Located on Republican Mountain, midway between Georgetown and Silver Plume, the facility was a key component in the early development and prosperity of Georgetown.
The mill was patented in 1872 by Julius G. Pohle, Superintendent of the Lebanon Mining Company. Few mills of its size survived past 1880 due to the influx of eastern capital and the rise of large corporate mining complexes. The two-story wood frame structure contained machinery driven by a horizontal water wheel, and the mill dam spanned Clear Creek. The property is associated with the Mining Industry in Colorado Multiple Property Submission.