National and State Register
All Saints Episcopal Church / Chapel of our Merciful Savior
James Murdoch, an important Denver architect during the late 19th and early 20th centuries, designed the 1890 church building. Its Victorian German style reflects the large number of German immigrants populating the neighborhood. A soaring steeple on a corner bell tower distinguishes this refurbished red-brick Gothic Revival chapel. Rhyolite trims the entrance beneath a rose window. Inside, the original carved wood statues, pulpit, baptismal font, and pews survive under hammered ceiling beams set in a herringbone pattern.
To restore the church and repair its historic pipe organ, the Episcopal Diocese of Colorado used more than $200,000 in SHF grants and its own matching funds. SHF funds also helped put up vented protective glass over the historic stained-glass windows. Redoing the gutters, downspouts, masonry, and installing new roof shingles as well as door repair and replacement, inspired the church and the community also to transform the weedy vacant lot next door into a pocket park.