Camp Amache was a World War II-era Japanese internment camp. Located near Granada, Colorado, it encompassed ten square miles of farmland and ranches where the internees worked during their forcible relocation.
A community cornerstone and essential cultural resource, the Cañon City Library has served local residents for over 110 years. Built in 1902 through the extensive efforts of the local Ladies Library Association, the Carnegie-funded library was established to offer residents a much-needed space for reading and research.
Built in 1882, the Cash Criss Building in St. Elmo was home to Reuben Cash, a lawyer from Missouri. He practiced law and lived there until 1886, when he moved to Buena Vista. In 1887, local store owner James Criss purchased the building. As St. Elmo’s mining fortunes began to decline, the Stark family began purchasing buildings around town in order to stave off their abandonment and collapse. Eventually the Cash Criss Building was donated to Historic St. Elmo and Chalk Creek Canyon Inc.
Before it was the Castle Rock Depot, it was the 1875 Denver & Rio Grande Railroad Depot, a stop along the D&RG Railroad. A century later in 1970, the rhyolite building was transformed into a private residence until 1996 when the Castle Rock Historical Society bought the building to reopen it for public use as the Castle Rock Historical Museum.
Denver’s visionary Art Deco architect Temple Buell knew how to leave his mark -- you can see it in the vertical red brick spandrels on the 1933 Catherine Mullen Memorial Nurses Home in Denver. From a distance, the brick that creeps up the building and extends beyond the roofline almost resembles a rustic wheat tuft, evoking a regal feel, but without frivolity or ostentation -- a quality Buell mastered.
Designed by Temple Buell in 1933, the Catherine Mullen Memorial Nurses Home, otherwise known as the Mullen Building, was a state-of-the-art residence and nursing school for the nurses of Saint Joseph Hospital (SJH).