Owen F. Leroux was originally a cowboy and miner who grazed cattle in southern and central Colorado in the mid 1800’s.
His future father-in-law John Winslow, one of the first settlers in the Radium Sheephorn Valley, suggested Owen should settle down and homestead. Owen reportedly responded that there would be plenty of public ground available for grazing in the west so there is no need to homestead.
Owen later married Winslow’s daughter, Ida, and decided to settle down in 1905. Following Owen’s death Ida and her children operated as the Leroux Cattle Company and purchased a number of properties in the area from original homesteaders.
Son W.R. and wife Lucille purchased his brother’s Arthur and John’s interest in the company and the land. Part of the ranch was sold in 1973 but the original homestead was retained. Son Michael started buying the ranch in 1977 and purchased his siblings final interests in 2008. Angus and Herford cattle are raised today and a conservation easement has been placed on the property with the Division of Wildlife to provide habitat for big game.