Situated in the heart of the San Juan Mountains, Animas Forks is a historic abandoned mining town established in 1875.
Named for its location along the Animas River, the town was a bustling center of hard-rock silver and gold prospecting; however, after economic downturns and two devastating fires, Animas Forks eventually became little more than a ghost town. Nevertheless, the empty structures exemplify the determination of the region’s early settlers, and they see over 400,000 visitors annually. Illustrating late 19th- and early 20th-century vernacular architecture, nine standing buildings remain, four of which require stabilization. With this year’s SHF funding, these structures will receive the attention they desperately need in order to continue educating and inspiring for years to come.