National and State Register
Steamboat Springs Downtown Historic District
The Steamboat Springs Downtown Historic District, the center of the business district of the original town site established in 1884, is significant for its long association of providing the residents of Steamboat Springs and surrounding areas with goods and services for over 127 years. The buildings and objects within the area centered around Lincoln Avenue (U.S. Highway 40) reflect the development of the community and its growth and transformation into Yampa Valley’s regional hub.
The district comprises approximately six city blocks, which has a total of fifty-two resources, thirty-six of which are considered contributing. Three buildings are individually listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Approximately forty percent of buildings within the district were constructed during the decade of the train’s arrival in anticipation of growth (1900-1909) or in the decade immediately following (1910-1920).