In 1891 just six years after Peter and Sarah Ferguson acquired property in Ouray County, Thomas Middleton bought it and began cultivating the now-named Middleton Ranch.
Over time the property was passed down through the generations, first to Thomas’ son James, then to James’ son Robert. As the Middletons bought more parcels, including some from the Bureau of Land Management, the property grew to to its current 1400 acres.
Over the last century, the Middleton Ranch has raised small grains, alfalfa, and grass hay, cattle, horses, sheep, hogs, chickens, and geese. Today the cattle ranch is operated by Robert’s daughter Catharine Loss. The original farmhouse, barn, and sheds from 1930 are still in use.