Frank E. Edbrooke is credited with the design of the numerous components making up this massive red brick commercial building, which extends along California Street between 16th and 15th streets. Between 1888-1924, the original three-story building grew along with one of Denver’s most successful retail operations.
Founded as the McNamara Dry Goods Company in 1886, the business reorganized as the Denver Dry Goods Company in 1894 and continued to serve its customers well into the 1980s. The downtown store was noted for its wide range of merchandise and large tea room, which served as a popular gathering place. Rehabilitation projects during the 1990s converted the building to accommodate a variety of retail, office, and residential uses. The property is associated with the Historic Resources of Downtown Denver Multiple Property Submission.