PHOTOS OF AND FROM HISTORY COLORADO PROPERTIES AND COLLECTIONS
Information about the History Colorado collection is available from the Stephen H. Hart Library. Visitors are welcome to take photographs of History Colorado properties and exhibits for personal use, not to be published in any public forum, including in print, on disk, or on the internet. Images for any publication or public display must be obtained from History Colorado staff, with written permission. Photographic images of or from History Colorado properties or collections are available, unless restricted, for a fee based on the size and format of the image and its intended use. Obtaining images of the collection, exhibits, or properties means that you agree to comply with the History Colorado collections use conditions as described in this document and in the “Collections Use Agreement” completed at time of purchase.
Unless otherwise specified in the Collections Use Agreement, purchase of photographic images, scans or otherwise obtaining images of or from the collection or properties constitutes agreement to comply with the conditions below:
1. The user assumes responsibility for questions of copyright that may arise.
2. History Colorado departmental policies determine access to and photography of its artifacts, exhibits, and properties. The Stephen H. Hart Library Copy Policy governs copy services for the Photograph and Books & Manuscripts collections. No scanners may be used in the library to copy documentary and photographic materials. Researchers are welcome to take notes and are advised to include proper citations for future identification of materials. Permission to use a camera to make research copies of some materials in the Stephen H. Hart Library may be granted according to the conditions of the Camera Use Policies & Agreement form.
3. History Colorado reserves the right to limit the number of photographic copies; to restrict the use for reproduction of rare or valuable material; to ensure that reproductions are of high quality, in good taste, and that the use is consistent with the mission of History Colorado; and to make special quotations for material involving unusual difficulty in copying. Before publication, History Colorado reserves the right to require a proof for approval prior to publication.
4. Images may be used only as described in the Collections Use Agreement. Permission is granted when that form is signed and dated by both parties, all fees are paid, and all conditions have been met. Rights for single, one-time use are granted unless otherwise stated on the form, and further use of any kind requires subsequent written permission and may require additional fees. Rights are not transferable without written permission. Subsequent printing or editions, such as book club, paperback, electronic format, or international editions require further written permission and may require payment of additional fees.
5. Published or publicly displayed images must be credited as described in the Collections Use Agreement. Credit must accompany the image in a caption or display label, or on a credit page or screen, to read, “Image(s) courtesy, History Colorado (Collection Name, Scan #)”. Published copy must include all identifying information incorporated into the supplied scan, such as scan # and/or copyright notice. A signed and fully paid Collections Use Agreement must be completed for permission to use images to be granted.
6. Requests for image adjustment such as cropping, overprinting, colorization, detail shots, or cleanup of historical images must be made in writing. Details and adjustments must be identified as such. Photo studio staff is available to discuss the final product and provide an estimate of cost.
7. History Colorado may request a complimentary copy of any publication, reproduction, or product using History Colorado materials (images of artifacts, properties, photographs,facsimiles, or transcriptions from documents), which must be sent to the Stephen H. Hart Library within 3 months of publication date.
8. In addition to processing and product fees, additional fees may be charged for reproduction or commercial use.
9. Fees for photo products, processing and use are subject to change. Commercial use fees are waived for Colorado non-profit organizations or university presses engaging in non-commercial publication, or for the use of photographs by Colorado news media in newspaper articles, newscasts, or non-commercial documentaries upon receipt of proof of proper credit given. In no case are fees waived for scans, prints, or other photographic products provided by the History Colorado Photo Studio. Proof of non-profit status is required for a waiver of fees.
10. Permission for resale of History Colorado images is not part of this agreement.
11. Images to be used on the web must be obtained from History Colorado. The resolution of images used on the web must not exceed 72 d.p.i. The image credit must appear on the page/screen on which the image appears. Additional conditions for web use will be included in the Collections Use Agreement.
Contact the Library
Stephen H. Hart Library and Research Center
History Colorado Center
Denver, CO 80203