The cluster of log cabins and cabin ruins remaining on the site are associated with early mining history in the Upper Roaring Fork area of eastern Pitkin County.
Most of the buildings in the settlement, which extended along the Roaring Fork River, have collapsed or lack roofs. Located on the Independence Pass wagon road between Aspen and Leadville, the town served as a good stopping point for travelers. Population reportedly grew from 150 miners in 1881 to approximately 2,000 residents during the mid-1880s. By the late 1880s, fewer than 100 residents remained, and most commercial enterprises had either closed or relocated to Aspen. The property is associated with the Mining Industry in Colorado Multiple Property Submission.