From now until election day admission will be free every weekend at the History Colorado Center. Click here for details.
National and State Register
The Como Cemetery was established by the Town of Como in 1887, when a previous burial ground was closed due to its location just above a spring that provided water for some residents, leading to fears it was a possible source of water contamination. The Town Board enacted an ordinance requiring all burials in the old cemetery be removed to the new one. Como Cemetery provided funerary services for residents of Como, surrounding small settlements, and the broader rural ranching and mining area.
It served as the site for the mass funeral and burial of seventeen victims of the January 1893 industrial accident at the King Coal Mine southeast of Como that claimed the lives of twenty-five mostly Italian miners. The burial ground includes a noteworthy collection of markers, monuments, and grave enclosures that reflect common artistic values of the late-nineteenth and early-twentieth centuries. The still active burial ground meets the registration requirements for listing under the Park County, Colorado, Historic Cemeteries Multiple Property Documentation Form (MPDF) under the property type “Town Cemetery.”