Denver & Rio Grande Railroad South Fork Water Tank
Rio Grande County
The 1881 tank provided water for countless steam locomotives from its construction in 1881 until the end of steam locomotive operations in 1956. Tanks of identical design, materials and construction were built throughout the D&RG system in the last two decades of the 19th century.
Only a handful of these structures survive on the D&RG, and this tank is the only surviving example along the 66-mile Creede Branch. Listed under Railroads in Colorado Multiple Property Submission.