Use the filter to search all properties in the state listed in the National Register of Historic Places and the Colorado State Register of Historic Properties. Sites can be searched based on county and/or level of designation.
Constructed in 1911, the twelve-story office building was designed by noted Denver architects William E. and Arthur A. Fisher. While the first and second stories are surfaced with smooth cut granite, the walls are primarily of dark brown brick. The 16th St. facade is composed of seven bays, with segmental arches topping the five central bays.
The 1897 Benson House is an excellent example of the Edwardian style in Loveland. Built for prominent local businessman and politician Aaron Shaw Benson, the two-story brick house retains much of its original material.
The building housed a succession of dry goods and department stores from 1891 to 1970, including: Salomon’s Bazaar (1891-95); A.T. Lewis and Son Department Store (1896-1932); and W.T. Grant Company (1940-70).
Constructed in 1917 to expand the retail space for the A.T. Lewis & Son Dry Goods Company, the six-story annex makes extensive use of sculptural terra cotta ornamentation reminiscent of the work of Chicago architect Louis Sullivan.
Aaron James Eaton, the “Father of Commerce” in Eaton, moved into the new house with his family in 1888. Eaton was one of the town founders, being active and influential in many aspects of community and regional development. He established and operated the town’s first general merchandise store, the First National Bank of Eaton, and the Eaton Building and Loan Association.
The 1906 Adams County Courthouse is an excellent local example of the Classical Revival style. The courthouse exhibits such key elements as a prominent pedimented portico with Tuscan columns, pilasters, and keystones in the window lintels along with a wide frieze and prominent cornice.
The Adobe Stables, constructed in 1938 by the Works Progress Administration (WPA), are an important record of the federal relief programs administered on Colorado’s eastern plains during the Great Depression. The stables were one of a series of WPA improvement projects at the Arkansas Valley Fairgrounds that provided a significant source of employment. It is the best surviving example of WPA work in Rocky Ford.
Built between 1902 and 1904, the design by an unknown architect reflects the Classical Revival style. Both the light colored brick and stone exterior, with seven stained glass and leaded windows, and the elegant interior, with five hand carved fireplaces, remain essentially unaltered.
The Aggie "A" is associated with the history of Colorado State University, the former Colorado Agricultural College. The 1923 "A" is an example of hillside monograms which are distinctive landmarks in western states.