Santa Fe Trail Mountain Route Trail Segments – Bloom Vicinity Address restricted
National Register listed 2/23/2016, 5OT.234.39
These trail segments are part of the larger Santa Fe Trail Mountain Route that provided a vital transportation link between the United States and the newly independent Mexico fostering not only commercial trade, but also establishing social ties that were pivotal to regional development and expansion of the United States from 1832-1879. Contrary to popular perception, the Santa Fe Trail was not a single trail with two branches, but a complex transportation system made up of various routes, starting points, and destinations. The sites contain visible trail ruts of the Santa Fe Trail Mountain Route where merchants, trappers, traders, explorers, settlers, gold seekers, health seekers, religious missionaries, entrepreneurs, investors, Native Americans, and the military were among the various individuals who traveled the route. They journeyed by foot, horseback, pack animals, wagons, and stagecoaches along the internationally known travel route. The trail segments are nationally significant in the areas of transportation, commerce, military, and exploration/ settlement. They also have the potential to provide information relevant to aboriginal and non-aboriginal historical archaeology. These trail segments were listed in association with and met the requirements of the Historic Resources of the Santa Fe Trail, 1821-1880 Multiple Property Documentation Form (MPDF)
Bent’s Old Fort National Historic Site
Colo. Hwy. 194, northeast of La Junta
National Historic Landmark 12/19/1960, National Register 10/15/1966, Additional documentation 7/5/1985, 5OT.149
This site northeast of La Junta once contained Bent’s Old Fort, an important trading post near the Arkansas River along the Mountain Branch of the Santa Fe Trail. Constructed around 1833 by brothers Charles and William Bent and partner Ceran St. Vrain, the fort occupied an area that at that time was the border between the United States and newly independent Mexico. The fort became the foci where Hispano, Euro-American, and the various Plains Indian tribes, of which the Cheyenne, Kiowa, Arapaho, and Comanche were the most prominent, interacted. The reconstructed adobe fort on the historic site dates to the mid-1970s. The property is associated with the Historic Resources of the Santa Fe Trail, 1821-1880 Multiple Property Submission. (1983 photograph.)
Elks Lodge #701
119 Colorado Ave.
State Register 12/13/1995, 5OT.548
The Elks Lodge # 701 building has served as the headquarters of La Junta’s primary fraternal service organization since the lodge’s establishment in 1901. The building exhibits an intact and well executed 1950 facade modernization. (2005 photograph.)
Dr. Frank Finney House
608 Belleview Ave.
National Register 5/17/1984, 5OT.102
Dr. Frank Finney’s 1899 house exhibits the most lavishly detailed exterior in this Plains community. The house with its rich interior trim is La Junta’s best example of Colonial Revival architecture. Architect Walter Dubree designed the residence. (2001 photograph.)
Wilson A. Hart House
802 Raton Ave.
National Register 5/31/1979, 5OT.96
Wilson A. Hart paid $2,000 in 1898 for the construction of the house as a wedding present for his wife, Mary. The eclectic brick and wood structure represents local interpretations of late Victorian architectural styles. Hart was a well-known local banker, insurance salesman, and real estate agent. (2001 photograph.)
Koshare Kiva Museum
115 W. 18th St.
State Register 12/13/1995, 5OT.550
The 1948 museum (with additions in 1958 and 1980) is a good example of the Pueblo Revival style. It is the only identified example of the style in Otero County. With its open span crib roof, the round ceremonial room section is a rare example of Hogan-type construction. (2002 photograph.)
La Junta City Park
Bounded by Colorado and Park Avenues and 10th and 14th Streets
National Register 4/24/2007, 5OT.937
Constructed between 1933 and 1941, the park demonstrates the importance of federal relief programs in Colorado during the Great Depression. The Civil Works Administration project focused on drainage in the park, while the later Works Progress Administration projects involved extensive landscaping that included building the lake; planting trees and building drives; and constructing rustic stone walls, benches and buildings. La Junta City Park is the primary park for the community. Although the land was donated to the city in 1905, few improvements were made. The New Deal projects converted an underutilized and poorly drained park into a location for active and passive recreation. The park exemplifies WPA design influenced by the Rustic style. Characteristic elements of the style seen in the park include the use of native stone, traditional construction methods, simple functional design, and evident hand craftsmanship, such as the beaded grapevine mortar joints. The materials and construction methods reflect public relief work programs designed to be labor intensive. The property is associated with the New Deal Resources in Eastern Colorado Multiple Property Submission. (2006 photograph.) More information (PDF, 788 kb).
La Junta Post Office
4th & Colorado Ave.
National Register 7/12/1976, 5OT.94
The new La Junta Post Office opened in 1916, and the Spanish Colonial Revival structure quickly became the architectural focal point of the community. (1976 photograph.)
300 block W. 3rd St.
National Register 9/13/1978, 5OT.95
Pueblo architects Walter DeMordaunt and John Gray designed the 1937 Lincoln School annex to complement the existing 1883 and 1903 Lincoln School building. The irregular plan and roof lines, the roughly patterned brick work on the exterior and interior, and the warm colors of the brick and tile contributed to this modern interpretation of Spanish and Mediterranean architecture.
North La Junta School (North School)
Colo. Hwy. 109 & 194 (Main & Trail)
National Register 6/25/1992, 5OT.276
Completed in 1914, the school served the educational needs of North La Junta families and also provided a social meeting place for the community. The design of the school, attributed to Walter Dubree, is representative of school buildings constructed in the area during the early part of the 20th century. (1997 photograph.)
Plaza Block Building
8-10 East First Street
State Register 1/25/2015, 5OT.1286
The Plaza Block building was constructed in 1895 in the center of La Junta’s first business district, Trinidad Plaza, during a period of rapid population growth, development, and modernization all stemming from a stable railroad economy. The building had a variety of commercial occupants throughout the late nineteenth and early twentieth century and was used as a department store, grocery store, billiards hall, furniture store and upholstery shop. Most importantly, the Postal Telegraph and Cable Company and subsequently Western Union used part of the building as a telegraph office for nearly 60 years. The La Junta Postal Telegraph branch office served as an integral part of a critical communications network that initially followed the Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad and connected for the first time numerous Colorado locations to cities as far east as Omaha and as far west as Los Angeles. The Plaza Block Building is an excellent example of a late-nineteenth century two-part commercial building.
Eugene Rourke House
619 Carson St.
National Register 5/9/1983, 5OT.175
Eugene Rourke, prominent settler, rancher and businessman in the La Junta area, had this house constructed for his family in 1898. The residence exhibits the architectural transition between late Victorian eclecticism and the Colonial Revival style. Interesting features include the original two-story Colonial Revival portico, and the Queen Anne style tower and iron roof cresting. (2001 photograph.)
San Juan Avenue Historic District
501-521 & 522 San Juan Ave.
National Register 8/27/1980, 5OT.97
The seven well-preserved Queen Anne style residences within the district were constructed between 1896 and 1905, as the town recovered from an economic depression. A variety of materials were used in the construction of these one- and two-story dwellings.
Daniel Sciumbato Grocery Store
706 2nd St.
National Register 5/17/1984, 5OT.91
The circa 1908 Sciumbato Grocery is one of the earliest and most intact neighborhood grocery stores in La Junta. This type of commercial structure characterized residential neighborhoods from the late 19th century to the early 20th century. Also typical of the period is the attached residence of the store owner.
St. Patrick’s Catholic Church
7th & Raton
State Register 12/9/1998, 5OT.709
Now the Holy Cross Lutheran Church, the Late Gothic Revival style church and rectory were designed by prominent Denver architect John K. Monroe. Monroe served for many years as the principal architect for the Catholic Archdiocese of Denver and designed numerous churches, schools, and other archdiocesan structures throughout northern Colorado. Constructed in 1941, St. Patrick’s is one of Monroe’s earliest commissions, and it is his only known church project in southeastern Colorado. (1998 photograph.)
Comanche National Grasslands
State Register 12/13/1995, 5OT.551
This 500-acre archaeological district includes sites containing prehistoric rock art, architecture, artifacts, and refuse. (1995 photograph.)
Santa Fe Railway Manzanola Depot
212 N. Grand
State Register 3/10/2004, National Register 4/28/2004, 5OT.421
The 1913 Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway provided the gateway for passengers traveling to and from the community during much of the 20th century. Serving both as a freight and passenger depot, the Manzanola facility coordinated shipments to and from local merchants and producers. The building is an excellent intact example of the Santa Fe’s County Seat-type of combination passenger and freight depots. Built to replace older first generation depots, the brick County Seat-type featured solid brick construction, functional convenience, and Mission Revival inspired styling which reflected both the operational area served by the railroad and its adopted corporate image. (1997 photograph.)
Adobe Stables, Arkansas Valley Fairgrounds
800 N. 9th St.
National Register 12/26/2007, 5OT.478
The Adobe Stables, constructed in 1938 by the Works Progress Administration (WPA), are an important record of the federal relief programs administered on Colorado’s eastern plains during the Great Depression. The stables were one of a series of WPA improvement projects at the Arkansas Valley Fairgrounds that provided a significant source of employment. It is the best surviving example of WPA work in Rocky Ford. The WPA used adobe for many of its eastern Colorado projects as it was both inexpensive and labor intensive - a good fit with the agency’s objectives to ensure that most of the money went to labor rather than materials. As most adobe was stuccoed, the exposed adobe walls of the stables allow an uncommon opportunity to examine the construction methods more closely. The stables, a rare example of exposed adobe WPA construction, remained in use until the 1990s. The property is associated with the New Deal Resources on Colorado’s Eastern Plains Multiple Property Submission. (2006 photograph.) More information (PDF, 1.06 MB).
Arkansas Valley Fairgrounds
National Register 9/27/1996, 5OT.457
This 1901 building is associated with the development of the Arkansas Valley Fair, an annual event important to the social history of the area. It is a well-preserved example of a building constructed in the Octagon Mode, a building type that enjoyed a measure of popularity during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. (1996 photograph.)
Carnegie Public Library (Rocky Ford Historical Museum)
1005 Sycamore St.
National Register 11/7/1995, 5OT.193
The 1908 building reflects the nationwide public library movement sponsored by steel manufacturer and philanthropist, Andrew Carnegie. The building is an interesting combination of locally-produced ornamental concrete block (also called "artificial stone") and brick, and represents the initial appearance of Neo-Classical architecture in Rocky Ford. Architect Walter Dubree designed the building. (1997 photograph.)
405 S. Main St.
State Register 9/10/1997, 5OT.577
Constructed in 1935, the Grand Theatre is important for its long term use as a local entertainment center and for its ability to convey changes in movie theater design. Its modernized facade, neon marquee, and portions of the lobby area date from 1950, while much of the original 1935 Art Deco interior detailing remains intact. (1996 photograph.)
Rocky Ford Post Office
401 N. 9th St.
National Register 1/16/2008, 5OT.935
A project of the Public Works Administration (PWA), the Rocky Ford Post Office is associated with President Franklin Roosevelt’s New Deal legislative agenda. The federal government used the construction of new post offices to aid the economy through expenditures for materials and construction crews. The only PWA project in Rocky Ford, it provided the town with its first purpose-built post office. Designed by the U.S. Treasury Department’s Office of the Supervising Architect under the direction of Louis A. Simon, the Neo-classically-inspired building is simple and restrained. It has been the only post office in Rocky Ford since it opened in 1936. The property is associated with the New Deal Resources on Colorado’s Eastern Plains Multiple Property Submission. (1983 photograph.) More information (PDF, 786 kb).
14519 W. Hwy. 50, Rocky Ford vicinity
State Register 12/11/1996, 5OT.557
This 1918 two-story brick school, with a large auditorium, functioned well as a community center and remains virtually intact. Denver architects Mountjoy, French and Frewen incorporated a passive solar heat circulation system into this well-executed example of the Mediterranean Revival style. (2014 photograph.)
Santa Fe Trail Mountain Route Trail Segments – Timpas Vicinity Address restricted
National Register listed 2/23/2016, 5OT.234.35
These trail segments are part of the larger Santa Fe Trail Mountain Route that provided a vital transportation link between the United States and the newly independent Mexico fostering not only commercial trade, but also establishing social ties that were pivotal to regional development and expansion of the United States from 1832-1879. Contrary to popular perception, the Santa Fe Trail was not a single trail with two branches, but a complex transportation system made up of various routes, starting points, and destinations. The sites contain visible trail ruts of the Santa Fe Trail Mountain Route where merchants, trappers, traders, explorers, settlers, gold seekers, health seekers, religious missionaries, entrepreneurs, investors, Native Americans, and the military were among the various individuals who traveled the route. They journeyed by foot, horseback, pack animals, wagons, and stagecoaches along the internationally known travel route. The trail segments are nationally significant in the areas of transportation, commerce, military, social history, and exploration/ settlement. They also have the potential to provide information relevant to aboriginal and non-aboriginal historical archaeology.
The National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution (NSDAR or commonly known as the DAR) erected a monument in 1908 recognizing the importance of the Santa Fe Trail Mountain Route and those who traveled it. These trail segments were listed in association with and met the requirements of the Historic Resources of the Santa Fe Trail, 1821-1880 Multiple Property Documentation Form (MPDF).