Denver’s Union Station consists of a Neo Classical central section, constructed in 1914, with flanking wings from the previous 1881 depot. The station represents the consolidation of passenger and baggage facilities for most railroads serving Denver.
The consolidated depot facilitated the transfer of passengers and freight between competing railroads and furthered the city’s growth as a major rail transportation hub. The building continues to serve as Denver’s intercity rail passenger depot, as well as a transfer station for bus and light rail commuters. The property is associated with Railroads in Colorado, 1858-1948 Multiple Property Submission.