph.)
245 E Ave.
State Register 3/10/2004, 5LN.327
The Lincoln Theatre is Limon’s longest surviving movie theatre. Opening in 1938 as the Cactus Theatre before assuming the Lincoln name in 1949, the theatre has operated continuously to the present. (1998 photograph.)
Walks Camp Park
63551 County Rd. 27, Limon vicinity
State Register 3/11/1998, 5LN.94
Since the creation of the Walks Camp Park Association in 1915, the agricultural community north of Limon has operated the park as a recreational complex. The 1930 Grandstand, exemplifying a basic design type common in the first half of the 20th century, provides spectator seating for sporting events and community celebrations. The Recreation Hall, moved to the park in 1944 from the former Civilian Conservation Corps camp in Hugo is of t