Patrons may take reference photographs of collection materials for study purposes only. Photography is permitted based on the physical condition of materials, donor restrictions, U.S. copyright law, and reading room rules.
Reading Room procedures
• Researchers must obtain permission from library staff before taking any photographs.
• Architectural plans may not be photographed.
• Researchers must include the History Colorado identification strip in each photograph taken.
• Researchers must maintain a written list of items photographed and deliver their list to library staff at the conclusion of their visit.
Materials Handling guidelines
• Handle the materials with care. Keep materials flat on the table or supported by a book cradle. Page weights and book supports are available upon request.
• Turn off flash and sound on cameras. Tripods and scanners are not permitted.
• Ask library staff for assistance with fastened items or plastic sleeves.
• Researchers may not disturb other patrons, place themselves or others in jeopardy, or take extraordinary measures (i.e., standing on furniture) while photographing.
• Researchers may use photographs for personal use and research only.
• Additional permission is required for publication.
• Photographs may not be donated, sold, or provided to another repository or individual.
History Colorado reserves the right to deny permission to photograph collection materials based on item conditions, donor restrictions, or copyright considerations.
Contact the Library
Stephen H. Hart Library and Research Center
History Colorado Center
Denver, CO 80203