2016 Stephen. H Hart Awards for Historic Preservation
14th Annual Governor's Award for Historic Preservation
City of Leadville, Mayor Jamie Stuever, and Overland Property Group
Rehabilitation of the Tabor Grand Hotel
Built between 1883 and 1885 using contributions from Leadville Silver King Horace Tabor, the Tabor Grand Hotel has gone through more than a century of busts and booms. Today the grand building survives as not only an architectural treasure but also a testament to the dedication of its community. Led by Mayor Jamie Stuever, the City of Leadville, in partnership with Overland Property Group, rehabilitated the building to accommodate 37 affordable housing apartments, showing that high-style historic architecture can create opportunities for the community outside of luxury lodging.
State Archaeologist’s Award
Roxborough State Park
Fostering a Positive Public Appreciation for the Archaeological Heritage of Roxborough State Park
As one of only two Archaeological Districts listed in the National Register of Historic Places in the Denver metro area, Roxborough State Park, led by Volunteer and Interpretive Services Manager Angel Tobin, has taken active steps since 2011 to create robust educational and outreach opportunities that engage visitors in the archaeological history of the area. Through hands-on events, activities, and programs, Roxborough State Park’s recent efforts are going above and beyond to educate volunteers and visitors on the archaeological history of the region.
Stephen H. Hart Awards
David Tomkins and Partners
Restoration of Como Depot
One of three surviving structures listed in the National Register of Historic Places as part of the Como Roundhouse, Railroad Depot, and Hotel Complex, the Como Depot was built in 1879 as a major terminal on the Denver & South Park Railroad line. In 2008 after the depot had been neglected for more than 70 years of neglect, David Tomkins and partners began work to preserve the deteriorated building. In 2015 after years of challenges, the Depot reopened for public use.
Stewards of the Little Church in the Pines
Preservation of the Little Church in the Pines
Built in 1908, the quaint Little Church in the Pines in the small mining community of Salina in Boulder is maintained by a small membership whose efforts in the last five years have been exemplary stewards, preserving the historic church following disasters like the devastating 2013 floods through swift community action and dedication, all while upholding appropriate preservation standards.