County Rd. No. 1
State Register 12/13/2000, 5OR.1173
Surrounded by agricultural fields, the two-story Colona School building can easily be seen from a distance, thereby serving as a local visual landmark. The building served the Colona area south of Montrose as its only high school from 1916 until 1928, and it was the community’s only grade school from 1916 until 1948. Since 1963, the building has been owned by the Colona Grange. The organization, which serves the social, political, and economic interests of its members, began meeting in the building in 1916. Like most rural schools, the building also hosted a wide variety of civic and social functions, and it continues to serve as the only active meeting place in the surrounding area.
3rd St. & 5th Ave.
National Register 10/30/1973, 5OR.62
Opened in 1887, the three-story brick and wood resort hotel was designed by architect O. Bulow. The interior was modeled after Denver’s Brown Palace Hotel and featured a rotunda encircled by balconies, cathedral glass skylights, rosewood paneling, and an oak staircase. In its heyday, the Beaumont attracted guests such as Sarah Bernhardt and Theodore Roosevelt. By the early 20th century, it suffered from financial setbacks, but tourism picked up again after World War II. Later, the hotel fell into disrepair and stood empty for many years. Plans for rehabilitation were initiated in 1998. (1889 photograph.)
Uncompahgre National Forest, Ouray vicinity
National Register 3/30/2005, 5OR.1377 / 5SM.3805
Straddling the Ouray & San Miguel County lines near Telluride at an elevation of over 13,000 feet, Fort Peabody is associated with Colorado’s hard-rock labor strikes of 1903-04. A local Colorado National Guard unit constructed this redoubt in early 1904. Consisting of a small guardhouse, a flag mount, and what some characterized as a sniper’s nest, troops occupied the defensive fortification until martial law was revoked in June of that year. Built for a single purpose - to prevent members of the Western Federation of Miners, union sympathizers, and previously deported men from entering San Miguel County by way of Imogene Pass - the site illustrates how quickly and often illegally mine owner management gained control of local government and the Colorado National Guard to run roughshod over the legal, political, and economic rights of union members. The fort was named for then Governor James H. Peabody, who used the national guard to realize the anti-union objectives of the mine owners. The site tells the story of conquest, class, and the role of state government. It epitomizes the conflict between mine owners and the Western Federation of Miners, the questionable use of the national guard, and the discrimination faced by union members. (2004 photograph.)
Ouray City Hall & Walsh Library
6th Ave. between 3rd & 4th Sts.
National Register 4/16/1975, 5OR.61
Completed around 1901, the two-story building was commissioned by Tom Walsh, who owned and operated the local Camp Bird mine. It featured a combination of Roman, Greek, and American Victorian architectural elements. In 1950, the building suffered major fire damage. (1997 photograph.)
Ouray Historic District
US Hwy. 550
National Register 10/6/1983, 5OR.585
Located in the San Juan mountains, the district encompasses almost the entire historic townsite and reflects Ouray’s importance as a supply center for the nearby mining regions from 1886 to 1915. The buildings within the district represent a variety of styles, with brick Italianate structures predominating in the commercial area. Primarily frame residential structures are found on the hillsides overlooking the town. The property is associated with the Mining Industry in Colorado Multiple Property Submission. (Western Hotel, 1997 photograph.) More information (PDF, 12.6 MB)
523 W. Clinton
State Register 8/14/1991, 5OR.772
Constructed in 1911, the two-story brick and stone, Richardsonian Romanesque style building is associated with Amos E. Walther, who played an important role in the development of the town of Ridgway. In addition to the Bank of Ridgway, which operated until 1931, the first floor of the building housed a variety of businesses over the years, including the post office and a pharmacy. Office tenants occupied the second floor. (1996 photograph.)
Bounded by Sherman, Lena, Clinton St., and D&RG right-of-way
State Register 8/14/1991, 5OR.999
D.C. Hartwell purchased the land for a new town from local ranchers and started selling lots in 1890. He and other members of the Ridgway Townsite Company graded, seeded, and fenced the parcel of land designated as a community park. In 1892, they solicited help in planting 100 trees in recognition of Arbor Day. Many of these trees remain on the site. Over the years, ownership of the park changed hands several times. In 1898, the Ridgway Town Board took over its administration, and the town now owns and maintains the park. (1991 photograph.)
146 N. Cora St.
State Register 8/14/1991, 5OR.111
The Herran House was constructed during 1890-91 by Thomas Herran, a local farmer and painter. Completed within a week of the legal incorporation of the town of Ridgway, the two-story brick building originally functioned as a hotel and boarding house. It changed hands over the years, and in 1941 it was bought by Marvin Huntington Sherbino, who ran the hotel until its closure in 1973.
State Register 8/14/1991, 5OR.998
Designed and constructed in 1905 by noted local builder John Edgar, the 1½-story wood frame house incorporates Dutch Colonial elements with Victorian and Queen Anne detailing. It was originally built for J.G. and Nellie Miller, who arrived in Ridgway with the Denver Rio Grande Railroad. In 1911, the Millers sold the house to another D&RG employee, Harold Holmes. Holmes and his wife lived in the house until 1930. They sold it to Hazel and Fred Duckett, owners of the Pioneer Grocery, who lived there for 42 years. Mrs. Duckett raised canaries, and it was during the Duckett’s ownership that it became known as "the canary house."
George Jackson House
129 Citadel Dr.
National Register 1/11/1996, 5OR.113
This 1887 house is a good local example of the combination of the popular late 19th century Queen Anne and Italianate styles. The house is associated with community planning and development activities in the Ridgway / Ouray area. It also served as the Ouray County Poor Farm for twenty-three years. (1997 photograph.)
282 S. Mary
State Register 8/14/1991, 5OR.791
Built in 1910, the 1½-story wood frame residence features many stylistic characteristics associated with vernacular classic cottages. It features a full width porch and a hipped roof with multiple dormers. From 1910 to 1981, descendants of William Bruce Phillips, an early homesteader in the Uncompaghre Valley, inhabited the house. It has undergone some minor alterations since its construction. (1991 photograph.)
191 S. Charlotte
State Register 8/14/1991, 5OR.792
Constructed in 1910, the dwelling’s two-story square plan and hipped roof is typical of the Foursquare building type. Clad with its original tin siding, the house also features interior and exterior spindle work characteristic of the builder Andrew Rasmussen. Rasmussen was a respected metalworker and craftsman who invented equipment that enabled the Rio Grande Southern Railroad to function in the climate and altitude of the region. The house remained in the family until the 1970s. (1991 photograph.)
Sherbino Building / Theater
604 N. Clinton
State Register 8/14/1991, 5OR.1368
Significant for its role in the social and cultural heritage of the town of Ridgway, the simple one-story brick building was designed by Gus Kullerstrand and built in 1915 by Louis Sherbino. Over the years, it functioned as a movie theater, a dance hall, a skating rink, and a community center. For a time it housed the Ridgway Post Office. In 1968, a boardwalk shielded with a fiberglass shingled roof was added in order to accommodate the filming of the movie "True Grit." Although the theater stage is now gone, most of the interior remains intact. (1996 photograph.)
709 W. Clinton
State Register 8/14/1991, 5OR.776
Considered to be a good local example of the Queen Anne style, the one-story brick house, with a corner porch, was designed by Gus Kullerstrand of Ouray. Built in 1914, it features triple gabled roof dormers on the east side of its complex roof. Over the years, several prominent Ridgway citizens inhabited the house. (1991 photograph.)
State Register 8/14/1991, 5OR.781
Completed in 1900, the 1½-story residence is a vernacular wood frame building with Neoclassical style elements that are considered unusual for Ouray County. Classical columns accent the front porch. A large shed roof dormer, with five one-over-one windows, is located on the front slope of the steeply pitched side gabled roof. Designed by Ouray architect Gus Kullerstrand, the house was built for the Amos Walther family. Walther was a prominent Ridgway businessman, banker, rancher, and politician. (1991 photograph.)