In the fall of 1894, the Boulder Presbyterian congregation voted to build a new church. Denver Architect Franklin Eugene Kidder was hired to design the building and the contract was signed on August 10, 1895, with work beginning 10 days later. Kidder was a notable Denver architect who also designed Chautauqua Auditorium. The builder was Frank Allison, the lowest bidder at $8,340. Since 1907, the property has evolved into a complex of buildings encompassing a city block in Boulder.
During the 1860s, the 17 Mile House served as a rest stop for pioneers traveling along the Cherokee and Smoky Hill wagon trails. The property is one of the few remaining "mile houses" located along those historic routes, which were developed to facilitate the movement of gold seekers and settlers on horseback and wagons across the plains into Denver and the Rocky Mountains. The house was known as the 17 Mile House, since it was 17 miles from the intersection of Colfax Avenue and Broadway in Denver. Mile houses were located every two to three miles along the historic trails.
On September 27, 1912, after fires had twice destroyed downtown Salida, City Council approved the purchase of their first motorized fire engine, a 1911 Kissel fire truck, which cost $5,300 and functioned rather like a large, fire extinguisher expelling carbon dioxide created by a mix of acid and alkaline water.
Since 1998, Colorado Preservation, Inc., has hosted an annual Saving Places Conference to advance historic preservation through focused dialogues among representatives from industry, academia, government, and nonprofits.
Since 2007, fifteen Colorado Preserve America Youth Summits have engaged over 500 Colorado students, grades 7–12, and teachers in hands-on, interactive historic preservation activities to cultivate appreciation and knowledge of historic places and preservation practice.
Since 2008, the History Colorado State Historical Fund has served as a major funder for the Colorado Preserve America Youth Summit, an award-winning educational program designed to engage middle and high school students in heritage tourism, economic revitalization and historic preservation.
This grant will provide funds for the immediate stabilization and exterior restoration of the Ford Barn, one of two significant log structures standing on the historic 4 Bar 4 Ranch Stagecoach Station & Hotel site, located approximately four miles northwest of the Town of Fraser.