In 1915 with all his belongings and livestock, Frank E. Carnes traveled by train from Nebraska to Haxtun, Colorado, where he purchased a 160-acre farm for $4,800.
He soon met Evelyn Bricker, and the two were married in 1918. The couple built a two-story, five-bedroom home on the property, raised cattle, and farmed wheat, oats, millet, and alfalfa. The Carnes farmed for 50 years before their daughter, Lois Kipp, and her husband, Wilbur Kipp, took over. In 1985 Lois’s two sons, Brian and Darin, began to farm the land. The original buildings built by Frank Carnes in the early 20th century, including the two-story house, no longer exist on the property. Today the land has been set aside in the USDA Conservation Reserve Program.