For over 35 years, History Colorado and the Colorado Department of Agriculture have recognized the important role that agriculture has played in our state’s history and economic development through the Centennial Farms & Ranches program, celebrated each year at the Colorado State Fair in Pueblo.
Above: Kochis Farm homestead, 2009. Photo courtesy of the Kochis Farm.
Search by County
Search for Centennial Farms and Ranches designated since 2011 by entering a county.
In 1878, the Jillson Family homesteaded Section 22 in the Rinn area of Weld County before purchasing the land eight years later. Bryon Jillson was one of the first in the area to raise Hereford cattle. Byron and Jennie’s children all attended the Idaho Creek schoolhouse.
The original 320 acres of Moffat County land were homesteaded in 1911 by Olive and George Boughton. In 1917 the ranch grew by 320 acres when the homestead of Tom Allen, who Olive married after George had died, was added.
The original 160 acres of Kanode Ranch was purchased by George and Myrtle Spicer in 1917. It was then sold to their daughter, Edith, and her husband Keithley Lamm, who also bought more land on which to raise wheat and feed crops. They milked cows, raised chickens to sell eggs, and ran a cow-calf herd.
Henry Brand, his wife Lottie and two of their children Minnie and George came from Nebraska and settled north of Sugar City in Crowley County in 1911. Here claims were filed on four 320 acre homesteads which were proved up and patents received in 1912.
In 1909 Alex and Clara Kindvall built a sod home on their newly acquired 320-acre Weld County homestead. They lived in their sod house for fifty years, raising kids Otis and Doris. On the farm they raised a different sort: livestock, including horses, hogs, chicken, and both cattle and dairy cows.
In early 1910 Theodore Congdon Lippitt moved to Colorado from Iowa with his wife and three sons. By March he had begun cultivating land he bought northwest of Fleming, where he built farm buildings and a house.
When the Kirkendall Family moved to Colorado from Emporia, Kansas, to live on the land they bought, they had to start from scratch. George and his son, Floyd, bought adjoining 320-acre homesteads for their families.
In 1869 Rudolph Knoblauch immigrated to San Francisco after he spent twenty years as a chef on a ship. He left San Francisco for Denver in 1881 where he bought 160 acres where the present day Civic Center stands. There he bought a cafe where he met his wife, Katherine Rausch. The two married and moved to Del Norte where they eventually bought 160 acres west of town and bought another cafe.