Antelope Springs Methodist Episcopal Church
National Register 12/3/2013, 5MR.909
The 1915 Antelope Springs Methodist Episcopal Church is a good example of a Late 19th and Early 20th Century American Movements style building as applied to a rural church on Colorado’s plains. The church has been an important community gathering place for the farming and ranching community for many decades.
All Saints Church of Eben Ezer
120 Hospital Rd.
National Register 6/3/1982, 5MR.467
This traditional basilica plan church was built in 1916 following the design of the Denver architectural firm of the Baerresen Brothers. The church is located on the grounds of the Eben Ezer Lutheran Care Center, a sanatorium established by Rev. Jens Madsen and his wife in 1903. It is significant as a statement of Danish influenced architecture and for its historical association with Danish Lutheran immigrants of the region. (1997 photograph.)
Central Platoon School
411 Clayton St.
National Register 11/5/2001, 5MR.470
Constructed in 1928, the Central Platoon School was an early Colorado adapter of the platoon form of student organization. Remaining in service until 1997, the predominantly two-story Italian Renaissance style brick building, designed by noted architects Mountjoy and Frewen, reflects the design principles for an effective platoon school as set forth by Roscoe David Case in his 1931 book, The Platoon School in America. The system divided the elementary school population into two groups that rotated between teachers and classrooms for instruction in traditional and specialized subjects. (ca. 1929 photograph.)
Emerson Theatre / Sands Theatre
211 Clayton St.
State Register 9/14/2005, 5MR.764
The Emerson Theatre (now the Sands Theatre), with its V-shaped marquee sign, has continuously served as Brush’s primary indoor public entertainment venue for almost nine decades. Started in 1916 by locally prominent citizen Charles W. Emerson, the building housed other small businesses off the lobby that provided food and tobacco for movie-goers. The current owner, Joe Machetta, ran the theater with much of the early equipment since 1958. The Sands Theatre continues to serve as a landmark to the Brush community. (1997 photograph.) More information (PDF, 1.29 MB).
German Evangelical Immanuel Congregational Church
209 Everett St.
National Register 10/14/2005, 5MR.832
The German Evangelical Immanuel Congregational Church is a good example of Late Gothic Revival church architecture. The church possesses the distinctive characteristics of this style, including pointed arch windows, tracery, square tower, and masonry construction. The design is the work of Denver architect Walter Simon, as well as builder Frank Kenney, a well-known Colorado contractor. The 1927 building is one of Simon’s earliest commissions. In addition to designing numerous buildings across the state in the various revival styles popular at the time, the church is his only known example using the Late Gothic Revival style. (2005 photograph.) More information (PDF, 850 kb).
314 S. Clayton St.
National Register 1/31/1997, 5MR.627
Built in 1911, the school primarily offered classes in grades one through three. It served the needs of immigrant families, first Germans from Russia and then Hispanos, who worked the extensive sugar beet fields around Brush. The oldest surviving school in Brush, it operated for 61 years until school consolidation forced its closure. The school typifies many small, early 20th century civic buildings with its simple design, symmetrical classical massing, and utilitarian space planning resulting in a dignified and functional structure. (1997 photograph.)
Rankin Presbyterian Church
420 Clayton St.
National Register 7/20/2007, 5MR.614
Constructed in 1907, the church is a very good example of the Gothic Revival style. The building epitomizes the primary characteristics of this style as seen in its steeply pitched cross-gabled roof, masonry construction, stepped buttresses, crenellated square tower, pointed arch openings, and windows with label molds and tracery. The church has undergone minimal alterations; an educational wing was added to the southwest corner in 1963. (1987 photograph.) More information (PDF, 2.04 MB).
Farmers State Bank Building
300 Main St.
National Register 9/13/1990, 5MR.411
Denver architect Eugene G. Groves designed the Art Deco bank building. Completed in 1930, the one-story building features carved buff colored Indiana limestone. Built by John H. Bloedorn, Sr., a prominent social leader in town, and his brothers, the structure was one of the most complete and up-to-date bank buildings in the state. (ca. 2000 photograph.)
Fort Morgan Armory
528 State St.
State Register 9/10/2003, National Register 6/16/2004, 5MR.1000
The 1922 State Armory in Fort Morgan is associated with the community’s military and recreational development. The construction of the building represents the initiation and maintenance of a National Guard unit in Fort Morgan. The Armory’s dual purpose of serving as a community center fostered the growth of entertainment and recreational opportunities in the town. The Armory is representative in its design and construction of National Guard Armories built throughout Colorado in the 1920s as part of a nationwide movement to provide for internal defense in cases of social unrest. The Fort Morgan Armory was built on a standard plan designed by Denver architect John J. Huddart. The National Guard adopted the plan for at least twelve of its armories constructed throughout the state. Only seven of the Huddart armories survive. (2003 photograph.) More information (PDF, 1.56 MB).
Fort Morgan City Hall
110 Main St.
National Register 11/22/1995, 5MR.622
The 1908 city hall was part of the growing municipal infrastructure developed by the town’s first superintendent, George Cox. The building originally housed not only the city offices but also the municipal electric generation plant and water pumping station. (1999 photograph.)
Fort Morgan Power Plant Building
East side of N. Main St., north of junction with US Hwy. 6
National Register 1/28/1994, 5MR.615
The power plant, a concrete post-and-beam industrial structure clad in red brick, was constructed in 1923 under the supervision of its designer, George Cox, Fort Morgan city superintendent. The building housed the highest pressure steam plant in the state at the time of its construction. The construction of the plant reflects the maturity of the city, as it provided critical infrastructure for the growing community. (1993 photograph.)
Fort Morgan Main Post Office
300 State St.
National Register 1/22/1986, 5MR.469
Built in 1917, the building’s classically derived Federal style is most commonly associated with southern and eastern architecture. At the entrance, the symmetrical building is dominated by a monumental pediment supported by four columns. Listed under U.S. Post Offices in Colorado Thematic Resource. (1983 photograph.)
914 State St.
National Register 4/27/2010, 5MR.892
The 1909 Lincoln School is a good local example of the Mission style as adapted to a school. The school’s prominent feature, the curvilinear gable and parapet, is one of the most character defining elements of the style. Other features of the style include a hipped roof and banded rustication on the central bay and lower portion of the building. Additionally, the school is important for its educational development of several generations of Fort Morgan area children. From 1909 through 1962, the building served as one of four elementary schools in Fort Morgan for grades one through six. Beginning in 1962 and continuing through 1965, the school educated kindergarten through sixth grade students. A 1920 addition nearly tripled the school’s capacity and its educational mission by including a gymnasium with a stage for recitals, plays, and educational entertainment. (2008 photograph.)
Morgan County Courthouse & Jail
225 Ensign and 218 W. Kiowa
State Register 3/13/2002, National Register 4/1/2002, 5MR.466
In the midst of the Great Depression, the county commissioners took advantage of a federal construction grant from the Public Works Administration (PWA) to match county funds toward the erection of a new courthouse to replace a 1907 building. The 1936 courthouse is a good example of the Art Deco style and an important work by the major Colorado architect Eugene G. Groves. During the lean Depression years, Groves stayed busy completing commissions on several PWA-funded projects. The 1921 jail replaced the original 1898 facility. The property is associated with the New Deal Resources on Colorado’s Eastern Plains Multiple Property Submission. (2001 photograph.)
Rainbow Arch Bridge
Colo. Hwy. 52
National Register 2/4/1985, 5MR.471
Sherman Street Historic Residential District
400 & 500 blocks of Sherman St.
National Register 9/10/1987, 5MR.476
The district includes four large residences associated with individuals important to the history of Fort Morgan’s development. They were constructed between 1886 and 1926, on block deep lots, carved from the original 160 acre tree claim filed by George Warner in 1883. The well-preserved residences include two Queen Annes, a foursquare with Craftsman detailing, and a Georgian Revival. (1987 photograph.)
3515 Road B
State Register 11/29/2007, 5MR.870
Built to replace a smaller schoolhouse in the same location, the Hoyt School building provides physical evidence about the conditions of rural education in Colorado in the early 20th century. The schoolhouse served as the educational center for this agricultural community from its construction in 1918 until consolidation forced its closure in 1946. During the Great Depression, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed an addition that included a stage at the head of the classroom and stairs leading to a new basement. The basement, a typical project for this New Deal federal relief program, contains a small kitchen used for the preparation of student hot lunches. The adjoining larger room served as a cafeteria where students ate what might have been their only complete and hot meal of the day. As the largest school building in the district, the Hoyt School also served as an important meeting place and social outlet for area residents by hosting dances, elections, local fairs, dinners and the Literary Society. Listed as part of the